Stronghold -- BETA TESTERS NEEDED

When you lay your claim to a piece of land, building a community isn’t all it’s cracked up to be. You must defend your people from goblins, thieves, and magical dangers to boot. By Amy Griswold and Jo Graham, authors of The Eagle’s Heir.

Email me, jason AT choiceofgames for access. DO NOT SEND ME A MESSAGE THROUGH THE FORUM MAIL SYSTEM. When you send your EMAIL, include your forum-name, your real name, and the game you want to test.

DO NOT POST ASKING WHAT MY EMAIL ADDRESS IS. The first test to becoming a beta tester is inferring what it is based on the above paragraph.

(You cannot be testing two games at once. Send feedback on one and you can apply to another.)

I will send you a link, a username, and a password.

Return feedback TO ME. Preferably part of the same thread, rather than a new email.

I’m looking for “high level” and “low level” feedback. Not mid-level feedback.

Low-level = typos and continuity errors. A continuity error is when a character’s gender flips, or someone comes back from the dead, or you run into a plotline that just doesn’t make sense (because it’s probably a coding error).

For these low-level issues, SCREENSHOTS are VERY HELPFUL. If you see a problem, take a screenshot, or copy and paste the text that is in error, and email that. Also, the “BUG” button is great; but if you use BUG, make sure to say in your email who you are, so I can give you credit for the report.

“High level” feedback has to do with things like plot, pacing, and characters. “Scene A didn’t work for me because x, y, and z,” is useful feedback. “B character was entirely unsympathetic, because u, w, and v,” is also useful feedback.

“Mid-level” feedback describes things like grammar, style, or the use of commas. As I said above, I do not want mid-level feedback. In particular, DO NOT WRITE TO ME ABOUT COMMAS.

“I had a great time and saw only a few spelling errors,” is not useful feedback. In fact, it’s the sort of thing that results in you not being given access to future betas.

Some examples of useful feedback:

In Choice of the Dragon, you get to choose what type of wings you have: leather or scaled. Someone wrote in and asked about having feathered wings. Great suggestion! Done!

In “The Eagle’s Heir,” someone asked about Eugenie. They said that the romance moved too quickly–because she only appeared in the last third of the game–and wished they could have had an opportunity to meet her earlier. So the authors added an opportunity to meet her and start the romance earlier in the game (in a scene that already existed).

In “Demon Mark: A Russian Saga” several people commented on how the PC’s parents were unsympathetic, so the authors added a choice or two to deepen the relationship with the parents in the first chapter, to help better establish their characters.

Similarly, pointing out a specific choice and saying, “this is who I imagined my character was at this particular moment, and none of these options seemed right for me. I would have liked an option to do X instead,” is really helpful feedback.

Another useful piece of feedback: if you choose an #option and then the results of that #option don’t make sense. Like, if you thought an #option might test one stat, but it seems to have tested a different one.

How to do sign up beta tester?

Initial post. The paragraph under the summary.

Jason you should have mines

New draft posted!

• Fixed stat screen to correctly display your spouse or sibling
  • Fixed bug where Ebbin and Ari had a son even if you were married to Ari
  • Fixed a couple of pronoun coding issues

New draft posted!

Fixed:
*Bugs involving pronoun coding, fallthrough errors, and repeated text
*Bug preventing the Militia from getting credit for defending the mines or herds in Chapter 2
*Bug preventing Ebbin and Fram from reacting if you broke your promise about the town’s future in Chapter 2
*Bug preventing talking to Mallosian in Chapter 5 if you’re courting her
*Bug allowing you to become engaged to Ari twice in different chapters
*Bug preventing naming your adopted child as your heir

Added:

*Additional varied text in some scenes to reflect the PC’s family relationship with particular NPCs
*Player character age now displayed on the stats screen
*Some additional Modest(/vs. Proud) personality-setting options
*A chance to make a significant purchase at the fair (a horse, weapon, or book)

I sent an email but no one replied.

I’ve sent out some new invitations, but right now there are a lot of testers that want access. I’m waiting for another new draft before I send out more.

New draft up! More invitations issued!

• Fixed bug preventing poly romances from progressing properly in Chapter 5
  • Fixed bug causing your heir to sometimes die for no apparent reason in Chapter 9
  • Hair color and type can now be set separately from skin color
  • There’s now more explanation of Kerkhelm’s position, your role as Holder, and what to consider when choosing an heir
  • You can now get to know Kingfisher better while you’re lost in the woods
  • Having made a deal with the goblins is now correctly acknowledged in later chapters
  • You now have a farewell scene if you are killed using the magic of the Old Ones to save your town
  • Your heir now always becomes Holder after you if you successfully save the town and both you and your heir survive

Did yqou send the invitations to specific people?

I’d like to beta test but it won’t let me email you if you could help me out it would be appreciated

The email is in the initial post. To find out what it is, think about the typical email conventions should be, and your email should get through :slight_smile:

It wouldn’t be a real beta post without this comment. Thank you <3

New draft posted!

Miscellaneous bug fixes, including:

• Fixed bug causing a phantom child named “none” to appear if you had no children.
  • Fixed bug preventing your fate from displaying correctly if you saved your town and survived.
  • Fixed bug preventing your age from displaying correctly in the epilogue.

You can now specify that your character doesn’t feel that any of the gender options in their culture fits them well.

Later building choices now hint more strongly at which town stats they raise.

Added an earlier introduction for Petta.

Added more interaction with your child at the fair.

Added your child’s name-day party (in either chapter 6 or 7).

Added an option to talk to your child about whether they want to be your heir.

Added a variant of the night before battle scene with Ebbin if you and Ebbin were spouses/siblings but have parted.

New draft posted!

• Pronoun and typo fixes in Chapter 5-7

New draft posted!

• Miscellaneous bug fixes
  • Added an opportunity to ask Ebbin about his feelings for Ari when discussing setting a wedding date
  • Made it clearer that Ebbin doesn’t intend to interfere with your engagement to Ari (and vice versa)
  • Added more description of your child’s early years and a choice about parenting in Chapter 6
  • Expanded your child’s name-day scene to include more interaction with your child in Chapter 6/7
  • Added an additional dream sequence in Chapter 8
  • Added variant text in the epilogue if you and Ebbin have parted

New draft posted!

• Minor bug fixes/typos
  • Added additional appearances of Edo and/or Loric in Chapter 6.
  • Added a check-in to see how your heir is shaping up in Chapter 8.
  • Exended the aftermath of performing the ritual in Chapter 8, including your sibling or spouse’s reaction.
  • If you ask others to help perform a magical ritual in Chapter 9, they now factor into their decision what happened if you performed a ritual in Chapter 8.

LAST CALL FOR FEEDBACK!

(Fuck you Discourse.)

rushes to get something worthwhile in, cursing real life stuff Dx