The Academy for Aspiring Heroes

Exactly, or saying the pronoun to correct someone for example “who is she?” "oh, (their pronoun) not goes by she but by(their pronoun).

2 Likes

I quite disagree with you - there’s nothing inherently natural or unnatural in any form of introduction; it’s just a custom. If that society’s form of introduction includes telling pronouns, then that is what they do. It’s worldbuilding. It may feel weird to people who behave differently, but it doesn’t mean it shouldn’t happen.

5 Likes

What the types of magic are about would be a good thing to know when choosing what type of magic one will specialize in.

3 Likes

Hey,great game and I loved it . Can’t wait for the next chapter . However,when going through the stats I saw this error

Sreenshot

2 Likes

Very interesting concept

2 Likes

I really like this so far! I especially love all the options for determining your MC’s family. My heart warmed at the thought of all of the MC’s many siblings seeing her off with a big hug.

I think I’d like to see a bit more explanation on the differences between Combat, Magic, and Magical Combat. It makes sense for MC to know what they are already, but as a player I would like them expanded a bit more before I choose. Combat and Magic are pretty straightforward but when I got to Magical Combat it made me wonder what it is about that area of study separates it from the other two. As heroes, I assume they’re all sort of combat, so does that imply that Magic is focused more on support?

Consider including something like examples of other heroes that MC knows of who belong in each discipline, what each one can and can’t do (like Combat can never do magic which you’ve already included), general class strengths/weaknesses, how your role will be expected to perform within a team of heroes.

I didn’t find any bugs or grammatical errors, it’s looking good so far! Looking forward to playing chapter 2!

2 Likes

Oops! That’ll be fixed in the next update. At the moment the character profiles are just name and pronouns anyway, so it won’t affect the game much.

That’s a great suggestion! I’ll put that in the next update. For now, though, a brief description of Magical Combat. Do you play D&D? If so, think paladin or ranger. Otherwise, as an example, a paladin in D&D uses both the magic of the gods to smite their enemies (or heal them or whatever) and a weapon to bonk them. Maybe your Magical Combat MC learns spells to enhance their weapon, maybe they use magic to buff their team up, maybe they magically distract their enemies, etc. (I hope that was a good description…)

Grammar freak and programming Pinmat have been appeased.

1 Like

I do play DnD, actually my character right now is a paladin haha! I chose Magical Combat since I thought it sounded something in that vein. I didn’t see your description of Magical Combat being like a bard/ranger/paladin in your settings notes until after I played through that part in the game, though. Your notes were helpful to me–I just didn’t see them before I made the choice. Including something like that in the game itself would have averted my confusion.

For those of us who are familiar with DnD the distinction can be easily understood, but I think it was the wording of “Magical Combat”, a combination of the two other options, that stood out to me. One or the other or both? Heck yeah I’m choosing both. But I think it should be made clear that you’re not choosing Combat + Magic, you’re choosing 1/2 Combat + 1/2 Magic. If that makes sense? I hope I’m not derailing or misinterpreting your intentions for the different areas of study, and I don’t really have a solution to offer since “Magical Combat” is already a pretty accurate description of what it is haha.

1 Like

I couldn’t figure out a better way to word it, if you have one I’d definitely take it in a heartbeat, heh.

1 Like

I wish Brisan’s gender could be chosen instead of always being the same as the MC.

3 Likes

Cool start! Like it so far, will keep track of for future updates.

1 Like

I am currently working on the next update! The update will be simple and will include:

• A small snippet of chapter 2, because I spent way too long agonizing over how to introduce [slightly spoilery name here] in two of the available choices
  • Taking a suggestion from elizabot, the prologue will now include descriptions of Combat, Magic, and Magical Combat, with two legendary heroes mentioned in each as well (I am agonizing over the names too much please send help)
  • The stat guide is getting a small update too! I’m adding short descriptions for each school of magic, and I might add a little to the combat section too

Thanks for your patience everyone! Hopefully this mini-update will be out soon!

9 Likes

Hm, maybe we can help. Why are you struggling? You can always opt for names you really like but didn’t suit a character or go by meaning aka Bärbel=present, Lucifer =light bringer etc .

1 Like

You could just name them as a title? One of my main characters in the other book I am working on, first name is literally just knife. Though that’s a bit more specific, since well, she is very very very very very good with knives. Still though.

1 Like

Oop! I meant that as a joke, hehe. I spend way too much time coming up with character names for every project I’ve ever done, whether it’s a D&D character or one for a story I’m writing. I just have a burning desire to make all my characters have THE BEST NAMES!

1 Like

I feel you :sweat_smile:

1 Like

So, um. I hate having to say this. I haven’t been motivated to work on this lately at all. I don’t want to promise you guys anything, but maybe (hopefully?) I’ll start this up again at some point in the future, when I’m more motivated. :frowning_face:

12 Likes

Motivation is important. If you’re not feeling engaged with your creative project, sometimes it means you just need to take a step back for a while. If it means you ultimately drop this, that’s okay, too. Putting yourself out there can make it feel like an obligation to complete what you start, but sometimes (a lot of times, really) that’s not a good angle to view it from.

You do what you enjoy because you like it; if it doesn’t make you feel fulfilled, then moving on is something you may have to do to find what will help you reach that feeling of fulfillment.

This project is first, and foremost, your WIP made by you for the purpose of telling an interactive story. You’re under no obligation to complete it for anyone other than yourself. That’s not necessarily a bad thing, since you did learn quite a bit during the process, I’m sure. :slightly_smiling_face:

6 Likes

Oi @Pinmat135

Hmm, just wondering 'bout this…

Didn’t Cy already mentioned that he was good friends with his neighbour, a charming young girl named Brisan?!? But why saying it again?!? That Brisan who happened to be his neighbour?!?

Just wondering and bit confused too :smile_cat::roll_eyes::thinking:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. If you want to reopen your WiP, contact the moderators.