Psy High 2: High Summer -- BETA TESTERS NEEDED

A little over a year since your junior prom, you’ve graduated from high school and taken a job as a counselor at a summer camp before starting college in the fall. But mystery seems to follow you everywhere, and when you begin to suspect that something’s afoot at the camp, you simply can’t let it go. Dust off your clairvoyance, call up your sweetheart, and keep your campers entertained while you try to get to the bottom the secrets of Camp Cedarcrest!

The long-awaited sequel to Psy High is almost here!

Email me, jason AT choiceofgames for access. DO NOT SEND ME A MESSAGE THROUGH THE FORUM MAIL SYSTEM. When you send your EMAIL, include your forum-name, your real name, and the game you want to test.

DO NOT POST ASKING WHAT MY EMAIL ADDRESS IS. The first test to becoming a beta tester is inferring what it is based on the above paragraph.

(You cannot be testing two games at once. Send feedback on one and you can apply to another.)

I will send you a link, a username, and a password.

Return feedback TO ME. Preferably part of the same thread, rather than a new email.

I’m looking for “high level” and “low level” feedback. Not mid-level feedback.

Low-level = typos and continuity errors. A continuity error is when a character’s gender flips, or someone comes back from the dead, or you run into a plotline that just doesn’t make sense (because it’s probably a coding error).

For these low-level issues, SCREENSHOTS are VERY HELPFUL. If you see a problem, take a screenshot, or copy and paste the text that is in error, and email that. Also, the “BUG” button is great; but if you use BUG, make sure to say in your email who you are, so I can give you credit for the report.

“High level” feedback has to do with things like plot, pacing, and characters. “Scene A didn’t work for me because x, y, and z,” is useful feedback. “B character was entirely unsympathetic, because u, w, and v,” is also useful feedback.

“Mid-level” feedback describes things like grammar, style, or the use of commas. As I said above, I do not want mid-level feedback. In particular, DO NOT WRITE TO ME ABOUT COMMAS.

“I had a great time and saw only a few spelling errors,” is not useful feedback. In fact, it’s the sort of thing that results in you not being given access to future betas.

Some examples of useful feedback:

In Choice of the Dragon, you get to choose what type of wings you have: leather or scaled. Someone wrote in and asked about having feathered wings. Great suggestion! Done!

In “The Eagle’s Heir,” someone asked about Eugenie. They said that the romance moved too quickly–because she only appeared in the last third of the game–and wished they could have had an opportunity to meet her earlier. So the authors added an opportunity to meet her and start the romance earlier in the game (in a scene that already existed).

In “Demon Mark: A Russian Saga” several people commented on how the PC’s parents were unsympathetic, so the authors added a choice or two to deepen the relationship with the parents in the first chapter, to help better establish their characters.

Similarly, pointing out a specific choice and saying, “this is who I imagined my character was at this particular moment, and none of these options seemed right for me. I would have liked an option to do X instead,” is really helpful feedback.

Another useful piece of feedback: if you choose an #option and then the results of that #option don’t make sense. Like, if you thought an #option might test one stat, but it seems to have tested a different one.

31 Likes

Awesome, can’t wait for it. But how are you guys gonna write around the ending where Mc becoming essentially omniscient if he absorbed all the magic? I feel like that could solve any problem pretty easily.

3 Likes

My time has arrived.

9 Likes

Not all routes through PH1 can continue into PH2.

2 Likes

Wait, does that mean that the MC won’t retain all the power they may have absorbed from the Vinculum at the end of the first game?

1 Like

You’ll have to play and find out.

4 Likes

When it says “call up your sweetheart”, does this mean that whomever you were in a relationship with in the first game will play into the story of the second one?

As a matter of fact, if you don’t mind me asking, how many of the characters from the original return? I’m looking forward to new characters, but I’m not sure that I want to forget about all of our closest friends from before.

Yes

2 Likes

Excellent, thank you. How long is your time period for beta testing of Psy High 2? I am interested in beta testing this game, however I have a few things to finish up first, and I was just wondering if I’d still have time to do it.

I’m not the author lol.

Lol! Yeah, I know! But I was just wondering if you knew of any deadline of sorts, if there is one.

That something you’d have to ask @jasonstevanhill, but Beta testing seems to go on for a few weeks. Not sure when the deadline for applying is though.

The Beta runs until CoG staff and the writer feel they received enough feedback … updates and new openings will be announced in this thread and once it is closed and locked, the testing will end… Jason will announce it when he closes the thread.

If you join the beta, the goal is to test and send in feedback each time there is an update and you find something to give feedback on.

4 Likes

Thank you for the information. I’m new to beta testing and I’m just trying to get my head around how it all works before I try it myself.

1 Like

I only want Mackenzie to be an ro this time.

1 Like

This thread should only be used to convey info about the beta – send in feedback as per the instructions.

Let’s keep this thread clean.

9 Likes

The save-game and restore-game functions have been fixed!

Thanks to everyone who has sent in feedback so far. Revisions are underway and there will be a new draft later this week.

5 Likes