Professional Opinions: Things that drive you crazy in media

OMG this would be so funny!

There are so many stuff wrong about psychology and therapy.

First of all, we don’t make people seat in divan (we’re not Freud), usually there are simple couchs and the patient seats the way they’re more comfortable about it.

Being psychologists doesn’t mean you’re eccentric, weird and have untidy and messy appeareance, we’re just people (?)

We can’t diagnose ANYTHING the first time we see a person, just like doctors may need to do several tests before they say for sure that someone has X disease, a psychologist needs several sessions to diagnose a mental disorder.

No, people with mental disorder aren’t violent, in fact, they’re more prone to being mistreated.

And so much more stuff, but I woukd be here until tomorrow and I have to sleep lol

12 Likes

Actually happens on occasion, at least around here, due to austerity for “minor” things these days. The wonders of low police pay and the neoliberal focus on cutting every state service.

Just depict them as the idle rich then, of course that is an explanation most often disfavoured by the financiers of Hollywood. That doesn’t make it any less true though, a lot of the gay elite club kids in Amsterdam and other parts of the EU are this and simply don’t ever need to work due to steadily accumulating inherited wealth. Fun fact, president Trump would have been much richer if he had never done anything but let his inherited wealth be competently managed and steadily accumulate.

Many of them do have a degree, just in case but they don’t really do anything with it except keep up their skills in sinecure foundation jobs.

Not to mention their increasing influence and corrosive effects of their money on politics and civil society.

Yes, law enforcement on the basic level, that is the cop on the streets and often the lower ranking prosecutors certainly do. Their bosses and the top judges on the other hand tend to come from those classes, which is inter alia why there is such a discrepancy in sentencing.
And then there is my profession which by its nature functions as a check on the power the prosecution and makes sure they actually follow the law, instead of being able to do what the cop and prosecutor shows depict them as (capable of) doing and getting away with more often than not, which is acting like mini tyrants.
Of course there is the fact that while most of us will try to give any client the best defense we possibly can filthy rich folks can hire more of us to work together in a team and give us more access to resources, including time, to do our jobs well. Which, unfortunately, is another source of discrepancy.

Unfortunately this very rarely happens as there is house arrest and vacation camp prisons for the wealthy and money is never useless even in prison. And you’re much more likely to get ankle bracelet monitored house arrest for sentences up to 2 years (soon to be extended to 4 or even 5) if you happen to dwell in a mansion with servants as opposed to a crumbling tenement. :unamused:

Which brings me to one of my pet peeves I simply cannot enjoy most cop, lawyer or attorney shows and I’m not even an American jurist (America still being the setting of most of them).
Better Call Saul being the recent exception to the trend.

3 Likes

Your points are valid. People get used to the idea that their is no real danger to their community so they develop a very dangerous “Won’t ever happen to me” sentiment. It’s a sign of complacency which can be equally dangerous as the “Small Town boredom” tendencies, which is also a very real thing to happen. Whatever job you’re doing, yes, you should feel safe. Other people also need to feel safe and lives depend on police being ready to act if need be which becomes a problem if they feel too content of avoiding or overzealous for action. Still, there’s also many times where you will see a downright stingy use of police resources. There’s a known killer with a body count(In one game known for killing first responders) but they refuse to call in swat under any circumstances or so much as a second car.

It’s also true that not everyone gets punished in the ways we would prefer them too. Alternately, this might just be from what I’ve seen so it’s not a completely accurate assessment, there’s a good number of people who grossly overestimate how important or influential they are.

One thing I forgot to add to my initial post though…“You’re a loose cannon but by god, you get the job done.” Nononono. Most professional organizations really, really don’t like the renegade cop who plays by their own rules. That’s a great way to get cases thrown out, the department sued and possibly brought up on charges.

If anyone has played Heavy Rain(Overall entertaining game, glaring plotholes aside), then lieutenant Blake is actually an excellent example of how he thinks he is doing what he needs to in order to get the job done, but in actuality, he’s just a huge asshole who endangers people for no reason. They don’t portray his actions as in anyway beneficial and he damages the investigation way more than he helps.

Despite popular belief, their is actual merit to the By-The-Book approach. I don’t even mean in a moral sense. I mean in an efficiency to success manner. For one thing, just because you can use force, doesn’t mean you should. You never know who you might need to question again in the future and being on your contacts good side is far more useful than them being unwilling to say anything. Two, there is always someone bigger and stronger and a better fighter and once someone has a reputation for getting rough, there are those who will take it as a challenge . Three, you will find it really difficult for a judge to watch someone search a building without a warrant and say “You’re a good cop. Don’t let anyone tell you otherwise.”

If you want to bring down bad guys, the only way you will really get an opportunity to do it(At least in my part of the world) is if you follow the procedure and order to do it.

2 Likes

None, mainly because archivists generally aren’t portrayed very often in media. Or at least not in any major way. At best you might see some character actor bringing the protagonist a box of stuff or putting a box of stuff away on shelves. (Granted that’s part of the job)

Probably the best example I can remember is Rollerball where one of the archivists was helping James Caan locate something from the past and he’s going on about how computers contain all the information, but laments about how a technological failure just lost them the whole 13th century and there was no back up.

