Only good for one play

Most of these are only good for one play, you already know the main story ling and can change very little
the price should be lower, but I love all the ones I have done but the dragon game( bad spelling I know, I have NF wich makes it hard to spell

I disagree that they are only good for one play; and proportionate to the work that goes into them, they’re quite cheap.

1 Like

I don’t see how these are only good for one play, want a different story? go back and choose to be a different gender with a different personality change it up don’t make it the same story.

they are the price of a sandwich and/or a cup of coffee which lasts for what 10 minutes,whereas these games can last for hours and you can replay them as a different gender and with a different personality, which @RAGE has all ready pointed out so there for are imo worth more to me then the sandwich or coffee.

@lexlexx Where do you buy your sandwiches?! They’re as expensive as hell at my College, drinks too.

@Plok
I have to disagree on your point though, CoG games are hardly overpriced… You should try making your own before go saying things like that :confused:

CoG games cost between £2-£3 in Britain/The United Kingdom, and you get about… I don’t know 1-2 hours for a single playthrough? The cinema (movies) or any other kind of hourly/bi-hourly form of entertainment is £8-£10 (and over), and believe it or not, they could be considered “only good for one watch”, much more so than CoG games anyhow.

@CJW i buy my sandwiches from a CO-OP near me and they are ÂŁ1.20ish and where i my buy my coffee (if i feel that i need it) is from my college which is ÂŁ1.90 so choice games are cheaper then both for me :slight_smile:

@Plok I must disagree with you in favor of the others who have posted. These games are absolutely good for more than one play. I have played Choice of the Dragon about a dozen times, Romance about ten, Way Walkers… many, MANY times, and the list goes on. There is always a reason to go back and play again. For example, I played through Broadsides recently again just for the purpose of finding a different way to die other than the other ways I had in the past. It’s fun to find all the different endings!

there are for more than a play the good ones basically the hosted games 'are really better than the oficial ones .the latest Still fair price but except older ones are really losting quality each moment the last one its so buggy that have to be patch the first day without exit with stats that go backwards

I have no idea what you are thinking. I usually have at least 5 playthroughs with any choice games that I download. I mean, Aren’t you curious as to what might happen if you picked a different choice? Or Just reading the writing because you enjoy it? If you don’t enjoy the games then why download them in the first place?

The problem is, the results we obtain from choicescript games aren’t proportionate to the effort we put into them.

@Wyrmspawn Are you saying it is too much effort to read through a story a second time to change up the story and have a completely different read? It seems to me that in some cases it can almost be like playing a different game with the same stats on different playthroughs, so it is like playing two games once rather than one game twice sometimes. I surely hope you mean that making the games is much effort, else I am very disappointed that tapping a screen a few times and reading some words that someone else wrote and coded is too much work.

@Galador I think he was indicating that the textual outcome for the reader from a single choice isn’t reflective of the quantity of time required to plan, write, and code that choice.

@Drazen Okay, that makes a whole lot more sense! The effort of creating the game doesn’t show through when a different choice is made even though the text does change, making it seem to be more trouble than it is worth to put in different paths and such.

I’ve tried writing a choicescript game a while back. I got frustrated with it before I even got halfway past the prologue. It’s annoying, really. You can try for hours to write the right things on it, but all the codes get in the way until you can’t really see what you’re writing.

It’s hard to write things that sound good in the literal sense when you’re obstructed by lines of code.

Besides that, it also has to be a game. Complete with a stats screen and a save system and a whole load of other things. After three frustrating months in which I tore a small section of my hair and almost smashed my computer, I decided to give up.

It just doesn’t show. The effort you have to put to read simutaneously in two ways, in the literal sense and the coding sense, just frustrates me, not to mention all the things that can go wrong in the code and all the stuff you have to do just to give a character different stats, not to mention different endings, different scenes, different branches in the storyline… There are tons of things we have to do to make a good CoG.

Then, people just look at the game and think it’s a game that costs more than games like Zenonia, and that the lazy developers didn’t even bother to give graphics for it.

I’m not sure how many of us are able to be such a good writer and such a good coder at the same time, that they can read codes without being obstructed by lines of descriptions and dialogues, and read lines of codes and dialogues without being obstructed by codes, but unless you’re capable of that, I can’t possibly see how people can write CoGs without being frustrated by the process.

Well, the process is very frustrating, but that will only add to the sense of accomplishment when at last you are finished with it! I, of course, have yet to accomplish this feat since I keep getting different ideas and whatnot that I want to use in new games and can never complete one before a new idea strikes. It is true, unless you have a completely linear story where the reader will see every bit of detail every time they play, a lot of the work will not be demonstrated by looking at the final product in only a single time through. To take this back to the original topic of the discussion, that’s part of the beauty of playing through multiple times. Once you have played through and found all of the additional content, the whole is much greater than it was the first time.

Just a thought:
Sabres of Infinity is about 200 000 words long. I know this because I’ve done a word count on every scene in the game and added it all together.

Maybe 15k of those words are code of some sort or other. Another 10k would be reference. The rest is story. That’s 175k words total. In print, that would be nearly 600 pages, closing on what is commonly known as “doorstopper length”.

However, Sabres of Infinity is not a linear story. One chapter, for example, has three separate and completely different versions. The climax forks into two branches, each about 10k words long. I can’t really give an exact figure of how long an individual playthrough is, but I can make a guess:

Before I submitted to CoG, I did a full run, without going backwards, restarting or dying (having the code on hand to avoid making choices which I knew led to death helped). It took me about three and a half hours.

I read at a rate of about a trade paperback page a minute. That means 300 words a minute, give or take. That means 18 000 words an hour. Extrapolating that figure, that would mean my playthrough was about 65 000 words: 217 trade paperback pages, or about 35% of the full story text of the game. It would, at least, require three playthroughs to see all the meaningful content (that is, not including throwaway lines based on stats or minor interactions) in SoI. If a player skims over the stuff that they’ve read before, that’s still eight hours or so, reading at a rate of 300 words a minute.

Just throwing that out there.

2 Likes

Sabres of Infinity is the Mount Everest of Choicescript games, and it’s longer than Choice of Romance and Choice of Intrigues combined. Comparing SoI to Affairs of the Court is hardly fair to the poor CoGs.

Of course, you can’t beat the price for CoR and CoI. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

@Cataphrak

Thats a lot of words. Unnatural passed the 146,200 word mark and I’m still writing. I just wish there was an easier way of splitting code and story as I’m curious what the % split between story and code is.

@Nocturnal_Stillness
I took about 2000 words from one chapter and separated it into code and narrative. I got about 160 words of code and 1840 words of narrative, so I extrapolated that.

Of course, it’d very from writer to writer. I can sometimes lose myself in writing narrative sections and forget to put in a choice or stat-based consequence for a couple hundred words, so I’d imagine my narrative to code ratio is rather high.

Anyway, even if you buy a book, you would certainly read it more than once(Or is this just me?), so CS games are definitely worth the price.

1 Like