May 2023's Writer's Support Thread

So it’s technically the 15th now (by half an hour or so), which normally means snippets.

This month I’ve not actually got a snippet ready, because I just posted my WIP thread (which I’m going to subtly plug here). I’m counting that as a snippet and taking the win.

I’m not normally big into posting my work in public spaces, so the WIP thread was a bit of a psychological barrier for me, and I decided the only way I was going to be able to tackle it was by charging head on and posting it now.
There’s a “completed” chapter there, and it feels a lot easier to get feedback on something small than it would to get feedback on say… 100k words. I’ve already received some useful comments (and released a patch), and I’ve gained a new goal for the rest of the month.

By the end of May I’m aiming to have rewritten the dialogue so that it actually follows the basic rules of grammar, and fixed any other issues that get flagged up. A secondary goal is to get a few thousand words of the second chapter done so I can get a decent flow of new content coming out.

Honestly, posting the thread has flipped a switch in my brain. The stress over what people are going to think is almost completely gone (thanks to the lovely people who have already provided feedback), and I’ve picked up a new burst of energy from somewhere.

P.S That’s a lovely lil pup @Eric_Moser. Look at that tongue!

8 Likes