Can pretty much identify with that since there’s a lot of information only on certain mediums and if you don’t have the old computer/tape player/projector/etc to play it you can’t access it and if it isn’t preserved properly, it’s gone forever. Archivists tend to be doing a lot of preservation along with deciding what’s important and what isn’t. (Just not enough space to keep it all)

Librarians (Who archivists often get interchanged with a lot) get portrayed a bit more in media though usually as old ladies going “SHHHH!”, “Sexy” librarians who suddenly become super models when they take the hair bun out or Noah Wyle.

8 Likes

We were watching “Live and Let Die” the other day (horrendous film) and I began to realise I really hate the depiction of the Arcana and tarot reading in most modern media.

For example, “The Lovers” doesn’t mean lovers, it means choice and the aftermath of choice, blissful ignorance versus knowledge or truth that changes the way you see the world: innocence lost. “Death” means inescapable change, the ending of something but also personal transformation and growth.

5 Likes

other than Charmed and Harry Potter I hate how witches are portrayed as evil and worshippers of the devil. I mean I know some are like that but not all. some are good and love god or are pagan and stuff. no I am not a witch I just hate it when people think just because someone is a witch they must be evil or that when you are wiccan you are a witch. Wiccans don’t have to be a witch or pagan. They just care about the Earth. I mean Charmed and Harry Potter shows that witches can be good or evil.

4 Likes

I think that the modern idea of a witch doesn’t have much to do with wiccans and it is just a term applicable to any magical woman. Yet again, I guess than the original concept of witchcraft has been distorted over the years due to witch hunts and the portrayal of witches in fairy tales and such. I would also say that thanks to works like Wicked, the figure of the witch has become a little bit more complex, with motivations, backstory…

2 Likes

It drives me a little batty when–in movies or TV shows–someone has a complaint about a professor, but it’s futile because “they have tenure!” This ranges from extreme crimes like sexual harassment and dealing drugs to assigning loads of impossible homework and forcing students to go to unreasonable lengths for their grades.

This propagates the idea that “tenure” is some sort of bullet-proof, fire-proof shield that allows a professor carte blanche; like the impression is they could literally murder a student and they wouldn’t get fired because they have tenure?

But tenure just means a lifetime contract where the faculty member doesn’t have to be reappointed every year to keep their position. It doesn’t protect them from being fired by the university for just cause: negligence, incompetency, immoral conduct, or just not having the money to pay them anymore are all common reasons to fire a tenured professor. And they do get fired or let go. So I don’t really like that media portrays horrible educators as mysteriously immune to consequence; although we have our slew of problems in the academic institutional sphere, it just feels inaccurate and breeds a sense of helplessness among students who may think there’s nothing they can do when a tenured professor abuses their power.

About editing: Hollywood’s depiction of the editing and publishing industry is hilarious to me. It’s a case of “everyone thinks they know what we do, even though they don’t have a clue,” and leads to a lot of films saying what amounts to gibberish about the industry. Editors somehow have publicists; publishing houses sell books to other publishing houses; authors somehow take their editors with them when they switch publishers…

And that’s not to forget the glamorizing that Hollywood does of all industries. If you were to watch a movie or show where someone works as a book editor, you’d think they were Meryl Streep in the Devil Wears Prada; strolling in with a Starbucks in hand, rapping out, “We’re on a tight launch for this fall so I need that cover art on my desk now!” and getting invited to the Oscars while a starry-eyed junior copy editor tries to “snag a best-seller” with an author so they can rise in the ranks…

In reality it’s just a bunch of nerds cramped in a tiny office overflowing with stacks of paper, arguing furiously about the opening sentence of a manuscript and cleaning their dirty glasses of their tears every hour or so…

8 Likes

Honestly sounds like the dream right there.

1 Like

Hospitals, Health, and Disability:

When someone’s been in a coma for an extended period of time and they wake up and they’re somehow in perfect physical condition. Like muscular atrophy doesn’t exist. I had the biggest laugh when on the first episode of Walking Dead, Rick, after presumably weeks of being comatose, wakes up and immediately gets on a freaking bicycle and pedals away.
Other nitpicks about that scene: that hospital’s been abandoned for at least a week (the flowers are completely dead) so Rick should also be severally dehydrated (if not dead), probably have an infection and/or blood clot from that IV he casually removes, and likely some bed sores. But no, bike away from the abandoned hospital coma. (Also he’d have an indwelling urinary catheter put in. Why does television never show the pee bag?)

When a long time wheelchair user (example: Professor Xavier) is shown using one of those crappy hospital wheelchairs with bulky plastic frames with no padding. Also when they don’t push themselves for no discernible reason.

9 Likes

Xavier’s rich as heck and has the ability to compel others to do his bidding through mental might alone. The real question isn’t why he isn’t pushing his own wheelchair, it’s why he doesn’t also have folks mowing his lawn, pouring his juice and buffing his chromedome to a mirror sheen.

