Running into a little weird problem thing that's not actually showing up as an error, but I kinda would love to fix it please!

Okay so, I don’t know why this is happening, I mean it’s really basic and I’ve done it before and it turns out okay, but this time it’s just not working?

It’s the super mega basic thing of different choices showing different text results, but THIS TIME it’s showing me BOTH VERSIONS after I make the choice! Like, you can’t see it here because it isn’t an error, but I can take a screenshot of the game running and it shows up THERE.

Please help? Also should I include a screeny? :frowning:

A human born on ${birth_world}, you grew up...

*choice
  #An only child.
    *set nosis true
    *goto historyhuman3
  #With an older sister.
    *set oldsis true
    *goto historyhuman3

*label historyhuman3

To review: You were born on ${birth_world}, and you are an only child. Moving forward, please choose your career history.

*if (nosis)
 *fake_choice
   #Civilian.
     *set history "civilian"
     *goto_scene sex
   #Military.
     *set history "military"
     *goto_scene sex

To review: You were born on ${birth_world}, and you have an older sister. Moving forward, please choose your career history.	 

*if (oldsis)
 *fake_choice
   #Civilian.
     *set history "civilian"
     *goto_scene sex
   #Military.
     *set history "military"
     *goto_scene sex

See, it works FINE, you can pick your choices and stuff, but AFTER, it’ll show:

> To review: You were born on ${birth_world}, and you are an only child. Moving forward, please choose your career history.
> 
> To review: You were born on ${birth_world}, and you have an older sister. Moving forward, please choose your career history.

Like JUST LIKE THIS, like RIGHT ON TOP OF EACH OTHER. If you pick “nosis” it works just fine, but if you pick “oldsis” it doesn’t just display ONE, it shows BOTH OF THEM ON TOP OF EACH OTHER. Please help?! Am I just having an off day of no soda and I screwed this uber basic thing up somehow, or did I break something somewhere in the actual code that’s not giving me an error?

For a clue, what happens if [nosis] is actually false?

You either have to put the text into the choice:

*choice
  #An only child.
    *set nosis true
    To review: You were born on ${birth_world}, and you are an only child. Moving forward, please choose your career history.

*goto historyhuman3
  #With an older sister.
    *set oldsis true
    To review: You were born on ${birth_world}, and you have an older sister. Moving forward, please choose your career history.	 

*goto historyhuman3

*label historyhuman3
*choice
   #Civilian.
     *set history "civilian"
     *goto_scene sex
   #Military.
     *set history "military"
     *goto_scene sex

OR
under the *if

*choice
  #An only child.
    *set nosis true
    *goto historyhuman3
  #With an older sister.
    *set oldsis true
    *goto historyhuman3

*label historyhuman3
*if (nosis true)

*if (oldsis true)

*choice
   #Civilian.
     *set history "civilian"
     *goto_scene sex
   #Military.
     *set history "military"
     *goto_scene sex

You can also combine oldsis and nosis into sis (with *create sis “” in the startup), turning the choice and *ifs into

*choice
  #An only child.

*goto historyhuman3
  #With an older sister.
    *set sis "old"

*goto historyhuman3

*if (sis != "old")

*if (sis = "old")

*choice
   #Civilian.
     *set history "civilian"
     *goto_scene sex
   #Military.
     *set history "military"
     *goto_scene sex
1 Like

Um, well, nothing? The very top choice sets either you have a sibling or you don’t have one to true, but you can’t GO BACK and set BOTH to true, so…nothing happens. It goes on to the next choice, where it’s SUPPOSED to tell you if you have a sibling or not depending on the prior choice. I just went through them again and when you say you don’t have a sibling it works fine, but when you pick the sibling option it shows both of them.

So apparently it’s just something messed up with the oldsis one?

Okay, thanks PENGUIN! I’ll try them out and see what happens! :slight_smile: Hope it fixes it!

Hm. You probably forgot to set the default value of [oldsis] to false.

No I didn’t, I already checked that before. :frowning: They’re both set to false in startup.

I added a bit about combining the variable there

1 Like

Thanks penguin! I just copied and pasted your first version into it, so I’m gonna try it. :slight_smile: UM, why do you have to have the huge space between the game dialogue and the *goto though?

EDIT: YAY PENGUIN’S worked! The first one with the huge space and the text inside the choice.

The error is because the reviews aren’t actually being covered by the ifs.
It’ll only happen if oldsis is true.

2 Likes

Oh, dumdum me.

Easy, nothing’s wrong going on here.

You just need to put the review of the nosis inside the conditional check.

1 Like

Yeah I used Penguin’s first version with the huge space and the review inside the choice and it works fine now. :slight_smile: