The Kepler Colony: Evacuation (OUT NOW!)

I do get a 404 error saying I can’t continue and need to refresh which is annoying after making so much progress but other then that great game ^^. Does the game finish after you’re done build the ship?

I’m glad you are enjoying it! At the moment, yes; After you launch the ship, if you are on the ship the demo will likely. crash as you stated. If you decide not to go on the ship you should have a final day on Earth.

1 Like

@andymwhy

“Place” shouldn’t be capitalized.

Should be an apostrophe.

There should be a period.

…Typos and other errors I found.

Words cannot describe how badly I want this trilogy to exist. I hope you find the means to write your heart out. Keep up the God-level work, and I will continue to hunt down these pesky bugs and typos!

1 Like

Feedback! How I miss you. Thanks, I’ll get these corrected today.

1 Like

@andymwhy You’re quite welcome. An inquiry, if I may.

The game told me I had the ability to bring one other person on the ship with me. What are our options for that? I kind of want to bring the former intern, because I’m that type of bastard.

She is an option. That part should have been playable. I will check that.

1 Like

Here’s an interesting article about what it would take to kill all life on Earth.

Our asteroid is smaller than the one mentioned here, but would still be large enough to take out most (if not all) humans.

2 Likes

Glad to see this game back, I always enjoyed it. However I couldn’t get to the new part because I got a 404 error both times I tried. I don’t remember the year but it immediately followed the news story about Korea and Japan going to war both times. Maybe around half way to D-day? Probably less.

I also found a bug when hiring scientists. I hired 10 right away on year one and was told I had 20, but from then on was given 30 scientists every year.

Plus only about half of the profile pictures worked, although I have had similar problems before because I play on my phone.

Again I love this game and can’t wait to try again once you get things smoothed out.

2 Likes

[quote=“andymwhy, post:209, topic:7383”]
That part should have been playable.
[/quote]Really? Yeah, I wasn’t able to get to it.

@SeventhJackel Ah! I know the problem now. I must have missed a file when uploading. I’ll sort it when I get to a computer (around 12-14 hours from now).

@Voldy same problem. 14 hours and fixed :slight_smile:

1 Like

I managed to get to a computer and make the changes via dropbox. Everything should work now and the demo should be playable right up to the last year.
Errors after launching the spaceship or reaching year 26 should be expected. If you find any other errors, please let me know.

Edit: Oh, be sure to clear your cache before playing!

Demo Link:
https://dashingdon.com/go/1645

6 Likes

A couple on my end:

• Damien, Binny, Art and Sally’s portraits still isn’t appearing (bear in mind I’m using a phone/tablet)
  • As you get a video call from the nations leader, I got “from the president” rather than Prime Minister, whilst playing as England.
  • I believe there’s something wrong with scientist hiring, I hired 2 (thus having 12 total) and the text reads 12, but when I go to allocate to projects it claims I have 22 to use.
  • When I allocate scientists to Food Replication or Space Elevator the text says I allocated them to Cryogenics.
  • Damien still asks for my yearly budget, even though he’s left the project.

Still major hyped for this yo, the writing and coding is phenomenal :ok_hand::muscle:

3 Likes

So I’m curious to know what everyone else did?
Captain Eric

1. Built all the Housing modules as “luxury.”
    -He felt that people in space would be under enough stress as it was and believed that ensuring as much comfort as possible would minimize the inherent social and emotional problems that came with stuffing people aboard a single ship for what might be generations.
  2. Refused to engage in Damien’s weapons investment plan.
    -He felt that the people involved in this project would become “founding father” figures and he did not want the next generation of Americans to take the moral stance that expediency justifies evil actions.
  3. Did not sell seats.
    -Thought it was meaningless given that he was confident that he could build the ship in time.
  4. Gave aid to Japan.
    -Personally felt it was stupid but did it under the perhaps foolish belief that the President would feel grateful and give him more tickets to save more members of his staff (is immensely peeved that this didn’t turn out to be the case).
  5. Seat choices
    -Originally wanted to save Beatrice and Thomas (felt they would improve the moral fiber of the next society). When Beatrice refused he decided to give it to Binny as the youngest.
  6. Ship storage
    -Took animal/plant DNA first since this was crucial and couldn’t be rebuilt on a new planet.
    -Medical equipment second since he was concerned about what would happen in an enclosed ship.
1 Like

Some images don’t work in the demo (for example beatrice and binny’s)

edit: also I am 3 years past the deadline, with counter now being in the negative yet still giving me the options of finishing up the ship.

2 Likes

@Ringleader thanks for spotting those. I’ll get onto all of them asap.

@MasterChief117John maybe the whole asteroid was a hoax… No, at present anything beyond Year 25 should be ignored. I haven’t finished writing it yet.

@Lucienz1 it seems your moral compass guided you well with each decision. Yet were they the right choices? With more money and less room per person on the ship, could you not have saved more people?

