New lines creating unwanted spaces

I’ve got a question: Is there a way to stop the insertion of a space between two different lines?
Example of what I mean:
red rum
outputs: red rum
Is there a way to make it output: redrum?

The main problem I’m actually running into is with *if commands. An example of the problem I’m having:
*set color_contradiction true ...blah blah blah... The wine *if color_contradiction , however, is red.
Output: …blah blah blah… The wine , however, is red.
Notice the extra space around ----^ here.

Anyone know a way to get rid of that?

I am not a programer but why not put
The wine,
*if color_contradiction
however,
is red.

Hope this helps.

Because then if color_contradiction =/= true the output is: “The wine, is red.” It adds an extra comma that way.

Edit: Also, I’m working on an ingame clock right now, and it keeps adding spaces between the numbers if I use *if commands. I’ve nearly eliminated the need for if commands in the middle of the clock, but no matter what I try, I can’t get double zeros to display properly.

When I look at your code I can see that the extra space is actually included in your code. You have “(space),(space)however,” in your code.

@Blade That’s because the *if command has to be indented.

@reaperoa Well since it seems to be a problem with the syntax of the script language, then I suggest that you do something like this…

*set color_con true
…Blah blah blah…

*if color_con
The wine, however, is red!
*else
The wine is red!

…Blah bleh bleh…

I know it’s more of a pain but at least it works.

@Blade True, and that is how I fixed some of the problems (most I fixed by altering the sentences altogether). Another way I found to fix the problem (which was more useful in cases involving numbers, such as the ingame clock I am working on) was something like this:
*set color_con true *if color_con *set sentence123 ", however, " *if color_con = false *set sentence123 " " ...blah... The wine${sentence123}is red.
(Note: I didn’t check if this actually works right, it’s just a close approximation to what I did with my clock… after I figured out that I had typed in the wrong variable for the umteenth time).

So, yea, I’ve figured out about three work arounds:

1. Reword the sentence.
  2. Have *if commands control more than they otherwise need to, so as to cause the *if command to no longer need to start with a character other than space.
  3. Turn what you want to be alterable into a variable, and have an *if command change the variable just before it shows up.

In any case, the still leaves the question: Does anyone know if it possible to stop that space from showing up? (At this point it is less a question of need, and more of idle curiosity, so unless you have something particularly interesting and relevant to state, no need to tell me another work around.)

@Reaperoa: I’m pernickety enough to have been bothered by the same thing, and if there’s a space-removal fix, I haven’t figured it out. So I’ve been using your workarounds 1 and 2. In particular I’ve found it helpful to use spaced dashes where I might otherwise have used commas.

Two examples from my game in progress. The first is a bit of dialogue that changes depending on what “raids” you’ve already chosen to send your rebel bandits on, and the second is a description that changes if you suspect there may be a traitor in your band. They work if you’re stylistically happy to have spaces around your dashes.

`
“We didn’t start this rebellion so we could hide out in the hills and raid
*if caravan
merchant caravans, or
*if temple
corrupt priests, or
the aristocracy’s winter grain barns
*if noble
or even helot-killing nobles like the de Merre
– we’re here to bring down the Empire.”

It’s not easy to find suitably vulnerable targets
*if traitor
– especially when you can’t send anyone who might be a traitor on reconnaissance –
and your band soon spends more time searching than raiding.
`