Romance in non-romance genre

Okay, so I’d suggest rather than tack on a romance or squeeze one in, which can result in romantic plotlines that feel disconnected from the story, you just let it develop freely from the story. Think about the other characters in your story: which ones are single, not too far away in age, possibly compatible with the main character? Who might the main character want to bond with? Then, think about whether any of those characters might attempt initiating something with the main character, or what would happen if the main character tried initiating something with them. If any of that makes sense within the overall plot, you’ll then have potential romances that really belong as a part of the story.

I don’t know if you’re considering writing a WiP that you share on the forum, but if you do, you’ll also find plenty of people who’ll just outright say who they’d like to romance, which could also help if you’re uncertain :grin:

I have this stuck in my head now :stuck_out_tongue:
(Here’s a fact for anyone who wasn’t aware: the music in Disney’s Sleeping Beauty is from Tchaikovsky’s Sleeping Beauty ballet, just switched around and with words added :grin:)

2 Likes

I certainly got a “So, the best friend’s older brother; can I romance him?” on my WIP, and I know I was responsible for a “So that guy who just died; can I save and then romance him?” :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

4 Likes

You and your dead boyfriends :rolling_eyes: Just don’t kill the lesbians…pretty please? :grin:

7 Likes

Certainly better than the other way around :pensive:

5 Likes

Well, TBH, the thing that bothers me the most about romance in my… well… project… is that most CYOA games (especially CoG titles) allows non-straight genders. And IDK how romance works for non-straight :confused:

Trigger warning: In my country, anything but straight male and female is… well… non-ethical, unacceptable. You’re a disgrace to the society by being a gay/lesbian, or transgender. And bi/pan/asex is not even existed in the world

Or should I just stick with the straight gender only?

Does this count as necrophilia? :smiling_imp:

1 Like

Well, just write it as you would for the opposite gender, and then leave it open to anyone. It shouldn’t make that big a difference.

Well, I did specify “save”…

6 Likes

The same way it does for heterosexuals, only with different genders. People like each other and they express it. There may be some different ramifications due to society, but that will depend entirely on the setting. (Well, and any other differences would likely be off screen, so to speak.)

You really can write the same romance for everybody. It works.

Edit: @ParrotWatcher, you thought thief! :stuck_out_tongue:

5 Likes

If what’s holding you back is that you’re concerned about writing LGBT+ romances in a way that feels false to us or offends readers, something you could do is get some LGBT+ people to beta-read it for you and let you know what feels right and what doesn’t (I’d be happy to do that if you’d like).

7 Likes

I thought of the same thing. But the idea of 2 man cuddling each other is so, alien to me :grimacing:
But since you guys said it, I think I shouldn’t be worried of that any longer :thumbsup:

@thatdodgymoggie: I’ve to finish the chapter1 before the Alpha rolls out :sunglasses:

1 Like

Well, cuddles are cuddles :slight_smile: as long as you know how to write cuddles, they’ll be just as cuddly whether it’s :two_men_holding_hands:, :two_women_holding_hands:, or :couple:.

9 Likes