The Advisor WIP -- Updated 2/28/23 (~3k words added)

I have complete (a week later than I hoped) my edits for the prologue and chapters 1 and 2. The edits for chapter 3 based on feedback will be out by the end of the month, along with the first part of chapter 4. I have come to a decision to only write one branch at a time, as I want each to feel unique and complete on their own. It doesn’t matter to which I write first, so anyone can vote for which route they would like to see first.

In this update:

• Customize your relationship with your mentor.
  • Attend a council meeting (if you become the Jarl’s advisor).
  • Spend time with your companions before the attack.
  • A pronunciation guide and reworked stats screen.

Other changes:

• Romances now move more slowly.

In the next update:

• Chapter 3 edits, including further discussion on which route to take.
  • First half of Ch. 4 of the court route.
Which route would you prefer to read first?
  • Vildevakt path
  • Salvian court path

0 voters

6 Likes

About my vote; it’s not that I don’t want to visit the magic forest, I’m just under the impression that the Salvian court path might take a bit more time to set up well. :woman_shrugging:

4 Likes

How can you become the Jarl’s advisor? I feel like I need a guide already :joy: a save system would also help :slightly_smiling_face:
EDIT: I got it :joy:
Anyway, it’s been really fun so far :3 Is the setting Arthurian?

Small mistake, that was supposed to be Alexis I think

Summary

And that’s also not what happened :sweat_smile:

I’m also not sure why this is locked?

Summary

I’m going to make a little easier, but once I finish the next update, I’ll put up a guide! I’ve had trouble with the save system, so I need to figure it out before I add it.

There is some inspiration in Arthurian myth, mostly because that’s what I’ve grown up reading!

That route isn’t going to be an option for a while—switching between routes will just end up confusing me, and then I’ll muddle the two together.

Thank you for your feedback!

This scene is getting rewritten in the next update—though I cannot say for sure when that will be. I’m graduating this semester, so it’s pretty hectic.

5 Likes

How can I be the jarls advisor?

Can I ask what the technology level the world is at currently?

I would put it around the early middle ages. They have printing presses, but siege equipment, like trebuchets, hadn’t been invented until very, very recently. Asmania is more technologically advanced in terms of war machines, weaponry, and armor. They also have more printing presses and value university education a bit higher than Askye.

So, this is subject to change, but currently, there is a hidden stat that tracks how much the Jarl approves of you. You need a score of 12, and you start with 5. So you need to gain at least 7 points without losing any. Befriending Alexis or showing loyalty to Askye will raise your score. Right now, becoming his advisor without befriending Alexis is nearly impossible, especially since he can potentially lower your score if your relationship dips low enough. This is something I plan to change in the next update, since, while your relationships with other characters will be important, I don’t want “The Advisor” to be frustrating!

For now, there is a temporary guide below.

How to gain points

After Alexis questions you:

• +2 if you have a high relationship with Alexis (15 or better)
  • +1 if you declared loyalty to Askye (Choose: Serve Askye)
  • +1 if you didn’t lie to Alexis

When speaking to the Jarl:

• Approach him with respect (+1) OR confidence (+2)
  • Ignore Alexis being his son, then choose “That sounds like a useful ability” (+1)
  • Agree to help find Samuel for the sake of Askye (+1)
  • Have a calm and soothing nature (high restraint) (+1)

When the Jarl asks Alexis his thoughts:

• Relationship > 25 (+2) OR relationship > 20 (+1)
5 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. If you want to reopen your WiP, contact the moderators.

@Hannah_Minger Here you go. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

absolutely loved the story. But found the character descriptions a bit stale. The mc calls the jarl a warrior just on the basis of the staff leaning on the throne? You could have said that he was toned or bulky or had scars or some other characteristics usually possessed by seasoned warriors.

Welcome back

Has there been an update?

Thanks!

Thanks so much! And thanks for the feedback! I’m working on character descriptions.

Thanks, and yep! There will be an update tonight. I didn’t quite get as much as I wanted done this month due to grad school, but I’m excited to post what I do have!

EDIT: The game has been update!

I didn’t manage to finish chapter four, but I am working on it!

16 Likes

Shuddering at the memory of {(spector = “Agnes”) her|his} ruined face

1 Like

This reminds me of the anime The Ancient Magus’ Bride. :laughing:

Small update: I am 100% done with planning for individual scenes and approximately 20% with the writing for one route for chapter 4. As long as I keep the same momentum for the rest of the month, I should be finished by the new year. I’m really pleased with how it’s turning out so far and am excited to show it to yall.

My projected overall word count for when chapter 4 is completely written and updated is 80k-90k (39k-46k per playthrough).

Fixed! Thanks :slight_smile:

I haven’t seen this one, so I had to google it. I can see what you mean lol

7 Likes

The first chunk of Ch. 4 is up! This update adds a little under 8k words.

Because this chapter is going to be really big, and because life continues to be very busy (I’m a grad student, working part-time, starting my practicum, and a bridesmaid in 2 weddings) I am going to be updating in smaller chunks. It’s just more manageable for me. I hope to finish the chapter in its entirety by the end of the summer. When The Advisor is complete, I plan on having 8-10 chapters.

I’m not super concerned about grammatical/spelling errors for this update. The feedback I’m looking for is:

• Are there any odd phrasings/wordings that pulled you out of the story?
  • Are there any choices that you wished you had? Any options that didn’t really fit your character?
23 Likes

This’ll be good, just need those saving slots, and nice story, thanks!

I think you made a mistake with the banner colors.

It’s “Select an Attacker” and then “Select a Victim”, but the MC says “Their banner was [Attacker banner], and the invader’s banner was [Victim banner]”.

Also small bug, idk why it happened but I did send a letter and yet later in the chapter the game forgot that I did.

@{(letter) I sent them a letter when I arrived, but I have no idea if it arrived before…|I wish I had sent them a letter, but it probably wouldn’t even have arrived before…}"