The Cryptkeepers of Hallowford — Sharpen your sword and save Hallowford!

This question might be a bit offtopic here given how it’s about the first game not this one but I’m still in the process of making characters for this one; anyways can someone tell me if it’s possible to get legendary eloquence in The Hero of Kendrickstone? And if it’s possible then how?

No, the maximum eloquence you can have is 7.
+2 at the dream.
+1 for choosing the bard background.
+1 for choosing the Envoy magical ring from Isan.
+1 for choosing the Duke’s plan.

1 Like

Thanks. Thought I was missing something.

My favorite playtrough is my Eloquence+Prowess character, who have the Sword of Kendrick Giant-Slayer. I started as an unknown in Hallowford and at the ending the people of Hallowford revised m recognized him on sight.
But I don’t think they like him, because he stole the Heart of the Ever Living.

Build

Roland, a young man of Kendrickstone,
The Hero of Kendrickstone.

The common folk of Hallowford recognize you on sight.

Prowess: 6 - Expert
Will: 2 - Lackluster
Subterfuge: 2 - Lackluster
Eloquence: 5 - Good

Compassion: 9% Pragmatism: 91%
Order: 66% Freedom: 34%
You carry with you the Sword of Kendrick Giant-Slayer and a sling.
You wear a vest of hardened leather, reinforced with steel plates. You also wear a set of steel plate gauntlets.
You possess a mostly dormant Flowering Court artefact in the form of a glowing crystal.
You own an old and battered lute.

Your current wealth is 1356 silver pennies.

You are in perfect health.

Lore: The Flowering Court: 4
You are an expert on the culture and remains of the Flowering Court’s civilization.

Lore: The Empire of Korilandis: 0
You know nothing of Korilandis.

Lore: Battle Magic: 0
You don’t know any battle magic.

Lore: Peace Magic: 0
You don’t know any peace magic.

Lore: Woodcraft: 2
You are a relatively skilled tracker and know your way around a forest.

Lore: Weapons and armor: 1
You know a few things about the quality and finish of armor and weapons.

Lore: Literature: 4
Your encyclopedic knowledge of stories and songs has begun to spawn poems of its own.

Lore: Economics: 1
You know the basics of trade.

1 Like

Alright, I finished this game a few days ago, and I just found this forum, so here’s some feedback on my experience.

Overall, my two primary issues are with the beginning, and the end.

Why I didn’t like the beginning:
I’m not a fan of prologues that drop you into the action, then suddenly pull you out of the action to place you at the beginning, then progress until you get to that action only to timeskip ahead to the point that you left off at.

Also, I personally would have preferred that the prologue actually took place within Kendrickstone itself. Maybe a sequence where the MC is settling into their new lifestyle when they receive the message. What are the responsibilities of our new position? If we didn’t get an official position, are we still serving our mentor? If not, what have we been doing these past six months? There’s only one or two paragraphs that touch on this at the beginning, and I personally would have liked to see more.

Why I didn’t like the ending:
I think someone already mentioned this, but it felt just a bit too abrupt. We get to the final room, we fight the Ever-Living, then we either do what we went there to do, or Mundy steals the heart. It just feels anti-climactic. There’s no real ‘confrontation’ or ‘bossfight’ - at most you knock someone out. Then afterwards we’re just told to leave. We don’t get to see the outcome our decision had on the town, or what happens to Lucan or Michael now that the balance of power between them has shifted. If we convinced all the guilds to join Michael, what next - do they regain some influence in the town’s council? We’re told what’s going to happen, but we aren’t shown.

The game indicates that we’re going to have to deliver a report back to Duke Leofric, but we don’t get to see this either - one of the issues raised by Lucan was that the Duke might attempt to put the city under his personal rule. What if there was an option to convince the Duke to do that? Where our report could say something along the lines of: “Everything is fine and the problem is taken care of”, “Send some troops to help Michael restore order”, or “Hallowford cannot be trusted with self-governance and you need to take direct control” - another Freedom vs. Order dilemma.

And I feel like there could have been better outcomes than the choice we were presented with - why not devise a scheme to lure all the Ever-Living out and then kill them on the surface? Why not find a way to permanently sever the connection between the Ever-Living and the Heart in a way that doesn’t remove all the positive effects it has on Hallowford?

I get that these games can take a lot of work, and many of these suggestions could be difficult to implement, but it just feels like something was missing.

