Collaborative Project

Heyo, everybody! So I had a bit of a crazy idea. After I stopped progress on my old game, (it was too much work, and I’m a lazy person) I wanted to make something new. But I also didn’t have a lot of time.

And I expect that there’s more than a lot of people in the same boat.

So, wouldn’t it be cool to have different people write different chapters of an IF game? It would be more versatile, and with more writers, it would be finished faster, and could cover multiple genres.

If anybody wants to, send me a message. It would be awesome if lots of people did it.

And if nobody’s interested? Meh. Haven’t even started the project yet, so no loss.

A project with more than two or three writers would be riddled with continuity issues and the writing quality would be inconsistent. The only way it would work, would be if each story was an independent short and the full game functioned as an anthology.

Building off of what ADNox said, I think it could work if they were loosely connected stories of people where maybe you have something that showed up in one chapter show up again in another- just aesthetic sorts of things, like maybe have the same tavern show up in the chapters to let everyone know that the different characters and different plots are all happening in the same place and at the same time, or maybe in some sort of sequential order. If they are at the same time, maybe have a character from an earlier chapter bump into someone on the street and steal their wallet, and the next chapter with that different character starts out by crashing shoulders unintentionally into a person on the street and finding his wallet missing.

I think it would be possible. However I think you’re better to keep the participants relatively small. Or to have everyone assigned different tasks as opposed to just switching out every chapter. There are sites which let you do the switching every chapter choice stories with other people though.

@ADNox you’re right about the continuity, but I was meaning more like a game that was somewhat linear, and although each writer could incorporate paths in their own chapter, they would all end up in the same place.
Sorry, here’s what I mean. Person A writes chapter 1. There’s 3 choices. Choice 1, choice 2, and choice 3. The choices offer different paths, but at the end of each path, they will end up in the same spot.
Person B would then continue from that point.

Also coordinating a group of writers/coders might prove more work then writing it yourself…

@Trask84 I suppose you’re right. Maybe this isn’t such a good idea after all… But it’s just a thought.

@Lackofmops It’s an idea a lot of people engage in. If you do a search you’ll find stories and ‘choice-style’ games written in that manner. It’s not a bad idea as such.

@lackofmops I never said it was not a good idea, I think that with the right group of writers, editors, and coders this could be a briliant idea.

But like all CoG projects it will be a whole lot of work to coordinate.

if you are looking for a two author co-op i am up i face the same prob as u, i am really lazy these days

@Prototype sounds good, send me a message if you are interested.

@lackofmops i send you a message did u get it

Yeah, I got it. Thanks.

I know I’m a couple of months late to this party but I would love to be a part of this … Thing, I think it would be a good way to practice choice script and it would be fun, not to mention the fact that we actually could come up with sone really cool stories/ideas/styles.
but yeah thats just my 2 cents send me a message if this is actually happening.

(Sorry about typos and grammatical errors, feel free to correct me)

group projects never work out, we have tried them many time for example the 10 games the createx team tried to make and ended up splitting up after arguments and members departures, and when me and @irule tried to create a game together, we both got busy and then we both took a lengthy leave of absence… they just don’t work out and they are very frustrating

well createx was a big failure…

but i have something that might be helpfull if you want to work togheter on making a game and that is: Let one person write the game and the other write the characters so every character will have a different personality and stuff like that (i’ve came up with this , this morning lol) this might be helpfull maby

I carnt write because I am writing my own game but I would live to help

Apart from coding

Infinite story is a site like that you can add to games and the author reveiws it and either accepts it or regects it

@Ausar I agree, it’s the perfect system for a light-hearted fun way to do it. I haven’t been there for years, but it was fun. I think it’s pretty quiet these days. The only downside is that you don’t get delayed branching through variables and it can’t be released as a marketable project.

I think that the only way it could work with Choicescript is with a dedicated project manager and clearly defined start and end states. Finding a story with comfortable breaks (like mini-adventures or something) might do it.