NPCs you wish you could romance, but can't

Go for it! :slight_smile:

Right!! at first i try tochase him, but after some many playtrough i search the way to romance him and feel defeated when i know he isn’t included in RO list :cry: luckyly, there is Finch who can consoled my sadness

Right!! he is perfect, and that give me more reason to hate the gods and betray them :smiling_imp:

im not too fond of rejection, but when you put it like that, i think its better than being forced by the game

its Luiz for me… He is too damn cute in his own way… sadly the Author isn’t around anymore, i really looking forward for their next game in Magikiras world :sob:

7 Likes

This is a nice point. I feel like it can be valuable to have romance experiences fleshed out that include a fuller range of experience, including the unrequited.
One of my most moving experiences in Choice of Games was with Hollywood Visionary, where the grip broke up with my main character at the end. It was a sad ending, but a very good story.

For what it’s worth, my opinion would be that it makes a big difference whether the options are a bunch of straight people, someone MC-sexual, and maybe a token gay person… or whether there’s a more even mix. The former way inclines to make same-gender romance an afterthought, but if there’s more of a mix it feels more lifelike to me. It could also depend on the number of options available.

I have noticed that the official games include same-gender only Jenny (Heroes Rise), Brett (Metahuman), and JJ (gender-flipping, Slammed), but I don’t recall seeing any opposite-gender only characters.

There’s already an option to flirt with him :slight_smile:
It’s just not very effective.

To be fair, I don’t think it was written with that in mind, and I’m not really sure if anyone else would’ve felt the same way. I don’t really expect authors to write unrequited love text for every character you could possibly like.
It worked quite well on the roleplaying end, though, and it was fun to imagine :smile:

And I am quite happy :slight_smile: also heartbroken, but you know :blush:
I just couldn’t neglect the mention with this as the thread topic.

2 Likes

Huh, or maybe I wasn’t the only person to feel that way after all!

The thing with Finch is that if you go with the rebels or the temple path you can get a sort of hopefuly maybe someday ending but not really an ever after with him, so I haven’t really gone for much of a Finch ending.
On the other hand, Alexandra is one of the few characters who I’m surprisingly willing to go hetero for.

2 Likes

Apparently I managed to accidentally make the one can’t-be-romanced-under-any-circumstances character in my WIP also be the one everyone wants as an LI :smile: whoops…

7 Likes

Games just get a bit fleshed out during the beta testing process. It was just related to that. I can’t remember the specifics. It’s one of the reasons I used to love testing games though because you could see them change and grow and get better.

There’s the creepy stalker in Choice of Robots. All of the marriage prospects in Broadsides are heterosexual only relationships. I’m sure there’s a few others around.

4 Likes

Fortunately, @idonotlikeusernames helped me catch one of them (and quite a few people do seem to like him), but it’s a bit late for poor @TSSL now.

3 Likes

of course you’re not the only one who interested in hate-love relationship with him XD and Alexandra is cute to romance as well, though i find Finch more appealing and i endep up trying all of his ending XD

2 Likes

There are a few like Morgan from Pendragon Rise (they are the opposite gender as you) and Aaron from MetaHuman (can only be romanced by women).

But the majority of RO who have a preference, are gay.

So there was this handheld RPG by the name Class of Heroes which gives you about a hundred character sheets to mess with per file.
For whatever reason they made the dwarves look kind of like small dogs. Funny enough this makes them furrier than the cat people.

There’s a dwarf which is always drinking and always has his shirt open. I crave to give him belly rubs every time we talk but functionally he’s just a clinic NPC.
Well he had some quests too.

The polar bear butler from Read Only Memories. He’s a normal everyday polar bear instead of an anthro. Adopted from a super soldier program and having an UNFINISHED translation device strapped to his head he still manages to be so adorable and I want to give him all the hugs.

I was tempted to add the cartographer from Pirate’s Fate (a VN) but that game isn’t even out yet. I want to pinch their cheeks so bad.

1 Like

[quote=“TSSL, post:22, topic:21737”]
One of my most moving experiences in Choice of Games was with Hollywood Visionary, where the grip broke up with my main character at the end. It was a sad ending, but a very good story.[/quote]

The very first time I ever truly felt the dew in my eyes, when both grip and star showed up to support in love and unification. I thought, what is this waking dream, I’m allowed both?! I’ve thrown my coins COG’s way ever since. Even if such a case is still quite rare.

Though, I suppose this might be more suited for the “NPCs you wish you could poly, but can’t” thread.[/dreams of Sammy, Phil, Chi, Ryu on tandem bicycle]

3 Likes

Aaron’s bi. He’s available to men too.

Not so. In the official choice of games.

What have I created…? (And at least three of them wouldn’t really be happy to be shared. Phil wouldn’t mind, unless it was with Lani.)

2 Likes

Oh yeah, I forgot about Tammy/Silas. Not sure why they don’t just match whichever gender you’re already pursuing, but I enjoyed Tammy as she was anyway, and I really wasn’t planning to romance anyway…

Edit: Bleh, quoted this and forgot to write my response.
I was just gonna say I had too much trouble bringing myself to work for the government faction to continue on with the Finch romance.

I think the text even mentioned him having had both boyfriends and girlfriends, which I liked, since it meant his sexuality didn’t just “go away.”

Sometimes it can be hard to choose. I had a difficult time with the decision in Slammed and Fall of Daria.
I’d like to point out Choice of the Petal Throne as an example where you can marry as many as four people, though!

Hmm, don’t official games tend to gender swap anyway? What’s the variation like in hosted games?

I remember “The Iron Destinies” assumed that I like “she” atoms :stuck_out_tongue:

You have created gorgeous guys, and that is nothing to be ashamed of.

5 Likes

In the official games, if there’s an opposite-sex romance, there has to be same-sex too. There’s a couple of gay only characters, a couple of straight only characters throughout all of the games, and almost all the others are available to anybody.

In Hosted Games there’s more games with male only protagonists than there are with female only. (Not sure if there’s any with female only protagonist yet.) And they’re more likely to make you just straight. I’ve not played all the Hosted Games though.

1 Like

JJ, Jenny, 2 RO from Pendragon, Brett are homosexual only

While only Morgan and Tammy/Silas are straight. I’m not going to count the marriages from choice of broadside because they are all shallow.

1 Like

Hmmmm…Lady Argent

1 Like

Who said you will not be able to romance her?

She is not an RO option at the moment, it is TBD

[quote=“ParrotWatcher, post:32, topic:21737”]
What have I created…?[/quote]

Something that could have represented true beauty?

[quote=“ParrotWatcher, post:32, topic:21737”]
Phil wouldn’t mind, unless it was with Lani.[/quote]

[/dreams of Sammy, Chi, Ryu on tandem bicycle]

{silently judges Phil until his inevitable death in my mind}

And I’ve never been prouder.

1 Like

Oh and Choice of Game werewolves. Well actually all the werewolves in fiction like this.

Sure we get the option to romance their human side rather frequently but I’d like to see their wolf see us as more than “that thing I’m supposed to fight for”.