Content allowed when writing romance

Okay so I am writing a love making scene between the MC and his love interest and of course I want to be as vague and discreet as possible so my question is what is acceptable to write? like how detailed are the authors allowed to be before potentially getting told off.

This will also help me with future scenes so I know where to draw the line

1 Like

Are you looking for specifics (e.g. whether certain phrases are acceptable) or do you mean in general?

Fade-to-blacks are always a safe bet, if your goal is to be as “vague and discreet as possible.” Just insinuate something of the sort is about to happen (e.g. “the LI leads the MC to the bedroom”), then time-skip to the next morning or smth.

Maybe the better question is, how explicit were you hoping to get?

2 Likes

If you were looking for examples of published sex scenes that arent super vague, Heart of the House has one for each RO as does Magician’s Burden. Wayhaven Book 2 has one for 1 RO as does The Soul Stone War. I believe Werewolves Havens Rising has them…these arent the standard fade to black scenes that I can think of off the top of my head. oh also Jazz Age and All.World Pro Wrestling are pretty explicit

8 Likes

Just in general, maybe to give the reader some idea of what’s actually going on so if during a fight scene if I just fade to black or be too vague then it would lead to confusion.

in that sense I would like to provide some detail but I don’t want to go overboard

There have been discussions about this topic before but only Adult Readers can view them (which I’m retroactively realizing is a bit of a problem in itself if others can’t see these discussions):

https://forum.choiceofgames.com/t/about-violence-and-sex/52296?u=the_black_reaper

https://forum.choiceofgames.com/t/explicit-sex-scenes/39953?u=the_black_reaper

Some excepts from the threads in case you can’t view them:

Other published authors have written explicit sexual content before. You could ask @GreekWinter if you’re curious.

Your biggest hurdle when publishing mature/explicit content will be the app stores (i.e. Apple in particular). You can ask @MichaelMaxwell what hurdles he had to face when publishing his story on the Apple App Store.

14 Likes

So in other words, as long as there is a warning and it is not too obviously explicit you still can get published with some mature contents in your hosted game???.. I do remember readers mentioning the sex scene with M in TWC.

2 Likes

Basically yes. I would check with the publishing staff of CoG to make sure if you have any specific questions regarding the content in your game.

6 Likes

Thanks

I can’t speak to how explicit you can get when it comes to publishing your Hosted Game–speaking to the staff is the best and most efficient way to find that out, as well as using previously-published games as a good guidepost–but here are the rules for what adult content gets marked as explicit here on the forum, necessitating a separate “Adult Content” thread for your WIP. This could be a useful benchmark for writing your content:

Content warning: discussion of Adult Content and all that it entails therein

First, to be clear, we consider any explicit sex, rape, incest, sexual violence, violence against children or disabled people, torture, or sadistic violence to be mature content. Games which contain these or similar topics should only be posted in the Adult Content categories.

Second, if a game contains implicit sex (and is clearly marked), or contains a clear option to disable any explicit sex in game (and is clearly marked as such), and contains no other Adult Content, or a game is otherwise likely to generate discussion that belongs in the Adult Content category even if it itself does not otherwise belong in the Adult Content category, it is appropriate to make two threads for your game, one that is in the Adult Content category for explicit discussions, and one that is in the normal Work in Progress Category, making certain to link the two of them. (Note that all published games use this rule. If you wish to discuss explicit content in a published game but cannot find a thread about it already, feel free to make one yourself.)

As in the main forum, we reserve the right to censor any objectionable posts and close or remove any thread for any reason. Do not post any deeply offensive material (including games) such as scenes that glorify sexual violence, pedophilia, or racist attitudes. If you believe any such content is on the forum, flag it, or contact the @moderators.

Found in the Adult Readers group description.

5 Likes

So the thing is, whenever I do write something, there has to be n*ked, sweaty scenes. Not having smut in books that I write is like having ceral without milk… So I was wondering, (overthinking) if explicit content is alright. I know there’s an adult section but how explicit can we get? Because I already finished the prologue (not coded as yet)and well… It’s very um… Visual. Clears throat knowing myself there’ll be lots of those scene…

Oh excuse my manners. Good morning/evening/night.

I moved your post here as the links posted in this thread will be useful reference points on this topic. In particular once you have a demo up, it will need to be posted in the Adult Readers section if it has explicit content.

1 Like

Thank you. :hugs:

1 Like