Multi player CoG?

@CJW
But would it work with devices such as Kindles?
And technically, the game wouldn’t have to be “online” for leaderboards, if you have something you can store data with, whenever a player saves, you can save his data, and if it’s high, it’ll go on the top of the leaderboard, and if it’s low, it won’t.

What about an online co-op detective story? Might that work? Like let’s say that there are 4 scenes that you can start out in, you do a random computer pick, and each one could affect the other, for example like using an Evidence stat and depending on what evidence you have different things happen.

@Headhunter180
It depends what you mean by co-op.
You could sit with a friend and have an option of a “two player game” in the beginning of the game. But if you mean something like online co-op, I don’t know if that would be possible, but then again, my knowledge on things such as Javascript are limited.

I think an off-line co-op that relied on something like the password system would be incredibly fun to design. I hope someone takes up that challenge and does something really awesome with the idea. :smiley:

A game that could work well here would be a multi-player murder-mystery. One player is the murderer and the other is a potential victim, trying to discover the murderer.
If the murderer kills the victim, he wins the game. If the victim identifies the murderer, she wins. This would be turn-based and easy to do on one device with choicescript as it is.

For replayability, the murderer and controlled victim should be randomly chosen at the start. The actions of each potential victim would also have to be random. This would be very much a game rather than a story.

1 Like

@andymwhy That could be incredibly good fun if it was well done!
‘Pass the Tablet’ kind of house party game.

@Cynthia It’d work in the Kindle’s BROWSER but it wouldn’t work as a native app.
But then anything hacked that much beyond the traditional scope of choicescript wouldn’t be authed by CoG for native app use on any device, so that’s not a big deal.

What I mean is it’d be possible for you to actually say have achievements or points for choicescript games and then at the end of the game it’ll display other users’ highscores and achievements.

It would be quite interesting to see who on the forum has been playing what etc

A co-op would be fun with an RPG type of game (or a game like Patrician III where everyone does whatever he wants on the same map in multiplayer). Fighting together against monsters, sharing the loot, trading, doing quests together would be engaging for most people (all of those turn-based, of course).

Also, a game like “The Race” would be fun in a co-op (instead of picking a partner controlled by the computer, you’d play with a friend).

Hmmm… now that could be possible… The Race 2, in another country, with puzzles that require co-op… I like that idea!

I like the co-op idea, i think a fighting(wrestling or ? ) would/could be done this way without to much problems, until you start adding stat base choices, then the amount of work sky rockets. Like if you are to attack someone, player one chooses how he/she would(head on), then player two would choose(circles round to flank them), then the scene plays out taking in to account what options were picked

Mayhaps it could be done over Bluetooth?

I like the idea of bluetooth as you’d be with that person, but I still stand on my comment that unless your reading together(on the same device) the game would just move to slow for anyone to enjoy

Lol correction, thought I had commented on that, Dam New Years…

Being on the same device will bring other problems that need to be solved, especially for a game which pits the players against each other.

Anyway, on the whole, I dislike the idea of multiplayer cogs. Sure, being able to play with someone maybe fun for a few times, but cogs are not like the other genre (I.e. games like fps), cogs have a more limited replayability in terms of the game aspect (Note: NOT the narrative aspect). Being multiplayer will no doubt increase the workload of the author, since the he/she will be needed to write from more than one perspective, thus requiring the decrease in depth of the game to keep it reasonable. The trade off is, in my opinion, not worth it. What makes cog attractive IS the depth and the seeing how your choice alters the story. I believe the authors should focus on the advantage of this medium.

That’s all for now, will probably write a more detailed response when I can think more clearly

Oh I have no doubt about it increasing the work load, and you’d never get the return on your hard work $$ but I’d disagree that the depth of a story would suffer, in fact I’d almost say the opposite considering the increase in available options

@DreamWalker I don’t know about the $$ return.
For most of the current games out there, ADDING a multiplayer component would not yield a good return, you’re correct on that front.

But I think if someone were to build a game SPECIFICALLY for multiplayer from the ground up, something like @andymwhy suggested for example, I can see it breeding some very unexpected interest.

Why? I’d never even comprehended that something like what andy said could be done but even now I’ve heard him merely suggest it - I want to play it and show it to my friends… It sounds like really good fun.

1 Like

I’m bogged down with work at the moment, so you’d have to wait a long while for me to make that game. If anyone else wants to run with it, I’d be happy to add input, though. I think you’re right, CJW - It would be a great game!

Lol yea it would!