The Bastard of Camelot Announcement on post 3193

Will we be able to choose our hight in future chapter?

Hopefully, I always make my guy a giant of muscle.

Fascinating! Would love to see more on the Scottish version!

3 Likes

Itā€™s from the Historia Gentis Scotorum (History of the Scottish People) and Iā€™ll try to explain what I can of it since itā€™s extremely hard to actually get my hands on the text. Basically Arthur usurps the throne from Mordred (Arthurā€™s illegitimate so Mordred should technically be the rightful heir since heā€™s the son of Anna, who is Utherā€™s daughter) but is willing to name him his heir. At some point, he is talked into naming his nephew or cousin Constantine his heir instead and bars Mordred from the throne so Mordred rebels to try to claim his rightful throne.

It was pretty common in the Scottish version of the myth to make Arthur the villain and to portray Mordred more positively since Mordred was the son of King Lot whose kingdoms were located in Scotland. Also the fact that Arthur is usually shown as conquering Scotland and becoming associated politically with the English didnā€™t make the Scots too fond of him.

Itā€™s really interesting to see the different portrayals of Arthurian figures in literature from different countries. The Dutch have some pretty interesting ones too since they focus a lot on the political feud of Kay vs Guinevere & Gawain, with Guinevere and Gawain being portrayed as being the real power at court.

13 Likes

Fascinating!

1 Like

I donā€™t know if youā€™ve already heard or played the game, but may I recommend Golden Treasure: The Great Green? Itā€™s a visual novel where you play the role of a dragon from infancy to its adulthood. Solid experience all around, right down to its replayability (got a demo that gives a good taste of what it has to offers too). :ok_hand:

You can check it out at Itchio or Steam

Golden Treasure: The Great Green by Dreaming Door

couldnā€™t have put your whole post better myself. :+1:

Yep. Weā€™re all here to offer constructive criticism and possible suggestions on the WIPs (even varying opinions on characters and events that pop up), but at the end of the day, it is the authorā€™s story and their call on what to take into consideration as they craft the WIP to point of being fit for publishing.

Can I place a bet on Merlin? Guy seems like he has a habit of unlocking things whether they should be unlocked or not.

Thatā€™s going to be a interesting perspective to watch unfold, to put mildly. I do poke him for probably being one of the characters that is probably even more stubborn about changing for the better and I do personally feel like Lothia would more likely improve as a place once the old Duke steps down and Gareth takes over leadership. But I am still curious to get a glimpse of his mindset and see how justified he feels in letting himself and his lands treat Mordred poorly for things the child had no control over and just how set in his ways he may really be about his choices and actions (or if thereā€™s some small part of him that wavers about something). Or how raw the wound of Morganaā€™s betrayal may still be from his side.

Most likely will happen in one of the future chapters.

I make some of my characters like that as well. But for my own main Male Mordred, I donā€™t think Iā€™m making him much taller than Elaine (maybe even a making him a little shorter than her) and just having a sort of subtle build. I like the idea that people hearing all these terrifying rumors about this child of Morgana and then meeting the very person of the rumors and being like ā€œwait you sure this is the oneā€. :laughing:

My Female Mordred likely feels more intimidating, but thatā€™s got more to do with her presence rather than her appearance. Like if I can compare my two Mordreds to one element, my Female Mordred would be fire while my Male one would be water.

7 Likes

Itā€™s not a very risky bet youā€™re making here! Who else could try to find out about this kind of thing in Camelot! :laughing:

4 Likes

If I was looking to lose money, Iā€™d bet on Lot. :joy:But Iā€™m not, and Merlin really does (currently) feel like the strongest candidate to that scenario.

ā€¦Of course, whose to say that the advisor isnā€™t being outplayed at his own game by an unknown bigger fish. Iā€™ve seen such a situation happen before: the supposed chessmaster is messing with powers that they could not even begin to truly comprehend due to personal ambitions /desires, thinking they are the ones truly in controlā€¦only to learn the hard (and often fatal) way that it was those powers that were in control the whole time and they were more a pawn they originally realized. :thinking:

4 Likes

I had a dream where Nimue and Merlin fought and Mordred and Arthur had to break it up. And then behind the scenes Morgana congratulated her and took her on as a apprentice.

5 Likes

I would be curious to see that in the story. To realize that heā€™s not that much in control, that heā€™s just a pawn in a game that he started would be very satisfying to see.

3 Likes

Thank you so much :heart: It really means a lot to hear it. I appreciate all the feedback I get!

@lili251 Thank you! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

Yes!

:eyes:

15 Likes

Does Arthur know about Accolonā€™s involvement with us? I mean heā€™s trying to be our dad but so is Arthur. I feel like Arthur would get really upset, and make another tournament arrange it to where he faces Accolon and then beats him up.

He know and is thankful to Accolon to have been the father he couldnā€™t

11 Likes

Arthur is well aware of the relationship between Accolon and Mordred. He is not jealous of it, he understands this relationship and even thanks the knight for having accepted this position of father in his place. Now, this does not prevent him from wanting to relate to Mordred and form a relationship similar to that of Accolon and his child. Although for Arthur this will is perhaps more selfish than for Accolon.

