Invalid return; we've already returned from the last gosub

Hi everyone, I seem to be having trouble with one of my scenes passing random test. The error is:
apollosphinx line 2163: invalid return; we’ve already returned from the last gosub

That line does correspond to a *return command but I’m not sure why it’s saying it’s “already returned.”

I’ve got two different sequences that have a gosub to this section (I checked they weren’t gotos).
It’s basically

*label homeending

A few paragraphs of text here (including a fake choice and some *if’s)

*return

The line above lable is a *goto_scene ending from a different storyline branch so there shouldn’t be anything from above ending up in this paragraph by mistake. I also haven’t used the *finish or *ending command anywhere in this scene. Any suggestions?

(Code including the first line of the section above and below. I’ve taken out large blocks of text so there’s not pages to read through and avoid major spoilers.)

*goto_scene ending		

*label homeending

The time had marched by with a speed that made it hard to believe it'd been five years to the day since
*if (leaveegypt = "no")
	Text here
*if (leaveegypt != "no")	
	Text here

Text here

*fake_choice
	#"You know there's not.....
		Text here

#"Sometimes I miss......
		Text here

#"There are times....
		Text here

Text here

*if (sphinxinjury != "dead")
	Although    
*if (sphinxinjury = "dead")
	Surprisingly given everything that transpired, 

More text here

*return

*label spearchoice

My coding guess would be that somehow your subroutine is being used as the story passes through it, and that might not count as a call. Maybe a choice hasn’t been finished, so the random test goes through in a way you weren’t counting. You could try putting the subroutine in a different or entirely new file and see what happens.

It means that, for some reason, you are in the subroutine while not have actually called the subroutine. Honestly, I don’t think this is a problem that can be solved by sharing code, short of sharing the entire game. (Then again, maybe it’s a bug IDK, never count anything out.) That said, randomtest lists the choices it made for a reason. Can you reproduce by selecting the same options randomtest did?

Thanks for the replies. I think I’ve worked it out. One of the gosub’s was within a fake choice which seemed to upset it. (Which I should have thought about since fake choices don’t usually link anywhere.) I changed the fake_choice to a normal choice and it seems to pass random test now :slight_smile: