Maximum Posts in PM or Discussions

So, they’ve basically told us flat out no, they aren’t going to reimplement the setting (citing a major performance issue), so there’s nothing we can do at the moment. The PM thread limit is still in question, but it might be hard too.

So, with that in mind, if you thread is one of the ones that was closed and you’re not at least a Leader, you can ask me to change whatever on your thread to make that jump easier (if you’re a Leader, you should be able to do it yourself, although you can still ask if you need something). That will basically be the MO for overly long threads in the future, i.e. that you can cut them off (probably preferably closing the old one), and start anew at some point.

PM’s however, are a different matter. There’s a 500 limit on PM’s, and I have really no idea how many long PM threads there are that will be affected by this. That said, there’s a couple of options. I put a poll down below, and most of the options are self explanatory. So, to explain the one that isn’t, unlisted threads are threads that are not displayed on any list of threads, but instead are only accessible via a direct link. The thing is, you need at minimum a leader to help you set that up, and a mod (i.e. me) is preferable (If you’re a leader, the best order of operations is to have the user create the thread, then unlist it, so they own the thread, or to kick it up to me, where I can just create it owned from the start). You can @ in unlisted threads, and they have the same 10k cap as regular threads. They aren’t really as secure as PMs because they’re only security through obscurity, rather than an actual lock and key, but good enough IMO.

That said, if you want an unlisted thread, tell me and I can create one for you.

• I would use unlisted threads.
  • I’ll keep using PMs even with the limit.
  • I switch to another way to communicate (e-mail, chat room, etc.).
  • I have another plan way to keep going (discuss below).
  • I already don’t use the forums for private betas, but use some other method.
  • I don’t do private betas.

0 voters

6 Likes