Kidnapped! A Royal Birthday – BETA TESTERS NEEDED

You’re a damsel, (or an imperiled person) but not in distress! Conspirators have imprisoned you, and plot to usurp your throne. Take command of your inept but well-intended rescuers, and escape the tower. Battle bizarre monsters, and outwit your foes! When you were crowned Royal Heir, the kingdom was torn asunder by a confederacy of traitors. You must take charge of a brazen knight, a snarky amazon, a cursed enchantress, and a humble peasant to escape your captors.

Fight the three-headed Chimera, the two-eyed Biclops, and a horde of insatiable gnomes (they’re surprisingly dangerous after a few drinks). Wield swords, or magic, or fight with your wits and grace. If all else fails, pummel your enemies with a chamberpot tied to a stick.

Directions for beta-testing:
Email us, beta AT choiceofgames for access. (This changed several months ago, so take note if you haven’t beta tested in a while.)

• Do not send me DMs/PMs through the forum mail system, Discord, text message, carrier pigeon, or any other method than email.
  • When you send your EMAIL, include: – the game you want to test in the Subject line of the email. – your forum-name – your real name (first and last) — if your family/surname comes first, please indicate that. I will assume that your given name is listed first unless you tell me otherwise.
  • Do not email us multiple times about joining a beta. If you don’t email us as soon as we post a beta, you go into a queue. As we post new drafts, we admit more people from the queue. Eventually, we will get to you.

When you have been admitted to the beta, we will send you a link, a username, and a password as a reply to your email.

When you have feedback to submit:

• Return feedback to beta@choiceofgames, preferably part of the same email thread/chain, rather than a new one.
  • Please send screenshots or copy/pasted quotes as often as you can; it helps us track down whatever observation you’re making. In particular, the author may see things that you don’t, and/or the screenshot may contain more information than you realize.
  • If you’re submitting feedback using the Bug/Submit button in the game, make sure you include your handle/name in the body of the email. The Submit button obscures your email address, and I can’t give you credit for feedback if I don’t know who you are.

DO NOT POST ASKING WHAT THE BETA EMAIL ADDRESS IS. The first test to becoming a beta tester is inferring what it is based on the above paragraph.

Lastly, you cannot be testing two games at once. Send feedback on one and you can apply to another.

Tips on How to Give Feedback
I’m looking for “high level” and “low level” feedback. Not mid-level feedback.

Low-level = typos and continuity errors. A continuity error is when a character’s gender flips, or someone comes back from the dead, or you run into a plotline that just doesn’t make sense (because it’s probably a coding error).

For these low-level issues, screenshots are very helpful. If you see a problem, take a screenshot, or copy and paste the text that is in error, and email that.

“High level” feedback has to do with things like plot, pacing, and characters. “Scene A didn’t work for me because x, y, and z,” is useful feedback. “B character was entirely unsympathetic, because u, w, and v,” is also useful feedback.

“Mid-level” feedback describes things like grammar, style, word choice, or the use of commas. As I said above, I do not want mid-level feedback. In particular, DO NOT WRITE TO ME ABOUT COMMAS.

“I had a great time and saw only a few spelling errors,” is not useful feedback. In fact, it’s the sort of thing that results in you not being given access to future betas.

Some examples of useful feedback
In Choice of the Dragon, you get to choose what type of wings you have: leather or scaled. Someone wrote in and asked about having feathered wings. Great suggestion! Done!

In “The Eagle’s Heir,” someone asked about Eugenie. They said that the romance moved too quickly–because she only appeared in the last third of the game–and wished they could have had an opportunity to meet her earlier. So the authors added an opportunity to meet her and start the romance earlier in the game (in a scene that already existed).

In “Demon Mark: A Russian Saga” several people commented on how the PC’s parents were unsympathetic, so the authors added a choice or two to deepen the relationship with the parents in the first chapter, to help better establish their characters.

Similarly, pointing out a specific choice and saying, “this is who I imagined my character was at this particular moment, and none of these options seemed right for me. I would have liked an option to do X instead,” is also really helpful feedback.

Another useful piece of feedback: if you choose an #option and then the results of that #option don’t make sense. Like, if you thought an #option might test one stat, but it seems to have tested a different one.

37 Likes

Oh my gosh I snorted at this, lol

I love the sense of humor from this blurb alone, and I bet the game itself is a laugh riot! Wish I had the time to beta test myself, so I greatly appreciate everyone who volunteers on this to make this game the best version of itself. :smiley:

Super looking forward to this one!!

17 Likes

New draft posted! v 20483

A bunch of rebalancing done on the endings, but the first round of feedback/fixes has not been applied yet, will be on the next draft. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

New draft posted! v 20493.

If you’ve signed up for this beta, be patient: we only admit people in batches, when we have a new draft, and there’s been a huge number of people who’ve signed up.

• Corrected typos and exposed code

• Added “Ready for…” header to stats page (The Ball vs Adventure)

• Added generic name for stats page at start of game. Added “character_created” code in Ch 1 so that this changes when the player selects name and gender.

• Changed Demerits counter to a number on stats page (Instead of a percentage)

• Added Adriana/Quinn’s name to the relationship bar on the stats page.

