The Hero Project: Open Season — Can you win America’s #1 reality show for heroes?

Heck if I’d know. As said, I know the code does get altered from the beta (as in, in the beta you could click ‘buy’ but it’d just unlock then and give the achievement).
So, it might be either.

1 Like

Hmm that’s very odd. (I actually tried to ask the question before your edit but I had to wait for moderators to approve my post. Sorry.)

I’m really mad at myself right now because i remember something that i had noticed about that game, went to an old thread about the series to post about it just to see it was locked, only to remember now that this thread exist and now i have forgotten what i had remembered

1 Like

Taking a cue from this post I’d like to address the main (and still present issues) with OP if I may (some of the things will have been said before, but for completeness):

Spoilers

Overreaching: Open Season almost instantly moves away from the whole TV show aspect to have the MC assist what is, by all means, a terrorist group. Because… they are ‘nice’ to ani-powereds? (I’m refraining from saying 'because their leader promises to ‘make powereds great again’ even though the game itself compares him to that spray-tanned calf) The plot the revolves around… what exactly? Sure you do some tasks for the town, and then there’s a short battle against a world-spanning threat, but the majority of the game is… soapboxing.
Each and every scene tackles (tries to tackle) some major issue one way or the other, without any rhyme or reason, resulting in quite harmful opinions being portrayed as ‘true ones’.
The plot tries to be too big with too little substance.

Pass/fail prevailance & Linear storyline & weird directions No choice really matters, no matter what they might look like. The biggest impact choices have is on flavortext, but even that boils down to being just a minor change to what is happening.
Example: In the demo already, you can pick which of the four voiceless to battle. This only affacts some stats, which… are only needed for an achievement, not to get through the story.
And no matter who you pick, no matter how well you fare, it will always end the same: the same people will join the town, the same guy will get killed by the terrorist leader, the same person will escape. No matter what you do. Always the exact same.
Then you get to pick whether or not to stay in the town. You pick to stay on the show, you’ll get the finale, get kicked out because of some leaks, get kidnapped by your sister into the town.
And when you pick to stay in the town? You watch the finale, some half-sentences are slightly different, and it’s the exact same, minus the kidnapping: the same events, the same thoughts, same choices, same everything.
There are dialogue bits that let you express your distaste for the town and what it stands for, choices that have no impact on anything. Sure, there are games with pure ‘roleplay’ options, but given the story at hand, choices like this should make some bit of a difference.

And then there’s the … endings: Barely any of the choices made throughout the game matter: In the end you can pick your ending almost in full. There’s barely a difference between a looming war and ‘peace & harmony’: again some slightly tweaked half-sentences, but no matter which ending you picked (yes, again you pick the ending instead of it being brought by by your decision beforehand) you will, again, go through the same options, motions, interactions.

And then… it’s over (after the ‘real heroes’ get beamed up to the Versus verse…). After an epilogue that handwaves so, so many things.

Now, the ‘pick your ending’ can work, as demonstrated in Tally Ho, but there your choices beforehand do matter. Here? Not at all.

Like the games before (maybe even more so) OS feels more like a novella with a few alternate scenes in the appendix than any for of IF/CYOA. In fact, OS can be played by just starting a new game and just spamming ‘next’, ending with 86 legend points, enough to get the versus bonus. That is how little choices matter here.

And the less said about the game setting the var for the warningsystem to false, thus forcing those that got it for free at the very END of RS to buy it if they want to use is, or the ‘database’ that make itself out to be a ‘vital asset’ and is but an incomplete set of copy-pasted notes, the better

5 Likes

There is also the big ‘choose one of the Ten romance !’ that is pretty much a lie at this point, because despite playing multiple time, i only saw like 3 romance, 1 that end with the RO in a coma before any relationship can begin, 1 that is just you pining for someone who is after someone else and 1 with the blind girl that litteraly fell on me from nowhere in my first playtrhrough, i had litteraly forgotten that character.

1 Like

Sorry im gonna butt in right quick and say i freaking love Weaver.

1 Like

I am starting to think that the ‘10’ romances count the one’s from a loaded file? which it shouldn’t because we already got those achievements in HR3?

but yeah, there’s just 3-5 (weaver, transfer, not-jury and the MCs (assuming the mcs are counted as two)).
Miss Boss is either dead or in a coma (and we can not even drag Loa Shift, a vitakinetic, to the hospital to wake her up)
Fake-Griffin is not an option at all (also, 20+ agegap)
Lucky, BM and Jenny are old MC romances
Crystalline is the pining option (also, whoop-di-do we pin for the white girl and the black guy might die… eeesh)
and Lolli and Scoundrel aren’t options either

EDIT: digging this up again, because I think I solved it:

New MC ROs:

1. Weaver
  2. Transfer
  3. Not-Jury
  4. Old Mc

Old MC ROs:
5. Not-Jury
6. BM
7. Jenny
8. Lucky