The Eden Project (Update | 9,000 Words Added)

DEMO | TUMBLR

Story Genres: Alternate Reality, Science Fiction, Mystery
Sub-Genres: Horror, Romance (In The Future)

About This Update

As of today, I am shy of 20,000 Words. For me, this is a rather big achievement. There are sections I am currently rewriting, as the format I got for the Garden Segment’s Workshop is a setup I want to repeat in the other areas of Chapter One. It makes it a lot easier for me to track everything that’s happening. And rewrites are needed because the Garden segment is much larger than either the Dream Segment or the Home Segment (which requires a rehaul to make it more interesting).

I redid the introduction. It’s more compact, which should make jumping into the story less distracting as there are fewer choices on the menu.

I had wanted to finish Chapter One by the end of this month, but that hasn’t happened. I hadn’t realized how large one chapter could be, so now I focus on enjoying the process. Not sure about how often to update the demo, as of this moment. Part of me wants to do the 25th of every month, while another part says I should do it twice a month.

For now, I’m quite happy with everything I’ve gotten.

Also, I’m starting a tumblr. I have no idea what I’m gonna put on it, as it’s not something I’m overly familiar with, but that’s something I’ll be starting as well.

I hope everyone’s month has been a good one!

The Eden Project: Previous Updates

Update: January 07, 2023

As of this moment, the readable portions of the story total 10,853 Words.

I have finished the second choice segment, where the Main Character is inside but downstairs instead of going back to sleep. I have one left to go, a segment where you, dear Readers, can explore the outside of the house. I have a bit of that already written, but I’m going back and restructuring that section.

The Garden Segment is approximately 1,500 Words so far, and it might be a bit longer than the other two areas (which I am trying to avoid because I want all choices to be as evenly paced as possible).

After Chapter One, Part 01, is finished, Part 02 will introduce character creation. This will entail the gender of the main character, their first name, and a few choices on appearance. I’ll be working diligently on this, and if there is anything that doesn’t flow right – let me know!

December 02, 2022

Last month, I mentioned having a bit of a roadblock regarding the first choice in the story. That’s been solved. I’ve tweaked that scene and am now in the process of fixing the ones that follow. It’s disjointed. Doesn’t read all that well because of inconsistencies.

In regards to the work I’ve been doing, I can say this:

Currently, the available word count capable of being read is 7,000 words excluding commands. The entirety of what I have for Chapter One is 12,000 words. The chunk that can’t be read is currently unavailable because I’m still working on it and it isn’t ready to be read as of right now.

My initial goal was to have the first chapter of The Eden Project done by the start of this month, but I didn’t make that deadline. I’ve been busy, however, and plan to have the section I’m working on done as soon as I can.

Part Of This Update

The first choice has been changed with additional content. It split into three different sections that lead to the same choice, but no repeated text should be there. They have a similar taste between them, but clicking on one choice won’t generate the same paragraphs afterward.

A Note Regarding The Demo

This is a very rough Work-in-Progress, but one I have been working on for quite some time. I’ve been working on it every day for some time now. I started speaking about it publicly starting in December. There’s more to read in it than what’s available; I’m just waiting to finish a few other areas first.

As this is a Work-in-Progress, it’s rough. It might not even read all that well now that I have a clear goal in mind and a better idea on a few things that I needed to add moving forward. I’m currently tweaking a few things, as of this moment, but progress is going smoothly.

A Summary of the Story

After a traumatic childhood experience, you’ve kept yourself tucked away inside the safety of your land and home. The outside world is an afterthought, nothing more than a reality far removed from all you have ever known. On occasion, you do leave, and it’s for one thing only: a mandatory visit to the doctor every month – without question.

For over a decade, you have lived in your small home tucked away on a small plot of land. You have wanted for nothing; your family provides your every need. Despite your deep aversion to leaving your home, you have claimed peace.

Then, one night, your world becomes a dream shattered by the echoing cry of a desperate song.

The Companions

Tycho Reigner

As a criminal with a checkered history locked within the police station, Tycho is a man who has found himself on the wrong side of the law more than once. When you first stumble upon him, he implores you to free him. In exchange, he will be your knife in the dark.

Physically, Tycho’s an intimidating man. Standing well over six feet tall, he towers over nearly everyone he’s ever met. Paired with lean, hard muscle and geometric tattoos, including the sides of his head and neck, he’s the sort of man you wouldn’t want to run into in a dark alleyway.

He’s a blunt fellow, and doesn’t shy away from physical confrontations. As a person who thrives in the heat of battle, Tycho favors eliminating opposition than leaving them be.

How far will you let this blade cut once he is yours to wield?

Anais Holmes

As a nurse burdened with the weight of her past, Anais is a woman with a deep aversion to inflicting harm on anyone. When you first meet her, she is trapped in the hospital she works in, and begs to stay by your side once she is freed. In exchange, she will be your unwavering shield ready to heal you at any given moment.

Physically, Anais is a slight female with soft features and kind eyes. On the low end of five feet, she is a shorter than many women she works with. Her work as a nurse has been stressful, but the worst of it comes from the reactions to the burns covering the right side of her body. While most can be hidden, the ones discoloring her face are hidden beneath her hair. She radiates a gentleness that tends to draw others to her.

While Anais is a gentle person, she can be very passionate about helping others and doing the right thing even at the cost of her own safety. As someone who shies away from conflict, she will be more inclined to avoid situations where a fight could happen.

How far will you let this shield rise once she is yours to hold?

