The Cryptkeepers of Hallowford — Sharpen your sword and save Hallowford!

I want to ask if anyone know who’s the RO in this game. I know selim and maybe adanna or mundy?

1 Like

Will imports work from the Chrome version of Kendrickstone? I can’t seem to get the Book of Mad Whispers to come over with me.

You can start a relationship with either Selim or Mundy in this one, but I’m drip-feeding the ROs over multiple installments, so there’ll probably be more in the next one.

I’m not sure, since the Chrome versions apparently aren’t supported anymore.

1 Like

How do we start relationship with mundy? I’ve tried to choose whatever makes them happy and keeping their secret, still i can’t seem to get the relationship with them to start. If you had any hint i’d be happy to hear!

@Cataphrak congratz for the reléase , you are a gem to this community and as always you deliver top quality writing, thanks for always working so hard in your games :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

First you need at least 65 reputation with Mundy.
Then at the chapter 9 you need to either to
steal the Heart or let them steal it.
If you want to side with Michael or Lucan, then you will need lesser than 40 reputation with Selim to be able to talk with Mundy.
If you want to destroy the Heart then it is not possible to start the romance with Mundy.

Thank you!! I’ll try it right now :'D

So I’m gonna talk about one of my characters a bit.

He started off in Kendrickstone as an old knight’s squire that left service because he had dreams of being a powerful wizard (so decent Will but no knowledge of magic at all). Since my guy didn’t know any magic, he got hired not as Isan’s apprentice but instead his servant, with the promise that he would get to learn magic upon gaining Isan’s trust.

Isan, stubborn ass that he is, did not agree to teach magic for many months and my guy basically spent his time being a discount butler and part-time academic student. He ended up developing into a sage, with encyclopedic knowledge on several academic matters but absolutely useless at typical adventuring.

This character went into Hallowford with a few notable traits:

• He’s an expert scholar on both the Flowering Court and Korilandis, and bloody good at accounting to boot;
  • He’s somehow managed to become as famous as Kendrick Giant-Slayer himself;
  • He is sorely lacking in core attributes (above-average Will, average Prowess and lackluster at everything else)
  • He only has the very basics in peace magic and absolutely no knowledge of battle magic
  • He has an arming sword from his days as a squire, and nothing else

His time in Hallowford was not easy at all. He did shine as a scholar, but he barely survived the entire experience by being a coward realistic about his skills.

I don’t need wild success or glory (though my guy has always managed to come out of his adventures an absolute idol). This character is one of my most unique ones, and I’m proud of him.
If the next installment by @Cataphrak allows this character to simply survive, I will consider that game to be masterfully written indeed.

10 Likes

Bummer I missed out on testing but that’s a pretty damn compelling demo there. Congrats @Cataphrak

@Cataphrak can you tell us who is Princess-Regent Fatima and Baron Maximilian the Lewd?

@Cataphrak

Before anything, I congratulate you heavily in the release of this sequel. The game is amazing, and you have delivered far above what I had expected, but that seems to have become the norm for someone as talented as you, no? :smirk:

That said…

I have a few questions regarding the power of the series, if you could answer them that’d be great indeed.

1. In many instances of the story, a magic-oriented PC utilizes lightning to solve some of his problems. Would you say the lightning conjured by the PC holds the same properties as real lightning? I mean, is it as fast as the real deal, is it composed of the same materials, etc?

2. I find it a bit hard to believe that the Giant Slayer sword, which was used to kill a mountain-sized giant, would be unable to damage the Ever-Living. Would you say the reason it failed to deal decisive damage would be due more to our lack of power/strength, instead of the power of the sword? Likewise, how would Kendrick Giant-Slayer himself have fared against these monstrosities?

3. If Isan ever found himself in a situation where he needed to let loose a blast of magic with his full power/will, what would he be capable of destroying all at once? A building? Maybe a city block? And how far away are we from an Isan with no inhibitions, power-wise? and did the loss of his legs end up making him weaker, as far as magic is concerned?

4. What is the strongest thing one of our magic shields could stop? A cannonball? Or maybe something less?

5. Final question, would you say an offense-oriented MC is capable of deflecting/catching an arrow from a crossbow after it’s been fired?

I’m sorry if these kind of questions seem somewhat out of place, I just find it easier to insert myself into the setting if I have an idea of the power-scale.