5 Likes

I wonder what the actual reason for Lancelot really hating us is. His sons seems to be more because Lancelot does, but why does Lancelot hates us? Itā€™s just kind of a, my friend got screwed over, so Iā€™m going to stay with my friend? Or is it something more legitimate? Aside from that one time that he almost got drowned when they were like 14 or 16.
Though, Iā€™m kind of on the fence on whoā€™s exact fault that was? I mean, Iā€™d say theyā€™re both somewhat to blame? But.
Though, now that I think about it, at least to me anyway, it would be kind of funny if it turned out that Lancelot was actually jealous more than anything, and had only done what he done with The whole coming back to Avalon with the Pendragon cressed thing, trying to impress Morgana, but, monumentally miss calculated. Thatā€™s just me though.

3 Likes

Lancelot hates Mordred because Merlin told him to, basically. Merlinā€™s prophecy says that Mordred will be Camelotā€™s ā€˜undoingā€™, and Lancelot believes that whole-heartedly, so he hates Mordred for trying to ruin the kingdom. Heā€™s too dumb to realize that his mistreatment of Mordred only gives them more reason to want to make that prophecy a realityā€¦

13 Likes

Iā€™m taking the phrase like father like son seriously in this game. I favor Arthur in literally everything, donā€™t get me wrong my guy is a mamaā€™s boy up until we get around the subject to Arthur. And when Lancelot beat the crap out of Accolon my guy made Lancelot and Galahad just how I feel about it. Really wished I couldā€™ve used magic against Galahad when he confronted us.

1 Like

magic is unpredictable, whether a child will inherit the parentā€™s powers or not. The power could skip a generation entirely. Same with the Le Fay blood.

How does someone tell if the child inherited magic? Is there some type of spell or did Morgana just have to wait and see if baby Mordred would start shooting fireballs when they sneezed? -Sorry if someone else already asked this and I missed it.

3 Likes

Straight thought, all these prophecies about world ending things always start, because the parents or, one parent, tries to get rid of the kid. I wonder if there ever has been a prophecy where the prophecy has been foretold, and the parents just look at each other and go, yeah, no, weā€™re keeping this one. And then, lo and behold, absolutely nothing violent happens.

12 Likes

Number of reasons from the looks of it so far.

1. Merlin. Old man knew Lancelot even longer than Arthur and that history makes Lance put just as great (or possibly greater) trust in Merlinā€™s words, especially in regard to the seemingly absolute nature of the prophecies. The man even chose to marry his wife partly because of Merlin telling him how his child from the union would be destined for great things.

2. What Morgana did to him in the past and especially what she did to Arthur (who is his best friend). Is it unfair to judge Mordred, a child, solely for their motherā€™s actions and not truly taking the time to understand Mordred as a person? Very much so, but that has not stopped others from doing the same thing so far.

3. His devotion to protecting Camelot and his loved ones. Combine that with his encouraged views on prophecies, and we get a recipe of a man who is overzealous in his efforts of dealing with someone he sees as less of a person and more as a inevitable danger to everything he has worked to protect or build so far.

4. Over-compensating for the fact heā€™s screwing over his friend by choosing to still see Guen, even after she agreed to get into a arranged marriage with said best friend. Lance isnā€™t dumb; heā€™s aware enough that heā€™s pretty much betraying Arthur both as his best friend and as his Knight Champion by continuing to see Guen. But knowing that doesnā€™t stop him from seeing The Queen of Camelot because he love her too much, and so he continues with his choice even while he feels a level of shame for it. So somewhere in his head, Lance probably believes that by going extra hard in his pursuit to deal with Mordred, itā€™ll be enough to make up for his own constant betrayal in the end.

Lance taught Gally to hate Mordred (even revealed the prophecy to the kid to empathize how dangerous Mordred is supposedly going to inevitably become), but Gally is not so blinded that he doesnā€™t at least feel like something may be off in some way (kid was a little shaken by the brutal lengths his father went in the fight with Accolan) and his youth does possibly make changing a little easier for him. Lance can possibly change for the better himself but, much like with Morgana, its not gonna be a easy road and he may have to fall off his high horse a few times before some things sink in.

And that too. :laughing:

That sounds like a action that would be pretty out of character for Arthur. Indecisive and unconfident he may be at time (to the point he froze up and didnā€™t stop his friend from hurting the man he thanked the other night), but Arthur is far from mean-spirited and does acknowledge that Accolan did what he could not.

Think I actually saw at one point it being mentioned that Arthur can feel some pang of envy toward Mordredā€™s (possible) closeness with Accolan. But even then yeah, Iā€™m pretty sure he has enough awareness on why Mordred would (possibly) share a stronger bond with Accolan even as they connect with the King at first (and why his current strategy may not help foster a strong bond that fast).

Well, the Mordred prophecy in particular doesnā€™t necessarily say that Mordred is gonna bring the end of the world; just that theyā€™re gonna be Camelotā€™s undoing. And not all undoings have to be a bad thing (heck, Arthur may be capable of undoing some of the damage Uther left behind).

Merlin is the one making it out that the undoing Mordred is gonna bring is going to be a bad oneā€¦which should already tell you that thereā€™s likely more to the prophecy than he may be revealing right now.

I certainly never saw that outcome myself mostly because someone does overreact to the prophecy and end up making it self fulfilling. :sweat_smile:

Galahad may be a bit of a thoughtless bully toward Mordred right now, but (much like with Mordred and Morgana) he really shouldnā€™t be held accountable for the choices of his adult father.

These dang eyes, I swearā€¦ :joy:

16 Likes