Party with Variable Hero? Dice rolling?

Hi! Are you sure about that? This would mean that the engine refreshes the passage each time you leave the stats page… but I’ve found out that the opposite is true with my experiments in variable changes within stats screen… (Arrays and loops and choices, oh my!) When I change a variable in stats (say, change an item from “carried” to “equipped”) and then return to the game proper, the variable does not update until I move to the next passage.

I must say that this is very confusing to me… It is almost as if the engine is behaving in two radically different ways at exactly the wrong moments…

Oh, and to Kuroyama - I had a very similar idea a while back (also 4 characters!) but some other projects got in the way, as they usually do. It sounds very, very interesting - you could make it a Rashomon story (excellent movie btw) where one event is presented as completely different depending on who the observer is. This could perhaps be a solution to the problem of exponential complexity that Jacic is warning you about. If you construct your story to be fairly linear and then make it so that each chapter can be played through the eyes of a different character… well I can see a huge potential for replayability right there.

Also, I’d advise you to write your first draft from the perspective of one character or change characters automatically from chapter to chapter. Only once you’ve got the plot firmly in place you should add option at the beginnings of chapters to change the POV. This might help keep complexity manageable and yet retain the cool feature of changing POV as the story progresses.

Good luck and have fun!