Shattered Eagle: Fall of an Empire (WIP) [50k words]

8nf4ph
Yes, this does have a double meaning.

Poor guy got kicked out of the tent as soon as the deed was done. With such a roast I’m suprised Titus didn’t turn into KFC.

13 Likes

Love the demo so far!! Would it be possible also to select the MC age? Like 30s, 40s, 50s, or 60s? Thx : )

2 Likes

Playing through the game I have to say the premise is extremely interesting and the fact that Ludia is a matriarchal society just adds more spice to it.I would request you to make a Tumblr for this game ASAP

1 Like

LOL. Possibly before any deed was ever done, depending on choices.

Thank you! Unfortunately no, the MC’s age is fixed for story purposes, though time will march on throughout the story.

Thank you! I can’t say I’ve ever made a tumblr, especially for an IF. Is there anything you’d recommend?

8 Likes

Wait if we play male MC there’s a possibility Augusta could be theirs ?

This is most likely for sure that she is the child of MC. Because if you take this route, it says that the Empress did not want to share a bed with the Emperor. And given that we can choose the appearance of the MC, there will hardly be any doubts.

5 Likes

Yep. I believe that, when given the chance, you have to say you enjoy the Empress’ intimate favour, either because you genuinely like her or are just in it for the power and are cunning enough to hide that fact, then later on, there will be an option where you can remark that you see a lot of yourself in Augusta, and then, if you select that option, the game immediately gives you one last chance to either back out of that arrangement or confirm it.

5 Likes

It’s a really cool game, I liked the possible romance with the Empress the most. I don’t usually choose love relationships with female characters, but she’s a very entertaining character. The way she presents herself to others, and the way she behaves around the MC. I also like “Love” as a motivation for MC.

I also wanted to ask if I’m playing a benevolent, nice and sweet character who doesn’t want to hurt others. Will this worsen the friendship and/or romantic relationship with the Empress?

4 Likes

Yea game will mention the Empress never layed with Titus for a child at all during this route. Only person she’s been with was you so Augustas father is obvious by that.

A male or transgender female MC, yes.

Thank you! I’m glad I created a complex character with her. As to that, there may be times when you lose favor and get disapproval dialogues, but it won’t break either friendship/romantic relationship to be more empathetic/benevolent towards others.

5 Likes

Nice :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

The Empress can be quite ruthless and expects you to carry out her will. So while it will probably not doom the relationship to act in a more empathetic manner, your relationship stat will go down if you act insubordinately.

While I am a certified Grade-A Julia enthusiast, the game is very clear that her love for you is limited by politics and the nature of power. She will always keep you at (metaphorical) arm’s reach even as she kisses you, because in her position, allowing anyone control could be fatal. Keep in mind that she is a ruthless power player, and as Perfect, we are a rival for that power. I would not be surprised if she’s planned ways to counterbalance against us if we were to move against her, or even plotted on how to have us killed if the need arises. So be careful with how much you’re willing to defy our glorious Empress.

5 Likes

How powerful is the player character, exactly? Unofficially, we seem to be a vizier-type, which makes us the second most powerful figure in Iudia after the Empress. But our official position of Prefect is left a little ambiguous. Are we the head of a ministry, such as the tax collection or Treasury?

One of the options puts as head of logistics for a legion, which in theory renders us under the authority of the Magister Militum, head of all the Legions. Will that influence the story?

4 Likes

A vizier is a good analogue, but the MC is basically the chief of all ministers. The career options represent what the MC’s background was prior to the Empress taking the throne and making the MC her right hand, so while the MC has those experiences and connections, they aren’t what they oversee now.

As Prefect of the State, the MC does not formally lead any ministry, but rather you are the go-between for all the apparatus of state and the Empress, which is why you are the only other person to carry a copy of the Imperial Seal. This is something I lifted from Byzantine history actually, their office of Mesazon, chief confidant to the Emperor.

Will the MC’s past career influence the story? Absolutely. Already in what I’ve written in Chapter II so far (10k words which is honestly not a lot given how many branches there are) I have two unique variations of scenes coded for two different careers.

17 Likes

Personally, I am most looking forward to this WIP. Cheers for creating such an interesting world!

1 Like

This is, no joke, the IF of my dreams. I have a scholarly focus in the late Roman senate and particularly in the interaction between the late Roman senatorial aristocracy and the up-and-coming imperial bureaucracy, and the tensions and power struggles between the two (along with the increasing autocracy of the imperial position).

I absolutely LOVE how you’ve portrayed the Senate here – mindful of their ancient prerogatives, hearkening back to traditions, and even the refusal to officially acknowledge the position of empress while in a formal Senate hearing. I am going to be interested to see all the permutations in those interactions. I also enjoy the tension between the Senate CLAIMING to act in the public interest and wanting the Res Publica restored versus the situation of the actual public.

The discussion of the grain dole reminds me of famous incidents from late antiquity where the ordinary consuls or the urban prefect had to beg the emperors for emergency grain because of issues with the grain supply, because the People would hold the Senate responsible if the grain supply had a shortage.

Also, the word matrician. Very clever. I hope to see the Senate formally addressed as “Matres Conscripti” at some point. I played a female MC for my first run but am excited to see how things play out if I flip the protagonist gender.

Speaking of the protagonist, like I said – I have been waiting for this kind of IF for ages. Both the late antique interest and the fact that we get to play an actual bureaucrat administering the empire and not just playing soldier (although I see that some of that plays a role too). You joked about “Middle Aged Bureaucrat Simulator” earlier, OP, and that’s exactly what has me so excited about this IF!