Other minor issues:

1. What happened to Sam and Adanna?
  2. No female romance option?
  3. Bit of a continuity error: In the first game, Kendrickstone is mentioned to have a population of fifteen thousand. Cryptkeepers says it is over thirty thousand.
  4. The antagonist. The Ever-Living just aren’t interesting as a threat, and that’s mainly because they’re really just monsters. It seems as if Lucan is meant to be the primary antagonist, but he just doesn’t feel like a compelling character in his own right, and really just comes across as a personification of the Cryptkeepers’ arrogance and corruption.
  5. Whatever official position the player can take at the end of Kendrickstone doesn’t seem to make much of a difference, other than the Knight which gets some armor. Other than that, they all seem to wield the same level of authority. Though at the same time I haven’t really done a Guildmaster or an Envoy playthrough, so I’ll have to see how that goes.

What I did like:

1. I found Selim and Michael to be interesting characters, though I didn’t really like how Michael’s role just abruptly ended.
  2. The mystery aspect was quite appealing.
  3. I enjoyed the Dungeon exploration aspect as well, and the coordination of the town’s defense.

Overall I liked the game, I just feel like it could have been better.

13 Likes

These are good points, especially about the beginning and the ending.

The Beginning was blatantly experimental. I needed to do a lot of establishing stuff, and CoG still prefers openings to start in media res so I tried to compromise by setting most of that establishing action in flashback.

In hindsight, I realise there were probably other ways I could have done that. Whether they would have been better ways isn’t really applicable at this point. I might try something like it later down the line.

The ending was designed as sort of a low-key cliffhanger. You make your decision, and the short-term response is that you have to leave town. The long-term plan is to actually start the next installment (tentatively called The Bandit-Lords of the Iron Marches) with filling out some of the aftermath of your decisions in Hallowford (that report to the Duke may play some part in it).

That being said, the ending has kind of been a sore point for a lot of people, so chances are, I won;t be trying something that abrupt again.

17 Likes

Can we side with a Bandit-Lord?

1 Like

#MiliusDidNothingWrong

5 Likes

If you couldn’t, I’d have to pick a different name.

7 Likes

My character is Pragmatic/Order, so to him it is better to put a Bandit-Lord (or maybe an attractive Bandit-Lady :stuck_out_tongue:) in power, than to let the Iron Marches to continue the lawless land it is. If the only way to bring order to the Marches in through a Bandit-Lord then he will do it.

And he will want to increase his connection of magical artifacts too. The third in the connection.

1 Like

My Pragmatic/Order mage doesn’t believe a society built on banditry is self-sustaining. Eventually they’re going to run out of things to loot, or the bandit’s corrupt underlings will betray their leader, or the Bandit Lord’s territory will get so big that rival kingdoms can’t just ignore him any more. That will ultimately bring more chaos to the Iron Marches in the long run, instead of simply waiting for the area to stabilize naturally as Adventurers gradually clear it out.

Also he’s going to kill Mundy. Bastard stole the Heart. My mage tried to side with Michael because he wanted other mages (himself included) to be able to study it, instead of leaving it solely in the hands of the Cryptkeepers, and the reason he didn’t steal it himself is because it would jeopardize his position in the Duke’s court when word inevitably got out.

4 Likes

I think there are several Bandit-Lords, and not all of them want to be a outlaw for their entire lives. So siding with one who wants to rule and help him/her/them to found a duchy/petty kingdom will be my MC preferred solution.

But his priority will be to kill the Bandit-Lord with the magical artifact and lot it from their dead body :stuck_out_tongue:.

My MC is with good terms with Mundy. They were the only one who approved of his choice to steal the Heart. I hope I can be friend with Selim again, he doesn’t like my MC after what he did.

1 Like

Of course, a low Will MC might never make it through an old book.

2 Likes

Will doesn’t seem to be an indicator of intelligence, though.

Enjoyed the game, excepting the ending, but I did have a problem making a save. Did anyone else have an issue with that?

1 Like

No need for banditry anymore when you introduce taxation and/or tributes. :stuck_out_tongue:

The option never came up for me. I assumed it hadn’t been added yet for some reason.

3 Likes

…Anyone else having trouble importing saves?

What kind of trouble do you have?

Importing my characters into Cryptkeepers of Hallowford from Kendrickstone, been so long since I last played.