Remnant: Twenty One (WIP) [April Announcement 4/11/2024] [Word Count: 225,948 Words!]

Yep yep, I hope you find what you’re looking for! :+1:

1 Like

This is just amazing like chef’s kiss.

I am so in love with it.

The short bio that you wrote about the game does no justice to how good the game is honestly.
The writing: amazing.
The characters development: amazing
I am so in love and fond of alter ego.
I literally screamed when the demo ended.
Thank you for this amazing wip​:two_hearts::two_hearts::two_hearts::two_hearts::two_hearts::smiling_face_with_three_hearts::smiling_face_with_three_hearts::smiling_face_with_three_hearts::smiling_face_with_three_hearts::smiling_face_with_three_hearts:
You deserve the world​:heart_eyes::heart_eyes::heart_eyes::two_hearts::two_hearts::two_hearts::two_hearts::two_hearts::heavy_heart_exclamation::heavy_heart_exclamation::heavy_heart_exclamation::heavy_heart_exclamation::heavy_heart_exclamation::smiling_face_with_three_hearts::smiling_face_with_three_hearts::smiling_face_with_three_hearts::smiling_face_with_three_hearts::smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

1 Like

In western media you may have better luck looking under the portal fantasy genre for works similar-ish to Japanese isekai works. It’s essentially the same genre as isekai (which is just the Japanese word for another/different world) just somewhat different executions due to differing literary styles.

Popular western works you may recognize under this genre include: the Narnia series, Alice in Wonderland, The Wonderful Wizard of Oz, and Peter Pan.

There is also the LitRPG genre which can have similar premises to the more game-like isekai’s (though not all LitRPG’s fall under the portal fantasy/isekai label). And depending on the story some of these may use the transmigration/reincarnation tropes similar to that of a Korean manhwa, I just don’t have any specific examples that I know of/remember currently xD.

Now, onto the thread’s actual topic!

Congrats on the update! Excited to read and catch up on it all.

1 Like

KonoSuba is like the best isekai. (ง’̀-'́)ง If you haven’t seen it, you should!

2 Likes

Yeah but those are kids works lmao.

Haha Konosuba is the bomb, funny af

3 Likes

Ooo maybe some time in the future, I’ll have to check it out!

I would have to agree that portal fantasy is the equivalent to isekai, also thank you! I hope you enjoy the update :grin:

Thank you so much for the kind words! I’m happy that you enjoyed the story and I’m glad that you like Alter Ego so much! Seems like the majority really like Alter Ego! I’m happy with the reception they’ve received. Also, I reread my the story’s synopsis after you mentioned it and maybe you’re right that readers have no idea what they’re in for. Though I like the idea of that mystery. I appreciate you taking the time to read my story and I’m ecstatic that you loved it!
joke-bear-dance

2 Likes

Just because it’s for kids doesn’t mean they aren’t the most easily recognizable examples for the genre lol. There’s plenty more of it for older demographics.

1 Like

May Update

Hello, everyone. It has been almost a week since the release of the new update. I hope you enjoyed that route with Uri, although it will probably bring up more questions than answers from it. The current plan now is to start writing the 4 variations of Chapter 7. Do not worry about the story branching out too much, the paths will eventually converge one way or another. It will be interesting in writing chapters with characters not alive.

But yeah, it’s quite exciting to see the upcoming Thursday chapter. It will be chill and give the characters a bit of time to process the events that happened within the past three days. I realized that MC goes through a lot, but you know that’s just the way it is .3.

The estimated word count for Thursday’s content will be well past 50k words. I’m still not over how when I first wrote this story I was so proud that I wrote 15k words. Now that’s basically the norm for me. It will be hard, but rewarding.

I am curious to hear about people’s thoughts on the new update, so if you have any, I’d like to hear them and how it compares to Sigma’s route. Thanks for reading this and have a good one.

19 Likes

End of May Update

So it turns out a lot of events happened on Wednesday and the implications of it may take a while for the characters to process it, so the word count for each variation may be well over 15k words. Yeah, it’s going to be rough. I believe a doable deadline for chapters 7ABCD to be done is by July. I did the math and if I write around 1000 words per day, and the expected word count will be at least 45k words, then it’ll at least take a month and a half to finish it. I already have around 14k words written, so I should be done with chapter 7A by the end of this month. I also have to write chapter 8 for the battle with Thursday’s Devil. Which will most likely be 20k+ words. Anyway, the best estimate for Thursday’s content will be in August. Thanks for reading.

15 Likes

Just finished the demo, it was pretty good but I got some criticisms of it.

The good:
Interesting Characters and Cast
Action packed
Lots of content, each chapter was pretty long and not too short unlike other authors
Unique Interesting story that isn’t a copy cat of the superhero genre or supernatural genre and a good take on the Isekai genre
Lots of unexplored backstory for the characters in the world
Anime inspired and pretty cool story overall
Not stat dependent, its mostly story dependent so you don’t have to figure out what numbers or stats you need to have

The bad:
Romance is very minimal right now so those looking for a good romance will be disappointed by it so far.

Simplistic Story, the story is basically kill weird demons which is basically it, not very complex or interesting as the plot progresses.

Over reliance on action, while there is some romance and some character development it is very little and minimal and the story is basically just constant anime action which is doable for an anime or an action video game but for a novel like story it gets old real quick.

MC is OP, this is a common issue in a lot of action anime stories but an OP MC take the thrill out of things and I never felt in danger, it felt like there were no stakes as I know that the MC can be stabbed and shot and regenerate in like 2 minutes.

