Polls about COG, HG, and IF games

I write in order because I’m afraid if I don’t I’ll lose track of choices and variables. But admittedly I haven’t tried writing non-consecutively so I don’t know if that would actually be an issue writing that way. :man_shrugging:

7 Likes

I write non consecutively, because that’s how the story forms in my head. If I wouldn’t, I’d have forgotten most if what’s supposed to happen when I get to the point it’s supposed to happen. Plus it helps me to form the plot.

2 Likes

It depends. When I have the strong urge to write a specific scene, I write it. I end up putting a lot of *comment. But I mostly write in order.

5 Likes

Well, I always start with chapter one to establish the basics, but beyond that I prefer bouncing around, and just recording each idea as it hits me. Then I’ll go back later and patch them all together into a proper framework.

3 Likes

I write in consecutive order until I get stuck somewhere, and then I start writing a different scene that appeals to me more until I get stuck again and return to the first scene.

3 Likes

Generally I’ll write an entire path in consecutive order and go back and write the other paths the same way. It’s just easier for me to keep track of everything that way.

Though if I already have an idea in mind that takes place out of order (Like already knowing the ending) I’ll just have it written in my notes to use when I finally get to the point where it needs to be in the story.

3 Likes

This poll is misleading, in a way, It doesn’t include people that do both. Also prefer is not the correct term, at least for me, I don’t prefer anything as I vary depending on the inspiration or the game I am working on.

Now I am working on a game when I am doing scenes not in order, because I am preparing structures for game code before the rest of scenes to keep a uniform style and have all that out the way as fast as possible.

2 Likes

I purposefully left that option out because I wanted to see what people primarily use between the two. They can still leave a comment though if they’re gonna use both as an addendum though! :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I love this, because I myself am a non-chronological/bounce around thinker, but my co-author is very much chronological ONLY. It is fascinating to see how our styles are so different, but I think in our case they really complement each other. I really don’t think either of us could make much progress if forced to do it the other way around, since that is just how our brains form and follow a story. I’m sure there are people out there who can do both, and hats off. In my experience, we are both very black and white set in this.

4 Likes

I write mostly chronologically but occasionally, when I feel the need, I will write a scene I haven’t got to yet. I have a separate document where I store those scenes and scenarios. Most of the time, when I get to that part of the story, I will end up rewriting them because either circumstances have changed, or the tone doesn’t quite work. Occasionally though, I can copy paste it into the story proper. That’s a good feeling.

4 Likes

When it comes to storyboarding and choice branches, I do these consecutively using pencil and paper. However, when it comes to writing my story in C-side, I tend to bounce around quite a bit; Essentially, wherever the muses takes me, I follow.

2 Likes

Seeing this poll fills me with DETERMINATION! (sorry, I am a huge Undertale fan)

3 Likes

Despite my vote, I don’t feel that strongly one way or another about achievements. I don’t regularly look to complete all the achievements. They can be fun easter eggs and that’s pretty much my opinion. I don’t really care if an author has 10 or 100 of them littered throughout their story.

13 Likes

need the 4th option, so can’t vote. Just because one doesn’t care for achievement it means automatically they hate them. I don’t care for them, have them…don’t have them, aint bother me, and barely notice them. Sure, I see a pop-up here and now but that’s about it.

So yeah, 4) Don’t have any interest in Achievement, therefore the decision is up to the writer since their existence or lack of won’t matter to me.

8 Likes

I would vote “I really don’t care” if I had the option.

6 Likes

To be honest, I rarely ever look at the Achievements screen. The only times I look at the achievement screen is to check what the pop up notification said if I get an achievement and wasn’t paying close attention to what it was about.

7 Likes

Repetition for sure, to confirm I picked the choice I was after. Too many times my finger has done the thing and accidentally locked in a choice as I was scrolling. Cue me going “shit” and restarting to make sure

7 Likes

To me, achievements are more of a guideline to story paths that I have yet to tread. If they are interesting enough I would totally try to get them.

Weirdly enough, I care more about how many total points getting all the achievements nets me. I will be irked if it didn’t adds up to an even 1000 or other aesthetically-pleasing numbers like it. I know it never matters outside of the game, but that’s not how my brain is wired, unfortunately :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

5 Likes

Here’s the UPDATED poll about achievements. :slight_smile: Sorry if I missed an important option. I hope it’s okay now. Please take a moment to vote again, and sorry for the inconvenience.

UPDATED achievements poll
  • I love achievements, and I want a lot of them.
  • I like achievements, but I’d like only a few of them.
  • I really don’t care about achievements.
  • I don’t like achievements.

0 voters

4 Likes

Steam Achievementa are a large deciding factor in determining whether or not I buy a game.

I also trend towards only leaving positive reviews for games that I’ve completed a good chunk of the Achievements for.

I have a lot of CG/HG titles on my account, but I’ve only completed all the Achievements for Choice of Robots, and Choice of the Deathless, and I currently only have the one review posted up for Choice of Robots.

2 Likes