1 Like

I like exploring unconventional options, and it’s cool to see that your character survived Hallowford. Isan’s servant and William’s associate (if you accept his offer of promotion) tend to have low personal stats, so succeeding with them can be challenging. The update to Kendrickstone improved Isan’s servant in two ways: choosing to become Isan’s apprentice at the end of chapter 6 is now more likely to boost will and peace magic (it wouldn’t have boosted your character, but it now boosts peace magic even if your character knows the basics already, and it helps those with low will), and if Isan’s servant studies his magical texts in secret and doesn’t get caught, it’s possible to continue studying them.

The worst possible statline at the end of the first game is a character whose personal stats add up to 10 (you start with 11 in personal stats after the dream and choosing your upbringing, so this character ends up with a lower statline than at the beginning). Even this character, however, can be moderately successful in Hallowford. There are lots of different ways to approach the challenges, so there’s generally some solution to be found.

2 Likes

Congrats not just on the new release but it’s effect on the original; I see Hero of Kendrickstone was in the top 30 for iOS RPGs earlier today, which is great for an old title.

4 Likes

Instant buy and instant 5 stars, of course. Great game, looking forward to the lore articles on the Patreon as well. :slight_smile:

1 Like

A Khazari regent from about seventy years before The Hero of Kendrickstone. She directed and fought in several successful military campaigns before stepping down, and basically spent the rest of her life writing about them.

well, he’s Baron Maximilian the Chaste now.

Kind of? It’s definitely got the appearance of lightning. It can set things on fire, and sear flesh, but…

To be fair, while the Stone Giant of Kolmere was very large, it was also mostly made out of mundane granite, as opposed to whatever the hell the Ever-Living are enchanted with. Kendrick Giant-Slayer himself was more a trickster than a warrior, so he would have probably tried to find another solution that didn’t involve direct confrontation.

As for questions of scale, a lot of them are kind of only tangentially relevant regarding how powerful you are as a mage. The force of magic in the Fledgling Realms isn’t based on a linear power scale. The Patreon article I’m going to be writing for next month will really clear things up a bit more.

9 Likes

Was he the one who tried to do lewd things with Mundy?

Oh no, if you wanted to name all of them “the lewd”, you’d have a pretty big group of people.

5 Likes

Under what circumstances does poisoning your allies at the end have any effect? I’ve tried siding with other factions, staying with my allies and stealing the Heart, but the poisoning just never comes up after I do it.

Or do you need to have some specific stat high enough for the poison to actually work?

You do. I’m not going to give away which one it is, but in hindsight, I think it’s pretty intuitive.

Well, I played this game a few days ago with my mix of mage and rogue and since then, I’ve had the chance of replaying it again, and for good reason. The Hero of Kendrickstone is a very good launch, and I’d say, one of Cataphrak’s stronger games, which made me very excited for a sequel.

But I don’t think I’m feeling it too much. When I first finished Cryptkeepers, I thought the ending was incredibly rushed, as if it ended abruptly, out of the blue. Added to that is the fact my character failed in a quite a lot of the situations, which might have made me a bit sour about that. But I also felt like the reason for that wasn’t because the stats were too low, but because I didn’t understood what each choice represented. Is fighting from a distant magic, and from up close Prowess? Can I make up for that with items? And where does subterfuge goes? If the narrative had given me something like “You could rush to fight in the front, but it would require skillfull martial abilities and armor”, I could’ve worked around that, since one stat doesn’t need to be useful all the time, but quite a few of my frustrations existed due to confusion.

As for the characters, during my first run, I wasn’t able to interact with most of them, besides Selim. That made a bit disappointed about them, but I guess that was mostly due to the fact that I played really badly. The more I reread this game, the more I enjoy the other adventurers the MC gets along with, and the denizens of Hallowford are pretty interesting too. I can’t get to know everyone in a single readthrough, and that’s fair. But I’m still not sure what happens to Sam and Adanna in the latter half of the game. Do they join up with Lucan if the MC throws their lot with Sir Michael?

That being said, there is much to like about this game. Even though morale was (reasonably) taken out, even though I thought that it was easy and intuitive, we still get a few scenes with one of the highlights from the original Kendrickstone: the Lore Stats! Just getting the chance to use those little things was fun into itself, and I guess that owes a lot to the fact that I love their little lore snippets. Plus it also adds a lot of value into replaying the game, and reminds that I should go back to finishing my other characters.

In the end, I think that was what Cryptkeepers ended up to me. A game with an engaging premise, whose faults seem to be more structural than momentary (Cataphrak’s prose continues to be very good). It’s certainly not bad, but I think it could’ve better. Either way, these are just my two cents, and the many people who’ve said praises to this work are as valid in their opinion as I am.

8 Likes