Task of the Burdened One (WIP) 4/30/2020

I think the biggest thing I’d caution you about is (intentionally or unintentionally) punishing players for choosing to spend time with other characters (which I think the majority would choose to do) as opposed to raising their stats (which is comparably less interesting). Ideally, there should be time enough for a decent amount of both—perhaps spending a lot of time raising stats could result in greater rewards down the line than dabbling would, but somebody who splits their time shouldn’t feel like they’re at a major disadvantage for doing so.

Other than that, the system looks like it has potential to be engaging and immersive; I’d have to see how it feels playing it, but I’m definitely interested!

8 Likes

@CorvusWitchcraft I definitely want people to be able to find both options enticing. At the moment the system has five different sections: Morning, Midday, Afternoon, Evening and Night. Each section (time of day) allows you to do two activities (or two events), except for Night which is a special case*.

I’ll have to go through and tweak the system a bit to not punish players, as you said, for choosing to spend time with characters rather than do skill events. I’m thinking about combining Character and Skill events together; and for certain Skill events, if a character was in the room it would allow for interaction with them (for example, if one of the characters was in the library and you chose to do the chess board skill event, the character may join you while you play and I would add dialogue, etc. to the event to make it meaningful.)

*Night gives you three activities rather than two, but you do get cautioned for choosing to do these activities rather than sleep during this time. (Not sleeping makes you exhausted and gives you some penalties such as losing one event per time period, but there will be rewards in the form of special Night Events, for example. I haven’t worked out all the kinks yet.)

Thank you for the comment! This is definitely the kind of input I need going forward in writing the Stats Rehaul update!

10 Likes

I really love this so far! it’s so interesting and the writing is fantastic. I’m so excited for more :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I really enjoyed the demo. Can’t wait to see what more you have for us.

1 Like

Wow, such a cool background for Cassica! :blush: I really hope that this arranged marriage stuff will be annulled or something.

1 Like

@Mei_Hiroshi You absolutely will have the chance to agree to it or not; and in later chapters, have it annulled, of course :smiley:

3 Likes

Aaah nooo! That was way to short!
I don’t read logs, so I expected it to at least include the entire background - now I’m frustrated :sweat_smile:
Not but seriously, so far it was very good. I like the writing style a lot, and I’m very intrigued about what will happen in the future.

I didn’t spot any mistakes or anything, but I have a couple of questions, opinions or suggestions, so I’ll go over that

• I’m not very fond of the images for the chapter titles and so on. I much rather prefer a nice and/or decorated font. I think it’s a big jarring as it is, but that may just be me. (this is just an opinion, not suggesting you change it if you like it!)
  • Yay for cool flavor text on the stats screen if you check at the very beginning. I’m always appreciative of that.
  • It would be nice to have physical descriptions of the characters, whether in game (I don’t mean when the character appears, but somewhere in the stat screen/relationship page or whatever, for the players to check out anytime) or at least in the original post here.
  • Is Marcol a romance option (for the mage)? Please tell me he is…

I can’t give more extensive feedback since the WIP was very short. But I’ll be waiting eagerly for new updates.

2 Likes

@Konoi I’m glad you liked it! Thank you for the feedback!

• You’re the first to say anything about the chapter titles (like or dislike, lol, no one has mentioned anything to me, so I will look into seeing what I can do. I had made them from scratch with a free online program. It never took more than a few seconds so it’s not a big deal to change them if it’s something consistently jarring. Thank you for letting me know!)

• Flavor text is always fun haha!

• I am currently working on the Stats Rehaul Update, which includes character descriptions in the stats page as well as a much more immersive introduction. The intro is getting a pretty heavy rehaul so a lot of what you can play right now is very early. Once I’ve completed the new intro, I’ll update the public demo. At the moment, I have finished about 25% of the Intro for the Mage route, and am currently jumping over to Warrior Route to add some content there!

• Marcol is indeed a romance option for both The Warrior and The Mage, lol. All ROs are romance options for both paths (The Heir (Vikander/Viktoria), Alice, Marcol, The Enchanter (Elias/Ellyn), Orion, Talarae, and The Goddess Yenia).

7 Likes

I am so happy someone has made something like this. Thank you. Not to get too personal, but blind people really lack access to complex games and storylines, so I’m so glad someone has made something with the kind of triple a story quality/complexity that seems to be planned here.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. If you want to reopen your WiP, contact the @moderators.