Looking help writing a disabled PC (Multiple types of disabilites)

I hope @Felicity_Banks won’t mind, but rather than create an entirely new thread asking a similarly themed question, I would like to piggyback on the promising discussion already here.

I have been open in the past about wanting to include a more diverse cast of characters in our upcoming sequel, inspired in no small part by my mother, who has MS. It was difficult to watch her struggle with the emotional lows of learning to live with this disease, but one of the things I love about her (and a coping tool I have proudly inherited from her) is a strong, sarcastic, self-deprecating sense of humor.

I mention this because I have included an NPC in our story who just happens to use a wheelchair and other handicap accessibility tools (which are mentioned in acknowledgement, especially when function needs to be taken in consideration to the story’s action, but not in a way that makes it a defining feature of the character, I hope). I have done a TON of research to get this right and be respectful. I would love to include some of that self-deprecating humor and laid back style, though I worry that from an “average abilitied” author, it may come off wrong, no matter the inspiration or intentions. It does not come up often and I know this is hard gauge without a playthrough to peruse, but one example is when the MC and another character are whispering to one another:

Looking back over his shoulder, he waves to get your attention. “Umm, hello? You two know my ears still work just fine, right? What’s the big secret?”

I have also thought of other ways to word this in case it’s too much, but I would love to hear some honest thoughts. Please and thank you!

3 Likes