6 Likes

My point exactly! He has the resources to build THE DANGER ROOM but not a decent wheelchair!? He’s either shown with an extremely outdated bulky wheelchair (sometime even with a blanket over his lap. I want to cry whenever I see the blanket.) or with some sort of futuristic hovering chair that he for sure doesn’t need.Why can’t the man have a nice sleek titanium chair that’s actually from this decade?

xavier00
WHY?

6 Likes

Romantic plots when 2 characters spend nearly 5 minutes together of screen time, talk few sentences and whoosh they are kissing like madmen and swear eternal love to each other. Every third movie or show has such magnificent romantic plots.

1 Like

Maybe he likes the aesthetic?

2 Likes

Well, I wouldn’t say this “drives me crazy” but it’s something that I can notice once in a while that most people take for granted. I’m talking about fonts, typography. I understand that most people wouldn’t care for such things, I wouldn’t if it wasn’t for the fact that I had to study the history of typefaces. However, now I find distracting when I see something like a movie taking place in the XVI century using something like Helvetica or Times New Roman.

And believe me, I would rather not notice that, I don’t want to be the kind of pedantic idiot that goes “Ha, that typeface wasn’t invented yet. This movie is completely inaccurate and cannot justify the use of that Font Ex Machina. DING.” It’s something that can become a little distracting once you learn about this stuff.
And sometimes it’s justifiable, a lot of fonts are evocative of certain time periods and places even’t when they don’t belong to them.

7 Likes

I’ve been reading this post the last days and all the time wanted to write something about that too, what annoys me. But then I realized, that this is really negative. I can understand that it annoys someone if the own field is misrepresented in general media. But there is one thing we should not forget. Authors are only people and can we really expect them to research every aspect of their game or book or film beforehand? That might be a thing an AAA project should use, but the smaller projects are there to make money or fulfil a dream, when every author had to research every thing they want to use in a book by themselves, many stories would never be told.
Of course you should research the main ponits of your story, if I make a Story placed in stoneage europe, of course I should research. But is it so wrong, to take minor parts from the view society has about them? Of course that are cliches, but they exist for a reason, because everyone knows them and therefore knows what might be expected.
Wouldn’t it be better to offer help, at least here in the forum, where we might reach someone who would be happy to have someone to ask questions. So I start a new thing in this thread.

I have studies archeology in the Levante and europe mainly, so I am open to answer questions regarding that field. If you want to know how and when an exvacation is build, at least in Europe I can help you. just PM me.

8 Likes

Well, I kinda agree with you.
I personally think that there is nothing wrong or unhealthy with indulging in the fun of nitpicking minor details in a story. That is, as long as we keep in mind that this is for fun and not take it as valid criticism. However, I wouldn’t say that your concern isn’t valid due to the fact that, indeed, a lot of people conflate picking on minor details with valid criticism.

Personally, I haven’t particularly enjoyed a recent trend of popular videos that follow the format of “[Insert profession] reacts to [Insert media depiction of said profession]” as a mean to judge the quality or validity of media, because I think that it is quite pointless and dismissive of the actual content of said media. And I think that there cannot be denial of the fact that this over fixation in this nitpicking has had an overall negative effect on our culture and the way that we consume media. It seems that we are training a new generation of readers to criticise content through an overly shallow lens that places value on mechanical precision, accuracy and logic over more important things, such as themes, characterizations or emotional resonance.

That doesn’t mean that there isn’t any value on this endeavor either, as inaccurate depictions of historical events and professions can also have negative effects on the way that consumers perceive the world around them. I don’t think that my concern about typography really matters at the end, but I know that some people have unrealistic ideas about how the police, the law and other important systems function due to the way that they see these professions are portrayed in media.

Inaccuracy can also have harmful effects in the way that certain marginalized groups are view in society. Mental health, for example, is usually misrepresented and this perpetuates the stigmatization and prejudices that we place over people that suffer from mental illness.

And let’s not forget about a paradox about how, in the name of historical accuracy, we often take as valid inaccurate depictions of history that aren’t really true, but we tend to think that they are true because that is what we were used to see in the media. A common example, the complaints about the diversity in historical settings because we often have a false idea about how homogeneous society used to be at certain points.

So in conclusion, I don’t even know anymore…

5 Likes

Sometimes a thread to vent is o.k.

After a bit, we, as a community, will realize we are venting and we can then offer positive feedback, as @Kaelyn did a couple of posts above.

As long as a discussion thread is advancing and not turning into sniping or circular arguments, I am ok with leaving it alone for the most part.

5 Likes

My field is all things Russian :ru:

For me it ranges from hilarious to super annoying, and this meme sums it up

So according to the pic of his passport his name in Russian is Лштшфум Ашьф, and in English it appears as Foma Kiniaev. But the Russian is complete gibberish.

Translation of meme:
“Lshtshfum Ash’f??? Wtf? Were your parents drug addicts?”

People are also really fond of using я as a fancy r, ш as w, д as a. It can get really dumb :roll_eyes:

19 Likes