2 Likes

Honestly, yes.

Captain Eric actually didn’t see saving as many people as possible as a priority. All he wanted was enough to ensure humanity’s survival and scientists say 2,000 people are enough for that purpose (and he had considerably more than that). While he couldn’t build everything he wanted to, he felt the combination of housing modules with a few cryogenic pods was sufficient for that goal. He also wasn’t able to build the Underground Bunker but then again he felt it wasn’t his job, his mission statement was to build a spaceship and the US with it’s federal budget honestly should have funded that independent of his mission statement. The last thing he wanted was class warfare on a small spaceship, which is why he decided early on to build luxury housing modules and only luxury modules since he felt mixing them up was asking for trouble.

That said, he wasn’t completely pure. Although he thought the Chinese (with their Lunar Base) was way too dangerous to play games with (what if they shoot down the spaceship with a nuke like Japan did to Korea), he was super annoyed that Brazil lent him their police for only one year since he had already funded military support during the year they made the deal and never bothered to build the component he promised them.
-He feels vaguely guilty and wonders whether he’s potentially created a future Brazilian/US space war.

In contrast he was very annoyed that despite saving the human race he only got two tickets (he would have saved the twins but thought it was too cruel to save only one of them since he knew Thomas, scientist and morally upright, was his first choice.

Out of curiosity, I had three questions:

1. Did giving aid to Japan and putting the President in “his debt” actually change anything? The Captain was really hoping that political favor would pay off.

2. How did the Captain get Marlon’s daughter a seat on the spaceship? I said I would try because I genuinely didn’t know if I would get any seats but then she never showed up again so I was wondering if she ever ended up with a seat.

3. Is there no possibility of engaging in quiet corruption to get a one or two extra seats for your staff? I mean given that I can set the criteria on who gets a seat I assume during a 10% “lottery system” I could potentially rig a few?
    My captain didn’t use a lottery system but if one of his aides had suggested the idea to him that’s literally the one thing that could have made him compromise his moral integrity because he had gotten close to all of them and also felt a moral obligation towards Marlon’s daughter.

1 Like

Love this game can’t wait to give it another play through.

1 Like

I enjoyed reading about the Captain’s story. It’s always interesting to read it from another perspective. For the three questions, at present aiding Japan does increase your relationship with the leader, but that relationship status doesn’t actually do anything yet. Hopefully I’ll get around to that in a later update, but it wasn’t seen as a priority for me. Simply doing the right thing and helping the Japanese seemed like reward enough…
Marlon’s daughter… I thought I had included the option to actually take her, but I guess from what you’ve said I never finished that part. I’ll add her as a third choice.
Now, more seats… There is the lottery option, but more than that, when you select the different sectors of people to save (military, scientists, etc.) it is the best of these people who are chosen. Your team are among the best for sure and have every chance of being saved that way.

I’m trying to find the error with hiring scientists, but I can’t see it. Here’s the code:

*choice
  #Hire a new scientist.
    You send a request to ${thomas} to hire a new scientist.
    *set scientists +1
    *set free_sci +1
    *page_break
    *goto scientist_choice
  #Hire several scientists.
    How many scientists would you like to hire?
    *label multi_sci_hire
    *input_number scientist_request 1 scientist_max
    *set scientist_request + scientists
    *if scientist_request>scientist_max
      You don't have the facilities in place to hire that many scientists.  At most, you can hire
      *set scientist_request scientist_max
      *set scientist_request -scientists
      ${scientist_request} scientists.

How many scientists would you like to hire?
      *goto multi_sci_hire
    *set free_sci + scientist_request
    *set scientist_request - scientists
    *if ((scientist_request + scientists)=scientist_max)
      You hire ${scientist_request} scientists to fill out your facilities.
      *set scientists +scientist_request
      *page_break
      *goto scientist_choice
    *else
      You hire ${scientist_request} scientists.
      *set scientists +scientist_request
      *page_break
      *goto scientist_choice
  #On second thoughts, I have enough scientists.
    You decide not to hire any more scientists.
    *page_break
    *goto scientist_choice

The first part adds 1 scientist to your team. This option is straightforward as it’s only available if there is room. If there is no room, the option isn’t present so no double-check is needed.

The second part is more complex. It is supposed to allow the user a number input. If the number is too high (more than scientist_max) then they are told the number is too high and told the max they can choose. They then input another number.

If the number is okay, the code should then check the new total. If the new total is the same as max_scientist, they are told they can hire no more scientists. If the total is less than scientist_max, they are told that X new scientists are added to the team.

At least all this is what is supposed to happen. Everything works, but for some reason, at present, this code seems to be adding 10 new scientists more than it should (which is the default number for the variable scientists).

Can anyone see an error? Specifically, where I am adding scientists twice… I can’t spot it.

It usually happens to me when I have the scientists working already. Maybe it’s a bug in the scientist allocation code?

1 Like