Question about adult stuff

I know there is an adult section you can apply to, but I do not intend to write full adult stories.
Basically I have a story on Wattpad which I’m having troubles to go on with and this site just feels like it would help me get motivated, I have barely touched any sort of coding before and I managed to make something looking like a combat system which I am proud of!

So, the story would take place in the medieval era (to be original /sarcasm) and despite the war oriented nature of the story line it has some lovey dovey parts.
Two scenes in particular worry me, the female MC in one of them has her chest exposed then joins a powerful man in his room, that part is only mentionned but the chest part in the story has a bit of details in it. The other scene is less explicit so if the other one makes it that one would too.

So basically my question is; how much is too much? If you can only judge with the actual text I will not post it in here to avoid troubles but could PM it to someone who can tell me if it’s a yay or a nay.

Hmm hmm. I believe this site’s adult section is dedicated to stories with “adult things” as its focus.

Besides, most CoG/HG stories have this lovey-dovey part (with certain degree of adultery) that I don’t think you’ll fit all of them into adult-only section.

1 Like

That does make sense, I am just worried since it seems to be a new section and new stories/games might be judged more harshly in that respect if that makes sense? I just want to make sure I won’t have to back track and rewrite 3 days worth of scenes! lol

If you are looking into publishing this piece, you need to consider the guidelines for the different marketplaces (Steam, Google, etc.)

However, if you are just looking for a creative outlet, you can have a choice at the beginning of the game (or where relevant) that sections out the mature content.

If the content is crucial to the story, then the forum will mandate that people under a certain age (I forgot the number) can’t comment on the forum.

The ChoiceScript community is once of the best in regards to fair judgment and constructive criticism. That said, if you don’t want to receive feedback, perhaps posting the story only isn’t the best option.

Oh no, I meant if I try to get it published it may get a rating I didn’t want as I would aim for the general public. I guess I could try to submit a demo when I’m at this stage and see what kind of answer I would get back.

Context, context, context. If you want to email me an excerpt (Rachel at choice of games) I can tell you, but without seeing it’s impossible to tell.

1 Like

I am struggling with a similar thing here.

I am aiming for my WIP to be suitable for a general audience, but I just got to a scene that is really, really not suitable for young readers. The scene is not essential to the story, but does show what was happening during this historical period, so I would rather not take it out as this would not do justice to what actually happened. I am trying to show the horrors of the slave trade but avoiding explicit scenes or glorifying violence, which I feel I have done until now.

What I was thinking to do is to have a choice in the beginning to have mature content and then write two different scenes. Would that solve the issue, or would that get me in trouble anyway when publishing?

Sorry if there is another thread explaining this, I could not find it.

Not a fan of bumping, but is there anyone who knows about this?

Or should I send an email?

Hi @lisamarlin , have you looked at the guidelines for posting adult content on this forum? It sounds like your WIP might belong there, if it has a scene that is definitely not for young readers.

https://forum.choiceofgames.com/g/adult_readers

For the Adult Readers category

At Choice of Games we know and appreciate that a good story sometimes includes mature themes and content, such as sex and violence. However we are also aware that some people do not wish to, or are unable to, read or view such content. As such, to participate in adult discussions you must make an account and opt in by joining this group.

Please read these rules before posting in adult discussions. These rules apply in addition to the rules for the entire the forum.

First, to be clear, we consider any explicit sex, rape, incest, sexual violence, violence against children or disabled people, torture, or sadistic violence to be mature content. Games which contain these or similar topics should only be posted in the Adult Content categories.

Second, if a game contains implicit sex (and is clearly marked), or contains a clear option to disable any explicit sex in game (and is clearly marked as such), and contains no other Adult Content, or a game is otherwise likely to generate discussion that belongs in the Adult Content category even if it itself does not otherwise belong in the Adult Content category, it is appropriate to make two threads for your game, one that is in the Adult Content category for explicit discussions, and one that is in the normal Work in Progress Category, making certain to link the two of them. (Note that all published games use this rule. If you wish to discuss explicit content in a published game but cannot find a thread about it already, feel free to make one yourself.)

Third, in addition to the above, moderators and forum Leaders may move discussions to these categories if the discussions contain any significant amount of mature content themselves, if they continually linger on discussing mature content, or if they otherwise believe it should be moved. (If your game WiP thread contains people making such posts, it would be prudent to make a second thread yourself as stated above before your thread is moved.)

Note that the adult categories are for discussion about adult content related to Choice of Games—including Heart’s Choice and Hosted Games—interactive fiction, adult writing, and other discussions that are on topic in the forum, but that may not be suitable for all users. The Adult Content categories are not a place to post off-topic adult content.

Discussion about adult content should also be done with the knowledge that our forum is dedicated to creating a positive environment for everyone, and as such you should be courteous not to include any actual explicit content in a post without warning. Even in discussing adult content, we remain a Feminist, Egalitarian, Sex-Positive company. Remember to keep your posts respectful and friendly.

As in the main forum, we reserve the right to censor any objectionable posts and close or remove any thread for any reason. Do not post any deeply offensive material (including games) such as scenes that glorify sexual violence, pedophilia, or racist attitudes. If you believe any such content is on the forum, flag it, or contact the @moderators.

Please make sure to read the forum FAQ and Terms of Service.

Here is also a wonderful breakdown of options by @rose-court for WIPs with adult content:

https://forum.choiceofgames.com/t/visibility-options-for-adult-content-wips/93506

Finally, there are other threads on this if you type in “adult” in the search bar–you may have to be a part of the adult readers group to access those threads, though.

Generally, no one here can give you the green light on adult/mature content when it comes to actual publication by Hosted Games or Choice of Games, at least not at this point in time. I’m not totally sure that sending an email would be all that efficient, since I don’t believe that the staff has the spoons to go over and “green light” content that either hasn’t been written yet or hasn’t been submitted for publication; otherwise, they would be inundated with requests to “review” WIPs that may never be completed or finished in the first place, or make calls on content that depends heavily on larger context, etc…

Generally, I think the idea is to just write what you’re planning to write, and upon submission to the publication queue, staff will advise on whether something needs to be changed or tweaked. (I’ve never heard of a game being wholesale rejected on the basis of its adult content, unless the author themselves refused to make the suggested changes to make it suitable for publication.)

The threads above can advise on whether you can host your story on this forum, but they can’t give you the hard “yes/no this will/won’t be published” you might be looking for. Without knowing exactly what the content in question is, I don’t think I can say whether or not if two different scenes are okay or not, but generally, adult content that can be isolated and toggled on/off has worked so far. However, it really depends on a case-by-case basis. Hopefully the guidelines will help clarify things for you!

8 Likes