The Fielder’s Choice — Pitch your way to the top of the major leagues!

We’re proud to announce that The Fielder’s Choice, the latest in our popular “Choice of Games” line of multiple-choice interactive-fiction games, is now available for Steam, iOS, and Android. It’s 25% off until March 1st!

Grab a glove and pitch your way to the top of the major leagues! Baseball season is back and you’re on the mound. Starting your career as a rookie pitcher, you’ll develop your repertoire and navigate clubhouse politics in the big leagues. Over eight seasons, you’ll use your talent and charisma to win on—and off—the field.

The Fielder’s Choice is a 115,000-word interactive baseball novel by Nathaniel Edwards. It’s entirely text-based—without graphics or sound effects—and fueled by the vast, unstoppable power of your imagination.

Your talented arm will take you places you’ve never seen, and introduce you to some of the most driven athletes on the planet. Do you have the massive dedication to succeed in the big leagues, or will you resort to a little bit of cheating? Will you be baseball’s biggest stat geek or the master of hustle and grit? Will you develop an on-field persona that terrifies hitters or a cuddly exterior that lulls them to sleep? Will you go down in history as a Hall of Fame ace or a live arm that fizzled on the big stage? When your lifelong baseball dreams come true, someone else may have to lose everything they’ve ever worked toward.

• Play as male, female, or non-binary; gay or straight
• Play as left- or right-handed
• Choose your pitching style and develop the perfect repertoire to rack up strikeouts
• Perfect a fastball, slider, or curveball
• Find friends, foes, or potential lifelong partners among your teammates
• Pitch in the United States, Japan, or unlock the opportunity to explore a new frontier for baseball
• Use statistical analysis to perfect your game, or #RiseAndGrind to out-hustle your opponents
• Discover the quirky secret behind baseball’s most successful agent

What pitch will you throw when the game is on the line? In that moment, it’s the Fielder’s Choice.

We hope you enjoy playing The Fielder’s Choice. We encourage you to tell your friends about it, and recommend the game on StumbleUpon, Facebook, Twitter, and other sites. Don’t forget: our initial download rate determines our ranking on the App Store. The more times you download in the first week, the better our games will rank.

8 Likes

In honor of this game, I would like to ask all interested fans- “Who is your favorite Pro Baseball or Softball Player, Pitcher or otherwise?” and “What are your favorite bits of baseball-related media?”

I can move this to a separate topic if necessary.

My favorite players include Cat Osterman, Roger Clemens, & Nolan Ryan (Pitchers); also Megan Williams, Ozzie Smith, Kevin Bass, Jackie Robinson, and Yogi Berra (other positions). My favorite bits of baseball-related media include the Peanuts comic strip (I adore Snoopy, Lucy, & Charlie Brown), the film A League of Their Own, the Simpsons episode “Homer at the Bat”, the classic poem “Casey at the Bat”, and the Captain Baseball Bat Boy comic strip. I look forward to enjoying Fielder’s Choice soon and possibly adding it to the list of baseball-related media I enjoy.

Favorite pitchers are roger clemens babe ruth carlos zambrano and last but not least jackie robinson. Favorite baseball movie i would have to say is major league

1 Like

Favorite Pitcher: without a doubt it is NOLAN FREAKIN RYAN
Favorite Player: Tris Speaker or Babe Ruth
Favorite Baseball Movie: Bull Durham

1 Like

Really not a fan of low percent pitches always put in play. That’s very annoying tbh.

4 Likes

I hoped the game would make me interested in the subject matter like Slammed! did with pro-wrestling but so far it seems like you really can’t enjoy the game that much if you’re not super into baseball. At least in my opinion :thinking:

15 Likes

As someone who knows absolutely nothing about baseball, the game was not understandable at all. But that’s not the game’s fault. It’s just me. Like, all i know about baseball is that there’s a ball and there’s a baseball bat and sometimes people run around the field…all that info comes from watching “Chicken Little” when i was a kid…Though putting “THE MOST AWESOME PERSON EVER!!!” as all the pronouns just because i could was fun…

Anyway, ignore my uneducated opinion as baseball does not even exist as a sport in my country :smiley:

7 Likes

I played through it once, but as another person from a non-baseball-playing country, I only seemed to understand every other sentence. A lot of unfamiliar words and phrases with little explanation.

The game expected me to pick a pitch (?), as in slider or curveball and such, yet I had no idea what any of these things even were or looked like and the game didn’t give an explanation either.

So while I don’t think it was a bad game or anything, I believe I might not be part of the target group.

3 Likes

All I can say is that I’m glad there’s a COG game for all the people who for some reason like Baseball enough to want to play a text adventure about playing baseball. :smile:

2 Likes

Liked it but this dude’s arm is bent sideways or something because I missed every pitch I threw for the first three years, and I had 50 control. Second time and with 45 control and I only missed once. Luck why!?
And just a little nit pick but at sometimes in real life, at least once a game, the bat would break and I feel like a ball going 105 against a bat with even a poor hitter would shatter it.

1 Like

Surprisingly I like this game. I have next to no knowledge about baseball so I thought even the demo would be boring for me, but all it did was making me so interested that I bought the whole game and I still don’t regret buying it. Tho I would have prefered it to be a bit longer.
But I admit I probably wouldn’t have given it a chance if my cousin didn’t make me watch a bunch of baseball themed movies last year just bc she was interested in those atm.

1 Like

Favorite pitcher and player are both The Babe, who is probably my all-time favorite sports figure. The things he did and the panache he did them with will forever stand the test of time. As for a favorite pure pitcher I guess I would say John Smoltz. Not quite as celebrated as Maddux or Glavine, but his ability to shift from starter to closer and excel at both was impressive.

Favorite baseball movie would be Moneyball. Just a fascinating look at the innards of the game.

I’m going to have to go with Sam “Mayday” Malone.

2 Likes

Pretty enjoyable, though I had no idea what was going on score wise most of the time, and that strike-outs are good :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Ahh, baseball! What could possibly scream ‘USA!’ louder than that ^^? I like it!

We’re implementing a “Realistic Mode” (hard) and “Power Mode” (easier) update to counter complaints that the game relies on “luck” too much. Rolling out to iOS soon, should be on GPS now. @Prof_Chaos @Natman1025

12 Likes

Thanks! Screw you bad lu-gets hit by lightning bolt

I liked it as is, but more modes is never a bad thing.

It updated for IOS but I haven’t seen any changes, where is the difficulty choice supposed to be?

It should be the very first choice when you start a new game.