The Arcanist's Journey—Choose your magic, evolve, and conquer

Originally published at: The Arcanist’s Journey—Choose your magic, evolve, and conquer. - Choice of Games LLC

Hosted Games has a new game for you to play!

Mold an orphan’s path into elemental mastery, unveiling magic’s secrets. Race against approaching foes to conquer the arcane summit. Make friends, cast a great variety of spells, and navigate the hidden truths in this world of magic and might.

The Arcanist’s Journey is a 138,000-word interactive fantasy novel by Colin Daumen. It’s entirely text-based, without graphics or sound effects, and fueled by the vast, unstoppable power of your imagination.

In this captivating interactive novel, you will step into the shoes of an orphan who, burdened by a challenging past, embarks on a daring journey to forge a better future. Forced to flee from home in search of a brighter destiny, you will delve into the realm of magic, determined to master its arcane mysteries. Your choices will shape not only the protagonist’s path to mastery but also the unfolding narrative, as you navigate the trials and tribulations of a world brimming with enchantment and danger. Will you rise above adversity and become the master of your own destiny? The power to weave this compelling tale lies within your hands.

• Play as male or female
  • Shape your protagonist’s destiny through intricate choices
  • Choose whether to join the Fae Academy or the Draken Academy, each granting you greater expertise in different fields of magic.
  • Unveil the mysteries of elemental magic in a richly detailed world.
  • Study from five different schools of magic; Pyromancy, Hydrosophy, Summoning, Theurgy and Illusion.
  • Navigate treacherous decisions as enemies draw near
  • Engage with a captivating narrative, woven with suspense and intrigue
  • Overcome challenges using intellect, wit, or sheer determination
  • Be a part of the Alchemical Society, Mage’s Guild or Adventurer’s Guild

Dive into The Arcanist’s Journey, where your decisions carve the way to mastery and survival. Will you rise to the pinnacle of arcane power or succumb to the encroaching darkness? Your adventure awaits!

The Arcanist’s Journey is 40% off until October 12th!

Colin developed this game using ChoiceScript, a simple programming language for writing multiple-choice interactive novels like these. Writing games with ChoiceScript is easy and fun, even for authors with no programming experience. Write your own game and Hosted Games will publish it for you, giving you a share of the revenue your game produces.

17 Likes

Seems fun. Idk I stoped playing after my magic stats were reset. I felt like the pacing was a little fast.

2 Likes

I remember playing this as a wip, i am so happy to play it again

1 Like

I’m always happy to get another magical school story. I expect I’ll have fun with this one.

3 Likes

Why not on steam?

2 Likes

Saddened by the lack of romance in a choice of games story… still, we will press on.

2 Likes

This is a Hosted Games story, not a Choice of Games story.

1 Like

Only selected HGs go to steam due to the extra cost involved. There are a lot of HGs that are not.

Also congrats on the release Colin. I didn’t see this one as a WIP. I’ve only read the first few pages but it looks like a promising game to play :grinning:

1 Like

Augh I’ve gotten stuck in an endless loop of death. I was glad for the checkpoint, but it doesn’t seem to help me. I die no matter what I choose. :pensive:

1 Like

There is some romance, but you have to have a good enough relationship with the RO in question and be at the right place with that RO at the right time for that relationship to come to fruition before the HG ends.

1 Like

I really wanted to like this since the story and choices seemed kind of nice but there are issues that are stopping that. once around the beginning of the story, my character was referred to as “he” (after choosing to play as a woman) which messed up my immersion.

also I don’t know what the choice of sexual orientation at the beginning was supposed to do… because even when I chose only Men, the whole story kept presenting me with romantic moments and opportunities with the female characters. and Demeter being the only male character you can have a relationship with didn’t help much.

the pace of the story might’ve felt a bit fast. I expected to be more enjoyable, to me at least, but it wasn’t much so, still I would it’s good & could be enjoyable to many others.

2 Likes

Well what the comment above me, pretty much spoke half of my mind, the games story got potential and is interesting, short but interesting and the main problem I have with it is that

1)The story constantly contradicts our Mc’s origin, the game says we are a orphan but later change it that we have a father and a step mom with no mention if they are confirmed alive or not and the game only mentions our brother at the start of the story then later changes it to saying we got siblings and from the way the Mc’s says that they don’t what to go back to that agonizing part in our life and with the talk with AI and the mc only recently thinking about they mom in the academy, I just have to ask is the mc mentally unstable or something, like are some of this typos or were they intentional for the story

2)This have already been mentioned but why the heck are romance choices in reverse, like I know that I chose interested in only women for my mc but the game decided otherwise and it just felt weird

3 Likes

@Bridgetpearl
You will need to make a different choice after you return to the checkpoint, which should open up a new way to tackle the battle you face. It took me about 4 tries to do it.

2 Likes

Can someone explain who the ROs are and whether there’s poly? Also want to know if you go the Summoning route, do you get a permanent pet or are all your summons temporary? Can you even get a permanent pet in this game?

I enjoyed the game quite a bit. But I was a bit p’od the way it ended. So abrupt. “Catastrophe is coming.” End. What? Maybe it was the choices I made? Writing could have been proof read too.

do you know how to not get locked out of Demeter’s romance? i have restarted over ten times and i’m locked out every time i get to the point where the first flirt option comes up

1 Like

Sorry about the late reply. My MCs have never tried to romance Demeter, so I don’t really know for sure how to start that romance. I know from the other two romances that I know are possible, that you need to pick up enough relationship points first to be able to get a chance for a romantic moment and officially start the romance in question. Spending enough time with the LI in question is important and with Demeter I think going to the Adventurers Guild with him will raise the relationship points by quite a bit. And if your relationship hasn’t started up by then, going to the Adventurer’s Guild with him a second time near the end could be a way to kickstart the romance with him, if that hasn’t happened already.

However there’s also the chance that there’s a technical error that prevents you from his romance and if that is the case it’s probably best to contact whoever is responsible for fielding those complaints(can’t remember offhand if it’s the writer or Choice of Games).

the answer is simple, u have to choose you are interested in women

You mean men, surely? Since Demeter at least starts out as a man.

1 Like

:smiling_imp: :smiling_imp: :smiling_imp:
for some reason the game has a error where those who chose interest in women are locked in male romance while those who chose interested in male are locked in female romance, it took me a uncomfortable time to figure this out @natwa