Infimus! - Supervillainy, Self-Loathing And Shapeshifting (12/2/2021 MAJOR UPDATE: Noise Art)

Infimus is a supervillain RPG where you do crimes, mutate your body into new and improbable shapes, pet walruses and upend the existing superhero-led world order for fun and profit. It’s about changing yourself while being both clay and sculptor. You can become the universe’s strongest, smartest or coolest supervillain while wrangling a varied cast of like-minded superpowered bastards and reconciling with the fact that, no matter how high you climb in the Hierarchy of Shapes, you will still be a colossal mess.

• Create your own supervillain, from their name and personality to their ultimate aim.
  • Rival, befriend and/or romance a varied cast of heroes and villains with such incredible powers as “growing flowers”, “having slot machines for eyes” and “having an impeccable English accent”.
  • Retrace the steps of the villains who came before you, in a conflict as old as humanity itself.
  • Hunt for the body parts of the greatest superhero the world has ever known.

Starring, among others:

The Manifold Mask, who is sadly You, the Protagonist

Sexuality: You choose!

What kind of villain are you? Do you terrorize heroes and civilians alike, your monstrous shape trampling them underfoot? Do you slink in the shadows, identities only transient masks, barely a shadow in your target’s eyes? Do you plan, ponder, and mold people as easily as you mold your own body? And, when the moment comes, will you save the world or damn it?

Also, do you drink enough milk? That’s important. You need it for strong bones.

Spoilers

None so far.

Spin, cut in two by the Zeitgeist

Sexuality: Asexual

Long time supervillain turned robot. His eyes are slot machines which can spin, giving him one from a set of random powers. Those powers can be very, very bad. Or very, very good. Apart from that, he has superhuman strength and durability, a reputation for messing up every job he takes, and a tendency to ramble about whatever comes to his mind.

Spoilers

None so far.

Flowerboy/girl, nodding to the world's heartbeat

Sexuality: Yes

Yes, it’s a Tyler the Creator reference. No, I don’t know why this character does half the things they do. If I did, I wouldn’t be writing them. A wildcard spices up every story, and they definitely are one. They are mercurial, unpredictable, always smiling. They can make flowers grow from anywhere. They will bring about the end of the world.

Spoilers

None so far.

Verve, always one step ahead

Sexuality: Straight

Supervillain recruit. She can shut down the powers of superpowered beings she touches, but that’s not really what makes her dangerous. She is a meticulous planner, a glutton for information, and intends to cut her way through the world of heroes and villains with the edge of her intellect.

Spoilers

None so far.

Content warnings:
Mild body horror.

Current total word count: 48,571
Words added since last major update: ~25,000

You can play it here:
https://dashingdon.com/go/8686

Updates every Saturday with devlogs every Wednesday.
Latest update:

Latest devlog:

Patreon: Joseph Ferrante | Patreon
Twitter: https://twitter.com/gferrante31
Join this newsletter to be notified as soon as an update comes out: https://infimusupdates.substack.com

This is my (hopefully successful) attempt at making a videogame which lets you play a compelling, deep and interesting supervillain character in a well developed setting with equally well developed characters. Saw there really wasn’t much like it around, so I decided to try my hand at it.

If there’s any bugs, subpar writing, or any other issues with the game, let me know.

260 Likes

8 Likes

You had me at petting walruses.

This was a really good demo, and I’m interested in seeing where this is going!

11 Likes

This is going to be a weird one, count me in!

You and me both.

9 Likes

You get a bookmark just for being able to play as a villain

9 Likes

will you got me hooked :grin: :+1: :ok_hand: :grinning: :astonished:

2 Likes

Already getting Ultron vibes here!

“You want to protect the world but you don’t want it to change. How is humanity saved if it’s not allowed to… evolve?”

11 Likes

I wrote *goto instead of *goto_scene and that crashed the game, cutting off the last third of the demo and your encounter with one of my favorite characters. Oops.

Sorry y’all. Should be fixed now.

1 Like

I can’t see the stats?

1 Like

1 Like

Stats aren’t implemented just yet. But I’ve uploaded a blank stats.txt scene because dashingdon crashes if you click on stats and there’s not even a scene for them, so that should work.

@Hector_Lopez That should be fixed in the version I uploaded just this minute. Sorry for the inconvenience.

1 Like

The errors that are happening in this particular scene all seem to be indentation bloopers. They probably aren’t aligning like columns in the raw text, which can cause things to go loopy when nesting a few different layers of choices.

1 Like

Yep, that’s it. Think I’ve rooted out all of them, but I’ll give that scene another look after lunch, just to be sure.

Also I’ve fixed an issue with pronouns not displaying correctly.

5 Likes

There may be more in that scene

1 Like

Got it, fixed. Thank you.

I really like the plot and the immersion and world creation. Those are the structural pilars holding up the story.
However, the plot felt a bit rushed at certain places like when after discovering our masked identity V calls out our name or like during her interview the last part about working together.
Really love the friendly banter and humour Olaf brings into the mix.

Error :

Few days “after/later” you

1 Like

Thank you, fixed it. Verve knows your name because you told it to the Fox in front of the whole Hall, and she was present. I should’ve made it clearer, in hindsight.

Mmm, I’m not happy with her instantly asking you to work with her either. I’ll probably move that to a scene later on with her.

2 Likes

Yeah I agree but mostly I meant regarding the pacing. Taking things down a bit slow. You provided a perfect example yourself -

Keep up the good work :beers:

3 Likes

Supervillainy, self-loathing, shapeshifting. Sounds like my jam.

8 Likes

Sounds interesting

1 Like