• Corrected Quinn’s non-binary gender pronouns

• Corrected PC non-binary gender pronouns

• Added a space to Baroness “von Fontlebottom” in Ch 2, 3, 14

• Added a “Play nice” option to Ch 1 when the PC first meets Edward and Leticia.

• Edited dialog in the “Where do little Amazons come from” scene in Ch 9. Made the stat check to get the final exposition easier to pass. Made the exposition more blunt that: Yes there are transgender Amazons and Khorosa might be trans.

• Added a choice after this, so players can express approval.

• Added code so that non-binary PC’s or non-binary Quinns will always see this dialog even if they fail the stat check.

• Made Damsel Guild stat checks harder in the final chapters. Added more penalties to PremiumMembership and Freelance Damsel in earlier chapters.

3 Likes

This is fantastic news – the more people exposed to the humor, the more appealing it will be for everyone.

1 Like

Are you beta-ing it? Always love to have your feedback.

I’ll make time to do so; I’ll send an email later today.

:two_hearts:

1 Like

New draft posted! v 20519

• Corrected typos and visible code mentioned over the last day.

New draft posted! v 20555

• Corrected typos.
  • Changed “Walking flag” dialog during Khorosa dance scene.
  • Added exotic “Fuzzy slippers” shoe option in Ch 1.
  • Added extra dialog choice before first dance with Lord Mazarin.
  • Set chamberpot as possible weapon option for all players.
  • Added achievement for using the chamberpot
  • Corrected bug regarding who has the bronze broadsword in Ch 11 and 12
  • Corrected bug in Ch 14 that failed to set Leticia as an enemy for some narrative in Ch 15.
  • Changed “chickens” to “Kittens” in gnomepire sequence.
  • “Damsel Guild” stats only appear after the Guild is mentioned in Ch 3.
1 Like

New draft posted! v 20577. Remember to clear your cache before re-playing, use an incognito window, and or hard refresh. Look for the version number in the About tab.

• Corrected typos.
  • Changed “Patriotism” to “Traditional” and “Rebellion” to “Rebellious” to help clarify stat meaning.
  • Removed the term “Lace” from the description of the clothing, to help imply gender neutrality.
  • Added quotes to PC responses to palace scribe in Ch 1
  • Change the “King and country” dialog choice for Broderick in Ch 2 to “His next monarch” to better imply this is a “Distressed” check.
  • Changed “Managing this kingdom” in Ch 3 to better clarify this is a patriotic choice.
  • Added Independent stat changes to fake_choice before player exits the coffin.
  • Changed ““Indeed it would,” you snarl.” stat checks to “*set” stats.
  • Changed coding error in the “Without delay I punch through the glass” choice in Ch 5
  • Changed Greglack interrogation scene in Ch 5 to better indicate which choice will further the “Be nice” line.
  • Changed code in ch 11 so that player cannot be using a torch, and player weapon will change to rapier.
  • Changed narrative about the Black Blade in Ch 7 to better foreshadow the poisoned handkerchief in Ch 15.
  • Altered narrative in first meeting with Mazarin so that “Fencing match” does not include references to dancing.
  • Changed “Gave the Rat King some cheese” to clarify that palace guards kill him while he is distracted by the PC.
  • Corrected two references to General Forrester as “Martin” his original name.
  • Added second reference to Leticia’s torn sleeves in CH 2
  • Added choices to express interest in polyamorous relationship in ch 15
  • Fixed coding error in Ch 6 that wrongly kept Rose from being named the “Mort Distraction” sometimes.
  • Corrected “Turkey Leg” code to specify what PC has for breakfast before storming the castle.
  • Corrected Quinn pronouns for non-binary playthroughs.

New draft posted! v 20591

• Corrected typos
  • Corrected “set stat” code for Damsel Guild choices in Ch 4.
  • Added additional Narrative to Ch 4, implying the PC has spent more time in the tower before the rescuers arrive.
  • Added “The goblins” choice when discussing which enemy is most dangerous in Ch 1
  • Added more vivid descriptions of clothing in ch 1.
  • Added an additional Enchantment choice to the rat king (And a Nutcracker reference)
  • Corrected code error for which party member fires the steam cannon in Ch 8
  • Added second and third dance at the ball in Ch 2, with more flirting, and *set stat options.
  • Added scene with Edward and Leticia at the end of Ch 2, with *set stat options.
  • Changed dialog in Ch 5 to specify the PC trying to appease Broderick’s sense of heroism when the PC refuses to fight the chimera on the roof.
  • Changed continuity error where Leticia leaves the ballroom in one scene, but is still there in the next.
  • Added additional narrative to the “…” choices to bluntly imply that these are references to Telltale Games Minecraft and Game of Thrones.
1 Like

New draft posted. Please, please check the version number on the About page before you play and submit feedback. If it isn’t this version, v 20598, refresh your browser, clear your cache, play in an incognito window.

• Corrected typos, grammar and visible code.
  • Corrected typo on start page for an Achievement
  • Changed dialog during first tea with Madame Arjon so that “Blue Blood” dialog is more obviously a joke.
  • Added subroutine to Ch 4 to assign gender pronouns to the party member who gets the horses.
2 Likes

Thanks for your feedback, everyone! The beta is now closed. Make sure you wishlist the game on Steam (it really helps us, even if you don’t plan to buy it on Steam.)

6 Likes