Nested Choices? I'm not sure what to call this

You find Polanski standing on one of the various bridges that overlooks a large pool of water inside the station. Unlike usual, she’s not wearing her uniform. Instead Polanski has opted for a pair of short heels which buckle over her feet, a pair of stockings which alternate between white and purple and a dark blue dress which leaves her shoulders exposed. She does not notice you as you approach at first; completely focused on the water and the various kinds of life that exist within it. When she does finally notice you she nearly jumps out of her skin. 

“O-oh! Hey… Captain! Good morning! I mean evening…” she starts as she immediately begins to fidget. 

“Polanski… remember to breathe.” you tell her. 

“Of course, Captain. What did you need?” she says as she relaxes enough to at least have a conversation with. 

*label PolanskiStationConversation

*choice
     *hide_reuse# "I was wondering if you wanted to come with me somewhere. I think I saw an arcade in the market." 
      *if (Polanski >= 70)
       *set Polanski +3
       *goto Arcade
      *if (Polanski <= 69)
       *set Polanski -2
       *goto PolanskiStationConversation
     *hide_reuse# "I came to check up on you and make sure you're doing alright." 
      "I'm doing okay, Captain. I really like the water here. It's... peaceful." 
      *set Polanski +1
     *hide_reuse #"Just making sure you're not doing anything against regulations."
      "Nothing against regulations, Captain. Just... enjoying the scenery. Was there something else you needed?"
       *set Polanski -1 
     *hide_reuse #"That's all, for now, Polanski."
      "Of course, Captain. I'll see you around." Polanski replies as she goes back to looking at the water with a far away look on her features. 
      *goto StationChoices

I’m trying to create a loop here that displays the text below the choices but without having to create a new label for it since these options are small and generally speaking would not require an entire label.

Any suggestions?

Also I have no idea what happened with the ` that was supposed to separate the code from the rest.

Edit: That is apparently exactly how it works.

1 Like

Apologies for the additional bump.

It would seem that this works for dialogue or descriptions that only take up a single line. However, many of the choices (their descriptions specifically) are taking up multiple paragraphs of dialogue and description.

Will this require a label? Or is there a way to input code in a way that makes it more efficient?

I’m not certain what exactly you want to do. can these options be repeated (as in will the choice appear several times?)

as for having multiple parapgraphs in a flavor text: that boils down to formatting, aka it needs the correct indentation:

*choice
   #option
      text
      (free line with indents)
      text
      (free line)
      text
   #option
1 Like

Thankies!

Also, if I understand you correctly, this choicebody is called a few times, right?

Correct. Within the context of this specific situation.

So, if I understood you correctly, you will need labels to ‘call’ the choicebody again.

A gosub might work well here?

No need. The text will only be repeated within this same scene.

ah, not a sub_scene. a gosub.

basically

text

text

*gosub choice

text text

text
*gosub choice

text
*finish (end of chapter)

*label choice
*choice
   #choicestuff
      text

text
      *return
1 Like

Never considered it. I’ll give it a try though I think the less wordy way will be to nest it.

Apologies. I forgot to include the line of code that allows a save in the last update. I will include that in the patch that I make today. I was testing a few lines of code and just forgot to put the *sm line back in.

This topic was automatically closed 24 hours after the last reply. If you want to reopen your WiP, contact the moderators.