Especially the ways you can focus on what skills you have, what your motivations are (duty, power, idealism, love! Awesome) and also you can decide the reasons you are mentoring the Augusta and how to shape that mentorship. I absolutely love the different permutations of your relationship with the Augusta, with her mother, with the trophy emperor (ha!) and how you advise them.

Going to be really excited to focus on a duty-oriented, rhetoric/scholarship focused character who is trying to juggle loving the imperial family, being a good advisor focused on the betterment of the Empire, while also believing in and respecting senatorial traditions. I’ve literally just met these characters, but I’m already invested in trying to mentor the Augusta into becoming the best ruler she can be. Can I do it??? I hope so!!

Super excited to see where things go from here. Also, clever choice in chosing to be inspired by late antique Rome but going with your own setting – lets you be a lot more flexible.

Also, thanks for the insight on your inspiration for the Prefect of the State. It reminds me a lot of the magister officiorum too, I am less familiar with the later Byzantine offices but I like that chief confidant aspect as well that you referred to.

12 Likes

I’m no scholar like yourself but the Senate’s interaction reminded me of the HBO show Rome. It also made me despise them as I despise them in the show lol

2 Likes

Thank you!

Wow, thank you! I’ve only a hobbyist interest in Rome, though most of my minor in history was in Byzantine History, which I’ve put a fair bit into this as well, so I’m glad you’ve enjoyed it so far! The conflict between the People and the Senate in their uneasy alliance against the consolidation of imperial authority will play a significant role in the events to come, so that’ll be something to look forward to.

I’ve always been interested in the councilors and advisors of history, the grey eminences who so often held far more power and influence than the rulers whose ears they whispered into, yet who can be largely forgotten by history due to the fact that their power was a quiet thing, and they wore no crowns and sat on no thrones. Making an administrator MC instead of say, a royal or a general, was a bold choice I thought but judging by all the positive feedback I’ve received thus far, it seems as people have enjoyed it as well.

The choice of a fictional setting yet heavily inspired by real history I’ve really appreciated in my writing because it allows me so much flexibility and creativity in the story without needing to adhere to historical accuracy and realism. There’s absolutely more “out-of-the-ordinary” happenings in this story that would certainly not belong in a more strictly accurate historical setting that will be fun to see unfold.

There’s no direct analogue in the Roman Empire for the Prefect of State, but the Mesazon served as useful inspiration because it’s something of a chimera of a Chief of Staff and Prime Minister sort of role that allows the MC a lot of latitude in what they can accomplish. I believe first and foremost in the idea that the MC as protagonist should be the biggest mover and shaker in the story, and they will need to exert power and influence to do so.

This reminds me of how disappointed I was by HBO’s Rome being so badly rushed. :smiling_face_with_tear: But I’m glad I painted a vivid picture of the Senate’s flaws, everyone is pretty heavily flawed in this story, so the ‘right choice’ comes down to your own personal perception, rather than me putting my finger on the scales.

15 Likes

I also saw similarities to a more modern PM-type role. In some ways, Iudia also reminds me of England before parliamentary supremacy in the late 1600s, right down to the Monarch’s control of government, the aristocratic legislature, and the amorphous structure of who is actually in charge besides the Crown. There were defined posts like the First Sea Lord, but any overarching authority was likely to be highly personal and bestowed by the Monarch, like in Iudia.

5 Likes

Let me know if you want any historical input or book suggestions you could use for inspo! It’s an original setting, but the drama between the Senate and People was actually a thing that did persist in the Roman Empire up until around the period of Justinian. The Senate was very interested in currying favor with the urban populace through games and beneficence (one of the few things they were still allowed to do) and the People used games to make their displeasure with the emperors or consuls known, because it was the one place where their voice was still heard!

Which is why I love that the consul character in this game keeps pointing out that Iudia is technically a republic and the traditions of the senate and people are much more ancient than the office of empress. It’s a fun, and very real echo. Brings to mind the reasons Justinian eventually abolished the office of consul, because it was a very potent echo of the old republic that he wanted to abolished. The empress’s disdain for the Senate reminds me a lot of him, actually!

I just finished a male MC run too, and I’m fascinated by the idea that Augusta can be your kid. I can’t wait to try and juggle my character’s parental feelings towards Augusta, desire to raise her to be a good ruler, and the way I’m playing to roleplay some sympathies towards the Empire’s senatorial traditions. It might be even harder to juggle than I thought when I wrote my initial post, haha.

Yeah! You mentioned your Byzantine history minor – there’s a perfect example, we all call it the Justinianic Code even though his advisors like Trebonian did the bulk of the work distilling and codifying Roman law. All throughout history, the ruler gets the credit for the work the administrator does… and many times they’re content to stay behind the scenes.

Except when they decide to usurp! I don’t intend to go down the Power road for my main MC, but it would be fun to explore that option too.

100% You can mine history for examples and ideas but you won’t be constrained by it. It’s a really good choice.

Reminds me a lot about the position of chancellor in Imperial Chinese history – a position so powerful that it sometimes stayed vacant, because it could be prone to usurpation or chancellors who basically acted as regents for the emperor (something that became institutionalized in Japan under the Fujiwara Regency!).

Yeah, I like the balance you’ve chosen between not being a general or a royal, but being a chief minister who can both dictate policy and affect the relationship between the major power blocs in the Empire.

Agreed! Especially the bit where the consul proposes something like a written constitution to balance powers between the senate and the monarch. Never quite happened there, but was definitely something folks were thinking about all through the enlightenment period and beyond.

9 Likes