Pros and cons of different time frames in stories

Every day – I have projects that cover the spectrum, although I am finding I enjoy the micro-scoped games more than most macro-scoped. Unless it is a series. In which I can enjoy the macro as much or even more.

Yes - before I begin a project, the relationship between stats and scope have to be worked out.

Yes - too many to make a concise list of but I’d be willing to take a deep dive any any one that you wish to discuss.

This is my opinion based on the last sample I played:

I’ve always thought you should structure the scope around a “main case” … like a Perry Mason episode.

The trouble with the mechanics you are choosing is that they are all negative (drain) stats, designed to reduce the utility experienced by the gamer.

Instead, I’d suggest focusing on things that these negatives affect: Health, Sanity, Temper, Love/Friendship with signifigant others/family/colleagues.

You should add positive stats like: Pizza/Chinese delivery, power-naps, drugs(?) pep-talks, etc that will give what the negatives take into your pool of mechanical stats.

It depends - some topics are more tuned to an intense shorter scope while others may benefit from an examination over a long period of time. Some can be seen and examined from either or both scopes. (eg Abuse)

Most authors that make Choice Script games with a non-gaming background do not really understand mechanics. @HannahPS is making a concerted effort at expanding her use … perhaps her thread would be helpful to you as well

It depends. I’ve seen professional level athletes that can peak their performance at specific times, like a marathon runner or decathlon athlete … I’ve seen baseball players that can focus their strength in a swing and let it ebb during the next at-bat when being intentionally walked ///

My approach with my projects is to determine my time frame for the story before anything else.

3 Likes