The Golden Rose: Book One by Ana Ventura

OFMD is both hilarious AND literally about gay pirates (and if you like angst it has not-for-stupid-reasons angst).

I barely remember Black Sails; IIRC, my take was that it looked interesting for the first few episodes, and then went full-on ‘meh’.

2 Likes

I just have to say, that I absolutely love how this game handles being evil. I usually steer clear of being evil or doing bad things in most games because there just generally no reward for doing so and the cons often outweigh the pros. But I felt the complete opposite after doing a playthrough where I went full barbarian murderhobo with my battle axe lol. The corruption mechanic was very much a shocking and pleasant surprise for me. I cant tell you how creeped out I was,when the Mc takes off there glove and realizes that there mark is bigger due to the evil things that they did. It was so incredibly well done and made me feel the same sense of dread that the Mc felt. I have found that to be a very rare thing in games. Most consequences for being evil are more or less annoyances. But this corruption mechanic actually holds narrative weight and will probably effect the Mc mentally. I really cant wait to see the impact that corruption has on the Mc in future books.

There is also another small consequence to being evil that actually made me sad :cry: Lance’s dog will be afraid of you. I felt like it was a good reminder to me that my Mc was slowly starting to become a monster.

Also, props to you Ana for making the Mc feel like an actual fleshed out and complex character. Even my grumpy brutal murderhobo Mc had a loving and caring side underneath all that anger. At least when It came to the people they cared about. I loved roleplaying them as a shy blushing mess while romancing Alessa. It made my Mc very endearing to me lol

28 Likes

:thinking:
I wonder if the MC is aware of this. I can imagine a revelation along these lines being very uncomfortable for the two characters I imagined up, for quite different reasons. Interesting.

1 Like

Love Golden Rose so much, i replay over and over again. This is so far the best Hosted Games i have ever read. I have more then 24 other games from Hosted games - My top use to be Samurai of Hyuga then Soul Stone War but the now the CROWN goes to Golden Rose by far the best story. Amazing story. I wonder if mc don’t romance Alessa and Hadrian whey they get together - from what i have read, it’s seems Alessa and Hadrian are very close.

4 Likes

personally, i never got the impression that they would potentially be interested in each other romantically if mc didn’t romance either of them. they have more of a colleague vibes for me. i honestly see more chemistry between alessa and rafael. kinda ship them ngl lol

does anyone know how much combat stat you need to hurt the theer’s spy?

7 Likes

How to get Beka on our side? Each time when i play and replay the story unable to get Beka on my side.
it’s saying i have made an enemy with Beka and ally with captain guard?

IIRC, it’s something like this:

After you tell her to wait for you, you’ll get an option to threaten/bribe/persuade her to stay. Those options are linked to combat/reason/influence, in that order. Choose the one appropriate for your skills. I think the check to beat is 30-35 or so, not exactly sure. My guess is that the mistake you’re probably making is that you’ve got high combat but are choosing not to threaten her because you want to be nice, and your other stats aren’t high enough to make the check(This is the mistake I was making). Go ahead and threaten, if that’s the case; it won’t ruin things with her and you’ll be free to be nice afterwards once she gets to know you.

4 Likes

I will replay and try again. Yes, I on high combat and to be nice - mistakes.
Very helpful. Thank you.

3 Likes

You need 35 or higher!

Besides what @KZV said, you should also avoid pressing her to reveal what she doesn’t want to and pay her when she asks to be your informant. And, of course, protect her when the guard comes.

That’ll get the little thief on your side.

3 Likes

Ok - here’s a thing I really don’t understand, and I swear I’m not trying to be nitpicky or anything this time around, I’m legit wondering whether I’ve missed something here:

How come I can take a bath basically whenever I please (actually 2 times during my first playthrough), but a tankard of water is a fortune…? Shouldn’t a bath be basically unaffordable?

8 Likes

Is one of them drinking water and the other is not? I could see that being a thing in a medieval -is world :thinking:

4 Likes

That’s the only explanation I’ve come up with so far, but as far as I know, “drinking water” wasn’t a thing back then, at least not in real life. I’m not an expert on medieval hygiene, though.

7 Likes

Well, they did know there was water that could be bad :thinking: at least some cultures did. Even animals do. That certain bodies of water were safer or cleaner. I would assume some cultures knew to boil water if necessary too.

I would see it as realistic if the expensive water was from a distant body of water with very good water, and the other from a nearby murky pond or bad well. Maybe they have really bad water where the game takes place?

2 Likes

I’m not sure… they’re supposedly in a drought during the game. Maybe they payed extra for bath water? Or maybe the inn reuses bath water (to a certain extent)

1 Like

No, that was, uh… an oversight on my part. :sweat_smile:

But, I am the author, so I’ll come up with a reasonable explanation. Vaughn is pretty much overcharging the water for the tavern/common room of the inn. It’s like when you go to a hotel room, and the water bottles on the mini fridge are super expensive — but you can just fill a glass of water in the bathroom sink.

Water is becoming scarcer, and prices are all rising because of it. Renting a room at the Leaping Lion is much pricier than before (especially with the bathing privilege all guests have), but Vaughn is definitely taking advantage of this. Both to fill his own pockets and to keep unwanted “lower class” folks from dining in his tavern.

23 Likes

No biggie, it happens, especially in such a long game! I’m just glad I didn’t miss anything. Thank you!

7 Likes

This is just a hunch, of course, but I’m fairly positive the straight romance is actually the Pirate King.

I read the code after my first read, and his flirt flag only triggers when a female mc gets along with him, and he doesn’t seem to have a male-specific flirt flag like Hadrien does. Unless it’s added in a later book where his romance becomes more relevant.

2 Likes

Yes, i agreed with Kelsey, straight romance -the Pirate King. Actually of all the characters for romances, i think the Pirate King (for me) are the most interesting.

Oh yes, I finally did it, Beka now is on my side!!! Thanks for the tip from KZV and Ana.

4 Likes

Rayvn stumbles in, bloodied & bruised, with a shit-eating grin on her face.

Remy, looking up from the recliner by the fireplace, notices and grins cheekily in return.

“Had a good time, then?”

Rayvn chuckes and drops herself on the couch.

“…the best.”

A wicked smirk comes to Remy as she starts to rise from the recliner.

“Good. My turn.”

That smirk instantly falls to a shocked expression as, in a flash, she finds her neck caught in a vice grip. She didn’t register when Rayvn even moved.

An unholy growl rumbles from the warrior as she lowers her rage-filled eyes to meet Remy’s still shocked ones.

“This. Book. Is. MINE.

1 Like

@Anathema Thank you for bringing The Golden Rose to life!

I’ve been looking for a book to match my OC Rayvn for so long, as Riese already is an OC for @HarrisPS book Royal Affairs, and Remy has her hands in too many other books to mention! :sweat_smile:

I hope you didn’t mind me jotting down my OCs’ experiences with your work here…I was in awe at it, and wished to express that. :star_struck:

I’m soooo looking forward to Book 2…and I’m pretty sure Rayvn is, too! :joy:

1 Like