76 Likes

Hey, so I get that you want to give that choice as it is very important for you to give the possibility for a few replays but if you really struggle with the writing I would tell you to start with fleshing out one of the traumas. Write with it and then later in the story I would decide if I want to add more paths.

It is important to keep in a flow and not hang yourself on a figurative rope before you get to keep writing the story.

9 Likes

It isn’t about the possibility of a few replays, but that is a bonus if it does result in that. I know about the traumas and what’s behind them. I’ve already worked on that aspect. It’s backstory, after all. I would hope I would know about the MC’s backstories before writing the story itself.

I think, more than anything, I’m trying to figure out if the first choice not having any context right after it’s chosen would hurt the story more than anything since, from my understanding, choices like that are often considered ‘false choices’ (like selecting if you are playing as a male or female) and are often considered empty. It’s ‘clicked’ and then isn’t brought up again.

This isn’t the impression I want to give. The first choice does make a difference, just not right away.

The part of the story I do have available to be read is 6,000 words out of 10,500 words. It isn’t long. I’m still very much writing, but I’m also trying to figure out if I could leave the first choice as vague as it is or if I should add more.

The idea of having the first choice set all leading to the same paragraph is odd to me. In the Dream Segment (one of three choices in the next Choice Set), if you select the first two options, all the others following it will change (or if you select only one of the first two). I like things to reflect choices that have already been made. Does that mean more work for me? Sure does. Do I mind? Not at all.

So, no hanging myself with a fictional rope. Just wanting a general opinion on whether or not people like having a choice that is part of the backstory presented but not instantly explained.

3 Likes

Howdy! Excellent job thus far. The premise is uniquely surreal and intriguing, and the themes come through in every word. Sometimes more than a few times, since there were a few repeated paragraphs before and after the first choice. At first I thought it was an intentional artistic choice, but I’m pointing out just in case. While the majority of it was well written, there were a few things that stood out as odd. But hey, that can happen in a first draft. Especially at the speed that you’re writing. If you’re looking for more details, I can point out specific instances.

Regarding the first choice, I think a relatively easy solution would just be a few bits of evocative and thematically relevant text. Maybe not revealing everything right away, but hinting at the trauma. Let’s say the player picks “lost in the forest” (which is the one that is personally most interesting to me!), they could get a passage about The trees stand like giants, sentinels against the horizon. You can’t see the sun through the crowded branches. The trees shudder, but you feel no wind. Gnarled roots dog your every step, each fallen leaf a siren alerting each unseen creature to your precise location. You hear your name, whispered, then shouted with your own voice. But you jolt from your reverie. You are not there, now. It’s a memory.

That’s not a great example, but I’m writing fast because I don’t know how long my internet will last and I don’t know exactly what your plan for it is. You could also weave it in later, when the strange things begin to happen it could remind the PC. But I’m pretty sure that’s your plan already.

All in all, I’m definitely intrigued and hope to see this story develop!

4 Likes

Thank you for telling me that! I’ll go through and see. I try not to have too much repeating information.

I would be happy to know if anything stands out as odd.

Honestly, the times I do read through it myself to enjoy the atmosphere, I always end up clicking that one. I love nature, and while getting lost in the woods would be a nightmare, just running around in them is enjoyable. I’ll make a note of the example you provided. It gives me ideas :smiley:

Morning, Wannabe_Human!

I’ve rewrote the first three choices (your little blurb with the forest gave me a lot to play with and inspired what I wrote for the related segment in question). Thank you for jumpstarting a creative whirlwind.

Thank you for taking the time to read, too, and I hope the choices and responses come off well.

For everyone reading this, there is an added 1,000 words added between the three choices at the very start of the game. The text following the three choices are meant to be vague, without giving away too much information. Took me forever to figure out a way to write those in a way I felt was good, that I would be comfortable with everyone reading.

And here’s to hoping we all have a great New Year!

1 Like

Update

As of this moment, the readable portions of the story total 10,853 Words.

I have finished the second choice segment, where the Main Character is inside but downstairs instead of going back to sleep. I have one left to go, a segment where you, dear Readers, can explore the outside of the house. I have a bit of that already written, but I’m going back and restructuring that section.

The Garden Segment is approximately 1,500 Words so far, and it might be a bit longer than the other two areas (which I am trying to avoid because I want all choices to be as evenly paced as possible).

After Chapter One, Part 01, is finished, Part 02 will introduce character creation. This will entail the gender of the main character, their first name, and a few choices on appearance. I’ll be working diligently on this, and if there is anything that doesn’t flow right – let me know!

2 Likes

Update Day!

Afternoon, everyone! I’ve been working this month on getting more of The Eden Project written and have greatly enjoyed the process. I’ve written nearly 10,000 Words, made a few adjustments to the starting menu, and am rewriting a few other areas now that I have a layout that I like for the section I’m working on.

I went from 10,000 to 19,000 Words from my last update to this one. I know it isn’t a lot, but I have decided to update at least once a month on the 25th.

This is still very much a WIP and a lot of what I’m writing now are changing to reflect a few things I’ve tweaked. So, there are some inconsistencies I’m still ironing out.

While it isn’t a lot, I hope that I have something someone might enjoy as much as I did while writing it. Likely not many people’s preferred beverage, I’m writing what I’d like to read.

A Quick Note:

I’ve added a section at the very top on the companions. I hadn’t realized I hadn’t said much about either of them, so I thought to add that in so it’s there. Sorry about that!

10 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. If you want to reopen your WiP, contact the moderators.