THE DECOY: a multiverse jumping modern/high fantasy (WIP) (TALEEA RO ADDED)

Might just be me, but I’m finding it rather difficult to empathise with the brothers we left behind. Or with the mother, since she’s largely absent.

I wonder a little if it would make a difference if they were sisters.

Them being insufferable and unlikeable in the beginning was actually what I was going for considering they kidnap MC against MC’s will. Hopefully you warm up to them haha and thank you!

20 Likes

Welp. Found my new obsession I guess

This was a very exciting choice script!

Somethings prospects I’m specifically excited for:

• Can the mc learn magic?

• Will Azriel eventually warm up to the mc?

• Will the mc be able to contact people from their realm?

• Listen if there is an RO that doesn’t kill the mc or hurt mc too bad, but is virtually obsessed or chasing them for their own motives… Let’s just say on my first place through I always play as myself and if whoever this ends up being has a gender choice option they will 100% be the pursuit on my first playthrough

Loving the characters so far!! Loving the choices! Very excited to see the rest of this wip!

8 Likes

Wow! I really enjoyed this demo & absolutely agree withe the above statements by @kneesama

The writing flows really nice & easy, the setting, the atmosphere & the world…are all really great, I got immersed right away.

Loved the fact that we can fight back & try to escape so many times, usually the writers make the MCs really fast to just agree to whatever plot the IFs have, but here I loved the choices & I fought till the last :facepunch:

I have my eye on Azriel & can’t wait to meet the mystery RO :grimacing::hocho:

3 Likes

Can’t wait until my mc is allowed to actually raid his evil doppleganger’s royal wardrobe and get out of his shitty work clothes he’s been forced to wear for days now. I mean the dress up part is definitely one of the more attractive prospects of the whole absurd situation he finds himself in yet at the moment we’re seemingly not allowed near the wardrobe with the good stuff. :angry: And if Tumblr is any indication it won’t get better in chapter 2 where the brilliant idea of the kidnappers is to have the mc cover their shitty work clothes with a super boring brown cloak during transport. :unamused:

Come on let my mc dress like a prince already! :persevere:

4 Likes

Oh man, essentially an isekai with multiple RO’s that hate your guts and one that will literally want to kill you??? Sign me up yesterday

3 Likes

To be fair they were made to horrible on purpose apart from the healer by the author but things will change eventually later. The author confirmed this and this is probably the first time an outsider entered their world so they think we’re horrible and barbaric too but they have no choice since they want to keep our doubles runaway a secret

2 Likes

I must say this is very intriguing absolutely love what you have so far but I have a suggestion couldn’t the main character possibly make a request like bring 1 family member from home just so they know there safe and cared for or at least know what is happening to them and i think you can tell this pertains to a certain 14 yr old bro that has depended on the main character for etc…

1 Like

Awesome.

So, I take it Theoden is not an RO? Shame, I kinda liked him so far :sweat_smile:.

Anyways, my first play through was really fun! I really like this so far! But during my second play through I decided to be compliant and do as they said without fighting or anything, and yet when Azriel asks Theoden if we caused trouble, Theoden said yes.

2 Likes

I am typically a believer in a sort of “you play the hand you’re dealt” thing in games like this, where if the game says you’re <whatever> then you’re <whatever> and you just have to roll with that and make do.

However, I have to say that I do find it pretty jarring just how unaccepting the MC is of any of this when his ‘real’ life in his world is so miserable. For pretty much every option I got I was thinking “Why are you so pissed about this? Do you really want to go back and pull double shifts at the minimart?”, and I really think the game could use some options that are, if not accepting, at least bit more neutral.

2 Likes

They were kidnapped and the MC left their little brother alone who they, regardless of the player, care about.

16 Likes

Just started the demo and I’m loving it so far! Just one thing I noticed:

When Theoden and the guards bring MC out of the dungeons, I chose all the options where MC kept silent, followed along without fighting back or pleading or complaining

Despite this, Theoden still acted like my MC had fought back all the way there, and told Azriel I’d caused “quite a bit of trouble”

2 Likes

Wait, Azriel is younger than use?! :scream:

Summary

Also, is there a way to choose how tall/short our character is? I’m asking because in real life, I’m kind of on the short side being at 5 foot on the dot (or 152.4 cm), so it’s kind of off putting when I read how “small” the uniform is on is. Like, for a tall character that would make sense! But a short one? Not so much. It would make more sense if the uniform were too big :sweat_smile:

1 Like

I like the story so far!

Admittedly, the first scene made me laugh a bit, just because of the dichotomy of committing a horrible massacre and then taking the time to neaten it up (I imagine it all done with the sound of unpleasant squelching from bloodsoaked socks and shoes) just for the drama of it all.
Though, I didn’t entirely understand what the story meant by “And in the chaos stood a singular note.” Personally, I think of “notes” as brief messages on single scraps of paper, but I’m guessing this is more of a… plaque on display?
I also like the concept of “the Chosen One” where you have someone who was (presumably) chosen from birth for a prophecy, versus someone who was quite literally chosen. In this case, because of their appearance.

On other things, it was mildly funny to input a distinctly East Asian name before realizing that both of the MC’s siblings have standard Western names. This sort of thing is fairly common in CoG; I’ve only seen one game (UnNatural, I think?) allow the user to customize every family member’s name. Obviously, it’s kind of a hassle to do that sort of thing, especially because it’s not like that sort of thing doesn’t occur in real life. I can’t tell if it plays into middle child stereotypes or not if your family is organized like “Peter, Wangshu, and John.”
Also, the “Is this your first day on Earth?” line in the first chapter. Terrible retail service but A++ comedy.

6 Likes

I am planning to implement height! The uniform being too small is just a matter of MC’s boss not caring enough to supply MC with clothes that fit, just a small detail. I guess for short MCs, it’s less the size and more the fit? Around the waist or sleeves? Not sure, hahaha.

11 Likes

As a shorty (5’1), the length of the skirt/pants and sleeves are always the biggest problem. The clothes could be to my exact size, but if it isn’t from the petit section, something about will be wrong. The length of the skirt/pants and sleeves, where the waistline hits, etc.

1 Like

@alternatewriter
I think tumblr link is incorrect…

4 Likes

A strange story of a guy being kidnapped to another world without his consent would hurt my self-respect as a human being from earth. I honestly chose the worst options, disagreed with them, was rude, attacked them. Not bringing me home sucks. Give me the option to escape or make them all pay for this kidnapping. There’s a little brother waiting for me there in my world to take care of and my friends, I don’t care if everybody dies there even if this apocalypse comes to my world I’d rather die spending my last days with my family

10 Likes