Seven Hours in orbit

I’d suppose that’d depend on how your ship’s power plant operates as well, and how it interacts with the main thruster. If, say for instance, the MC’s ship runs sublight as well as FTL, and uses an EM-Drive (assuming that they actually work) or other reaction-less space-futurey engines… if power’s out, you’re not really going anywhere.

Yes if the crew reached their destination they would have remained in orbit while the terraforming process occured monitoring it and fixing any issues that pop up. The destination planet was chosen because it was meant to be almost similar to Earth but just with a higher carbon dioxide levels. It meant to make it liveable would be quicker and easier than if they had to alter more than just the co2 levels. but this is more for background info as the planet the Orion is orbitting isn’t the destination planet. in fact the Orion will have only been two months into its journey when the incident/accident/whatever it will be occured.

@RETowers

there is a reason why the power is important to staying in orbit but I wasn’t sure what yet. My initial thoughts were the downward thrusters are what was keeping the ship in orbit. But a decaying orbit as suggested by @Johnny101 makes a lot more sense.

2 Likes

I know ships have faster than light technology, and I’m assuming that means that a rescue that occurs much quicker than two months is impossible? Unless there’s super-fast ships?

But how fast are the communications? Are they just as limited?

Why’s the ship in orbit around the planet in the first place and not instead just drifting in space? Is that something we’ll discover? Did aliens do it? :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

A rescue ship would take two months but there are higher tier ships capable of reaching them sooner but they aren’t equipped for rescuing people.

Communications are pretty quick as long as there is no interference.

The Orion SHOULD have been drifting in space. You can discover why the ship is in orbit of a planet if you wish but which crew member you are will alter how much you can learn. For example the Captain has access to classified reports. Spoiler A wizard did it! :wink:

3 Likes

Wizards in space always have to be technomages. They may be at times saving the universe, but if you meet one personally it alway means your screwed. :smile:

Thanks @FairyGodfeather hehe

1 Like

I like the idea. Looking forward to seeing it. An Apollo 13 type COG could work really well with critical decisions to be made on a countdown timer.

1 Like

I actually misread ‘hours’ as ‘horses’.

Six horses in orbit.

All The Pretty Space Horses.

Well that gives me some ideas. Thanks!

4 Likes

okay here are the stats so far;

*comment character stats
*create name “???”
*create surname “???”
*create male false
*create role “Crewmember”
*create suit_oxygen 100
*create suit_power 100
*create suit_armor 100
*create suit_shields 100
*create suit_upgrade “Unknown”
*create morale 100
*create stress 5
*create trust 100

*comment E.S.A Orion stats
*create ship_condition 100
*create ship_oxygen 100
*create ship_power 100
*create ship_armor 100
*create ship_shields 100
*create main_thruster “Online”
*create maneuver_thruster “Online”
*create power_core “Online”
*create oxygen_converter “Online”
*create communications “Online”
*create sos false
*create hours_remaining 7

*comment crew stats
*create captain “Blake”
*create captain_gender “female”
*create c_he “she”
*create c_him “her”
*create c_his “her”
*create captain_condition “Healthy”
*create captain_morale 100
*create captain_friendship 50
*create pilot “Drew”
*create pilot_gender “male”
*create p_he “he”
*create p_him “him”
*create p_his “his”
*create pilot_condition “Healthy”
*create pilot_morale 100
*create pilot_friendship 50
*create security “Max”
*create security_gender “female”
*create s_he “she”
*create s_him “her”
*create s_his “her”
*create security_condition “Healthy”
*create security_morale 100
*create security_friendship 50
*create doctor “Cameron”
*create doctor_gender “male”
*create d_he “he”
*create d_him “him”
*create d_his “his”
*create doctor_condition “Healthy”
*create doctor_morale 100
*create doctor_friendship 50
*create engineer “Riley”
*create engineer_gender “female”
*create e_he “she”
*create e_him “her”
*create e_his “her”
*create engineer_condition “Healthy”
*create engineer_morale 100
*create engineer_friendship 50
*create trainee “Tyler”
*create trainee_gender “male”
*create t_he “he”
*create t_him “him”
*create t_his “his”
*create trainee_condition “Healthy”
*create trainee_morale 100
*create trainee_friendship 50

All names are subject to change I just when for names that could refer to both a male or female character.

5 Likes

Lol you know it is your fault, now I have a greater urge to work on my game. Been doing a little here and there but now going to have to add it into my work flow rotation hehe. Maybe a couple hours twice a week will take care of the itch. :wink:

3 Likes

You’re welcome :grinning:

I’ve not worked on it much been stuck entertaining the kids lol

3 Likes

Read the name on first pass as Ripley.

I was pumped for an Aliens shout out.

Now I’m a touch sad.

I’ll add Ripley as a surname option :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Lol was thinking the same thing in my game. :wink:

Okay a very VERY brief opening just to test initial stats and the menus.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/82599458/seven%20hours%20in%20orbit/Seven%20hours%20in%20orbit.html

Comments welcome.

Here are my issues so far.

• I really dislike my gender choice am currently trying to think of other better ones.

• Are the stats clear enough? Would you like any new ones?

• Is the opening enough to draw you in (what little there is.)

• Still thinking of surnames for the NPCs.

1 Like

Certainly quite brief. The stats are clear and concise, which is good. Not wild about the gender selection options, either. It may be worth revising, honestly. I’d probably approach it as part of the confirmation system- as you had to confirm name and role. Maybe make a comment about how the suit starts off as a bubble and then conforms to your frame.

I wrote them, went to grab a drink then sat back down looked at them and thought what the fudge did i just write! I liked gender options to be storybased as opposed to main or female. (like in unnatural you either sit by the other boys or girls in a test enviroment where the teacher splits them up.)

1 Like

Right, that worked in Unnatural. I’m trying to figure out a way that would work in this particular context. Maybe the AI hits you with an honorrific option while you’re adjusting?

Oooh that’s given me an idea.

As you log in a brief Message pops up.

Welcome back Sir.
*choice
#Let’s get on with it.
*if (role != “engineer”)
#That damn nerd hacked my account again I’m a Miss.
*if (role = “engineer”)
#Someone has hacked my account I’m a Miss.

Hmm slightly better but I need to work in an option for other gender prefs)

4 Likes

Or, you could leave it at that. Make the gender option more of a, “Well, shit. The AI is malfunctioning. I’m no ‘Sir’ after all… I’m options

Yeah, that gender choice really doesn’t work for me.

I’d have no problem having a female character referred to as Sir. I would object to either being called Miss though. Ma’m might be slightly preferably alternative to miss, but again.

But let me grab a Voyager quote. :stuck_out_tongue:

KIM: Thank you, sir.

JANEWAY: Mister Kim, at ease before you sprain something. Ensign, despite Starfleet protocol, I don’t like being addressed as sir.

KIM: I’m sorry, ma’am.

JANEWAY: Ma’am is acceptable in a crunch, but I prefer Captain. We’re getting ready to leave. Let me show you to the bridge.

Could you segregate the crew’s quarters into male and female sections?

3 Likes