Interest Gauge - 3 Possible Projects

So, I have been convinced to start a project of my own. My current problems are the following:

• I need to find some better tutorials for using CS. Or, if I can examine a game and figure out the code for myself that would work as well.,

• I have three things that interest me and it’s hard to pick just one. So I figured I’d gauge the interest of the community and run from there. I can either do:

• Science fiction featuring a mercenary with AI-controlled nanobots within his body. Part of what was considered a failed experiment, you escaped the destruction of the laboratory and are now selling your abilities to the highest bidder. A contract will force you to confront your past. I have probably performed the most world building for this story in the hopes of writing a standard novel. It can be retooled for a choice story.

• Again going back into the Sci-Fi realm. This time you are a fighter pilot whose ship finds itself cut off from Earth and must fight its way back home. This world is still rudimentary but I know the “feel” that I’m going for. I would need to determine my antagonist and their goal but I feel it would be a fun project.

• I also have a lot of experience writing in the fantasy genre (low and high). I haven’t had any particular setting in mind but I have DM’d many campaigns, so creating a new setting and running with it should be no problem.

So, I look forward to hearing from this community. If anyone is curious about my writing style, keep an eye out for @Sophia’s work Kingdoms: A Man’s Journey as I will have a fan fic appearing there in the next update. If anyone has any questions for me, feel free to let me know and I’ll get back ASAP.

• Mercenary Story
  • Starfighter Story
  • Fantasy Story

0 voters

6 Likes

I for one, am a big fan of the merc one. It just seems so original compared to the others, no offense. Just want to offer encouragement and well wishes! Good luck!

5 Likes

You can read published games’ code pretty easily (as long as you have access to the part of the game you’re looking at normally – for example, I can’t view code for Heroes Rise beyond the first couple scenes because I haven’t bought the game). There’s a thread explaining how here:

I’ve learned a lot just by diving in and learning how to do stuff as I need it. Coding tutorials tend to be way more interesting and easier to follow if you’ve got a specific goal in mind. Learning about concepts in isolation isn’t particularly memorable, but suddenly finding a new way to solve a problem is very satisfying

1 Like

I agree! Seems there are a lot of fantasy games, and a lot of the sci-fi is about flying a starship. A mercenary character sounds interesting to play (and replay, with a different emphasis). And if you’ve already put some work into building the world, even better. My own project started as a more traditional story, but I kept asking myself ‘what if X happened instead,’ and a game seems to be a better fit.

Well, I admit that I am not surprised by the amount of votes for fantasy as it is a popular genre here.

What did surprise me is the strong surge for merc over the past couple hours. I will keep the poll open for a while longer but I can already tell I won’t be channeling Wing Commander nostalgia anytime soon. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Actually…merc is in the 55%

That is exactly what I have been needing. Thank you!

Still #1. Star Fighter would have to receive a lot of votes to catch up with the other 2.

You can try and merge both of them…?

Well, it would eventually happen under my original plan. It would be a different story in the same universe.

1 Like

And his fanfic is extraordinary! :smile:

Yes! Thank you!

tears of joy

I believe I have all the data that I need. Mods, you are welcome to close this thread as I will be making a new thread for the WIP. Thanks again everyone!

1 Like

You have to summon the mod to do that :v
@moderators

1 Like