Jazz Age -- HEART'S CHOICE -- BETA TESTERS NEEDED

New draft posted!

General

• Fixed the way stats are displayed (removed underscores, fixed capitalization)

• Fixed glitch when PC chooses own name (previously not displayed properly)

• Fixed coding error that made sex scenes run into each other

• Fixed italics/typos throughout game

• Put all stats on one page for easier viewing (If this is now too long, I can break it into two. I’ll look forward to further feedback.)

• End-of-game success checks are easier

Ch. 1

• Increased Charm stat if PC chooses to say something clever to heckler

• Edited PC’s first interaction with Lila to make it clear that she is glamorous like Josephine Baker, rather than saying she looks just like her (to avoid racist implication that all Black women look alike).

Ch. 2

• removed assumption that PC has a possible crush on Lila and added an interest check early in chapter

• removed assumption that PC is interested in John at first meeting/added option to ignore him

Ch. 3

• fixed continuity errors

• removed instance where game chooses PC’s reaction for them re: inviting Lang to dinner

Ch. 4

• removed continuity error (invited Lang to Lila’s Place, so his appearance is not unexpected)

• added text to allow more nuanced responses to John’s insistence that the PC work for him/spy on Lila

Ch. 5

• Fixed code error - some options weren’t being shown re: choice to tell Lila about John’s demand to spy on her

Ch. 7

• fixed code error (indent *goto next when talking to Vilma about union)

• fixed continuity error re: placing phone call in Ch. 4

Ch. 9

• fixed continuity error (Toni’s mention of going to callback audition)

• removed duplicate para re: mortgage on farm

Ch. 10

• Fixed coding error that cut out some of John’s dialogue when PC asks if he’ll stay the night

A note to beta testers from the author:

Thank you so much for your feedback! This is my first CoG game and I am learning lots from your comments. There were some instances where I chose not to make revisions in favour of historical accuracy in word choice/slang, but I looked at and considered all of your suggestions carefully. I also kept in some anachronisms to make it easier for modern readers to follow along (eg. - the FBI wasn’t called the FBI until the 1930s).

I also wanted to let you know that I will think about larger “story” revisions once I finish fixing continuity/typos/coding errors. (For example, one tester suggested being given a choice not to romance either of John or Lila. I haven’t included that option because this is being marketed as a romance game, but I am open to the possibility* and will talk to my editor.)

*And me, her editor says: we received this kind of feedback–“I’m not interested in romancing any of these romance options”–from some testers on Love at Elevation. I don’t think there’s a good solution here. The game is a romance game and there’s a possibility some readers won’t feel interested in the romances in the game as they’re written! :woman_shrugging:. It’s not a sandbox. I’m not inclined to have the author do a significant rewrite so that there’s a playthrough with no romances.

11 Likes