The Haze Under Windbrooke

Worry and concern are synonyms, so it doesn’t make much sense to say this.

1 Like

Thanks for going over everything that helps me out a lot.

Thanks, sadly there’s definitely not going to be another one of these. The development cycle for this project was… extremely rough. I’m already doing the world building for my next gamebook, so I’ll still be writing in choicescript, but this setting and the characters are poisoned to me. I know there are some people who wanted to see a continuation of the last story, but I just don’t have in me.

I’ll never know what I was thinking when I wrote lines like that.

It’s in an unfinished section. I suspect people won’t find it hugely satisfying given how far into the story you are before it finally happens, but we’ll see how it shakes out.

1 Like

I feel like this book is certainly better than the first one, I’m really looking forward to the rest of the book. :clown_face:

And btw, found a tiny mistake.

I think you meant “I think I can…”

Also, I wonder if it is possible to learn more magics, other than just some magical potions. Perhaps something more… aggressive or direct? Maybe idk :neutral_face:

3 Likes

Yeah, a witch path would be cool.

3 Likes

haha, it would be nice to be able to summon fire or lightning bolt or things like that.
lol or maybe even make deals with the devil. :clown_face:

3 Likes

When I got to the end of the demo it said something about not having that ending done. So is the demo an almost complete story? I was hoping the MC becoming a vampire or werewolf would actually happen and be able to do different things in the haze and real world because of it.

3 Likes

I comissioned an artist, and here’s the cover! I’m quite proud of her work!

You will turn during the final chapter of the story. It wasn’t how I wanted to do it, but I’ve run out of time for this project. It’s something reserved for the true ending.

7 Likes

The magic potion thing has actually been removed entirely now. Your magic is solely about direct aggression, assuming you did in fact learn magic.

1 Like

Is there any romance in the game?

2 Likes

That’s kind of disappointing. It seemed kind of railroaded towards the end, so I think I could tell it was in a rush to be completed.

3 Likes

There will be! I just haven’t written/integrated those scenes yet.

This is fair, and I feel like this is the same issue I had last time, to an extent.

1 Like

I felt like there was a major motivation hole in regards to the MCs relationship with their parents.

There are a couple of places where the MC (if playing the vampire track and choosing to arrange an attack on the compound, at least) takes some really obvious risks in order to save their parents. People around them are pointing out it’s a risk, it puts the whole plan at risk. The MC does it out of love for their parents.

The problem is that we as readers never get shown anything positive about the parents. The only thing we’re shown about them is that they are really mean to non-humans and to the very sympathetic Aunt Raven. They disappear on the MC, leaving them confused and worried. Presumably the MC has positive memories or associations with them, but they’re never shared with the reader.

For me, the result was getting yanked entirely out of sympathy or identification with the MC. We are given no choice about whether or not to try to warn or rescue them- we’re just told the MC does it. So I had the experience of just being annoyed at watching the MC (who no longer felt meaningfully “mine”) doing something obviously stupid for the sake of two terrible people.

2 Likes

The parents have been a sticking point in this narrative since pretty much the beginning, and I will need to do something about them before I can comfortably call this game ‘good enough’.

I don’t know if you were around when I first put this up, but they were originally killed off early on. However, their deaths became a part of the main character’s motivation, but I realized this was a problem because the audience had zero reason to care about the MC’s parents.

So I let them live! They can even appear later. But the audience still has no reason to care about them. (And really, a lot of reason to explicitly not).

The two most straightforward solutions here are to give the parents more depth. This would likely involve splicing flash back sequences about them throughout the earlier parts of the story.

Option two… cut them out completely. Just completely take a hatchet to all of that.

Not having an option to refuse to save them is also something I could do pretty trivially as well, though I’d prefer the people playing this at least potentially give a shit whereas right now 99% of people on their first play through would leave them to die.

I am heavily leaning toward option 2 right now. At no point in this story’s development have I made any effort to commit to these parents. The audience doesn’t care about them because I don’t care about them. It creates some issues on how exactly the MC gets an invite the the Union group, but I could probably still work a family connection in there somehow.

1 Like

I wonder if a partial solution is to have the the parents live or die based on what path the player chooses up front. That is, if they choose vampire or werewolf, the parents are dead. If they choose to stay human, then the parents are alive and in the Union group, and perhaps seeing them for what they are/have become could play a role in the MCs motivations going forward?

2 Likes

It’s workable, and I like it. I’d have to decide how to handle the union when your character doesn’t have any night plans.

You can still be invited to their compound if you aren’t human, which necessitates a rescue. I could probably just work around that by making it if when they died they somehow passed information about you along to the group, so they still recognize you.

Or I could completely rewrite the scene so you never go to their compound at all, and that group just flat out tries to kill you inside the store, and you get rescued by the Scourge group, and thus meet them that way.

Yeah. It’ll require some rewrites, but I can work with that.

Thanks for the feedback…

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 91 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

According to tentative release announcement " The Haze Under Windbroke " by @OdicHastings is also releasing on August 3rd 2018, that make it TWO HG release in one day … that, for me is a pleasant surprise and i don’t mind buying 2 titles in one day at all :stuck_out_tongue:

Thought to bring up The Haze Under Windbroke since according to the author, this is a spinoff of The Vampire House , always one of my favourite HG title … and spinoff would only means the story is happening in the same universe . which is unique since the supernatural is govern by a Demon Lord living in the human society …

Even though i may not meet with Elizabeth again, i do hope other characters and ROs would be as adorable as Elizabeth , Malka and Roxanne :slight_smile:

9 Likes

I saw the Last Wizard is out now has any one seen this game out yet on the google playstore?

1 Like