Difficult to visualize, the scenes especially in the latest chapter with Anja can be very tough to visualize as its over the top, the location and scenery keeps changing, fight scenes can be hard to visualize and its hard to find a solid location inside my head on what to think

Extreme Linearity, the game is 100% very linear and your choices have zero impact on the story so far, even worse with an OP MC you basically always win every battle and since the story is 90% action that takes the thrill out of it, I know what to expect.

Interesting cast but boring MC, the MC is a regular college/work office job guy with no notable events in his life except 1 which isn’t that huge of a deal. Hell even in the story the character of Alter Ego notes that the MC’s life is so boring and laughable and that the real Chosen One has more trauma and difficulty against the Mist Demon (To be fair this is a common Isekai problem)

Slow pacing, whats the overall story so far? to kill demons. Why? because plot.

Who is the villain? We don’t know, just some demon king I think

Overall while I did enjoy the story its gotten kind of predictable especially from someone who is a watcher of anime and manhwa/manga. Furthermore it doesn’t offer any replay value as the story is linear action only and since its pretty long replaying it feels a bit like a chore. I like it but story wise its kind of average.

To be honest I think that this story being an Isekai doesn’t have any benefits to make gameplay and writing interesting, in fact it is a detriment since the original owner of the body seems to be more interesting in terms of character, backstory, trauma and influence.

1 Like

Darn. I was enjoying reading that.

1 Like

Woah! That’s a lot of feedback! First off, I want to thank you for reading my story, I really appreciate it and I appreciate you taking the time to give feedback.

Yeah, this one is a tough issue to address because of the circumstances of the story. Since the story takes place over a short period of time, it’s hard to write. Also, in the first three days, MC is usually in a dangerous situation a majority of the time, so any time to develop romance during those moments seems a bit inappropriate. Overall, a very tough hurdle.

Very noted, I think future chapters will have much less action and focus on characters more.

I’m curious did you get the scene where Anja lives or dies? The same thing can be said for Sigma. Although I would have to agree up until that point the story does go the same way. Mayhaps have to add more alternate scenes with character interactions.

If I gotta take one Isekai trope, it’s going to be a normal guy goes to hell world and is never the same again :sunglasses:

Alright, so after reading all of the feedback, once again, thank you for taking the time to read my story, I think for the story elements, all I can say is that the story is still in its early development stages, so we’re still cooking. I think what intrigues me the most is solving the linearity issue. The major path divergence occurs at the end of Chapter 5/6, which I realized if readers wanted to go there without saving states, they would have to restart from the beginning which is mostly the same.

There are ‘technically’ stat checks, but I didn’t make it too hard, where if the MC messes up it does cause an alternate scene in the future. But I think, what you mean is that readers would like a choice with immediate impact. That one is going to be tough to think about without affecting the pacing. Although, I am happy that people want more character interaction and development. The reason why initially it was so action-pack heavy was that I thought people would get bored if a majority of chapters were characters talking. Chapters 7ABCD will ease the action. Overall, thank you for the feedback! Especially one that is so long, I’m glad that you found the cast of characters interesting. Have a good one!
4af289af841371669232ead73ab65f6a

8 Likes

Yeah no problem I enjoyed the story overall.

Yeah character development and talking is a lot of times very beneficial to a story especially a text based story like IF fiction which are basically playable novels.

As for the choices thing I would say flavor text that is interesting and has no impact on story is a great way to spice up the story while choices that matter may include winning or losing a fight or being able to convince a character to do or not do something.

It doesn’t have to be wildly different as long as the story is interesting and exciting enough.

Bro this is an anime story, fanservice and inappropriateness is super common lol but as for the timeframe I get it just put in more flirting options?

I do have some questions for the romance interests?

1 - Why are all the Romance interests genderlocked? I think it would be interesting to have chooseable genders for the romance interests

2 - Is Anja’s sister a RO?

3 - Will there be a harem route? no anime story can be complete without a harem route where you romance all the girls xD

Overall keep up the great work

1 Like

Sorry if this has already been asked, is alter ego assimilation unfavorable for the PC?

1 Like

Ooo, I’ll probably try to have characters reference past dialogue the MC has spoken in the previous days.

Noted :+1:

I kept a majority of them gender locked, not for any particular reason. It just felt right to me that’s all.

5036-shrug

Maybe :robot:

That would be an interesting what-if scenario to write :thinking:

3 Likes

Technically yes, that stat will come up in Thursday’s content

2 Likes

I’m assuming the suspicion and alter ego assimilation stat will affect the endings and branch the story out?

1 Like

Hello everyone,
It’s been a while. Unfortunately, I had to take a break from Twenty-One for the sake of career stuff. Fortunately, a big project of mine for work should be done next week, which means I will have time to write more of the story. Basically, the goal for Thursday’s content is planned to be done before the end of summer. I received so many kind words about the update and I really appreciate all of it! Thanks for reading this and have a good one!
bear-dancing

15 Likes

End of June Update

So I finally finished Chapter 7A which is about 21k words, I know on my Tumblr I said it was around 19k words, but I ended up adding more things .3. Now it’s time for me to work on Chapter 7B, one of the ‘sadder’ timelines where Character A doesn’t make it out alive depending on the outcome in Chapters6 AB. Writing a variant chapter’s a little rough since it feels like I’m in a time loop. I want to get Chapter 7 and 8 done, so no update for the demo. Anyway, thanks for reading and I hope you have a good one.
jokebearsleep

23 Likes

Ughhh I just finish playing and I am still confuse about the illusions, did the mc kill they sibling because my mind was going up and down and I still didn’t understand that part

3 Likes