I'm thinking about making writing my career

@Drazen
0? For you, yes, because you’re thinking like that. You just used an absolute so you’re effectively incorrect. I’ve never seen a positive or insightful comment from you, nor are you working on a book of your own (at least to my knowledge) so I take your input with a grain of a salt…a very, very small grain of salt.

@DJ_CUTY If you treat criticism with petulance, you’ll get nowhere. But frankly, by the look of it, criticism already has to get past your rather arrogant overconfidence, on this issue, so all I can say is, - enjoy your fortune.

Edit: And an FYI, the salt added is supposed to be inversely proportional to the amount of value you place in the opinion, to which you are responding.

@Drazen
Thank you, mighty and all knowing scholar. I think you mistake arrogance for not being a pessimist in regards to my dreams. Good job. Enjoy your fruitless immobility.

@DJ_CUTY Mhm, ok.

@Drazen
I think you need to learn the difference between blatant and insulting criticism, as opposed to constructive criticism. I guess being an author isn’t realistic, but criticizing everything you see while thinking arrogantly of yourself as a genius is a great career choice. Enjoy your…well…certainly not a fortune. But enjoy whatever it gets you. I guess.

@DJ_CUTY Well, I’ll treat your points accordingly. Are you quite finished with this queer tirade against my response in particular?

Err, I do think you need to face thing realistically. Even if your work is amazing, it is still part of a very niche genre, and will not have a lot of publicity. So you do need to be prepared for years and years of struggling. There are plenty of good writers who can’t make a living out of their work, because there is much more to the business than the quality of the product.

Look at all the indie developers out there - even if they get their games on Steam, even if they sell a lot, it’s not a guaranteed smooth sailing from there. Being independent is a constant struggle, and denying the possibility of failure lowers your chances of overcoming it.
Shooting for the stars is great, just keep your legs on the ground.

Plus, as any creator can tell you, you will probably be treated to plenty of critics like Drazen’s (cold, hard statements is the modus operandi of internet critics, it seems). If you get upset at each one, your blood pressure will kill you.

3 Likes

@DJ_CUTY Look, you were the one who initiated this weird little personal attack, I only came to warn you away from putting all your faith in one venture, which has effectively zero chance to pay off as a viable life-sustaining enterprise. And you can stay here, spewing bile from your imaginary high ground, but keep in mind that continuing this fruitless attempt to provoke me only puts you in violation of rule 4.

1 Like

@Jackrabbit
Yeah I understand. I have things to fall back on, and I’m not betting on this, I just hope that it will turn out well, as every author does.

@Drazen
0.0 you’re unbelievable. Okay.

@DJ_CUTY Good.

@Drazen “I only came to warn you away from putting all your faith into one venture, which has effectively zero chance to pay off as a viable life-sustaining enterprise”.

You could say the same about making money from blogging and making money from YouTube. However lo and behold there are those who do. So saying “effectively zero chance” is

1. quite blunt (not that I could fault anyone for that as it has its time and place)
  2. false

@Headhunter180
Yepp. To say authors can’t live off being authors is absolutely absurd. Tell that to J.R.R. Tolkien and J.K. Rowling. A lot of authors don’t make it, but a lot do. It depends on your talent. He’s just a pessimist with nothing else to do but put down aspiring people, apparently.

@Headhunter180 Yes, I could. I would expect bloggers and Youtubers to get a proper job, and not put all their time and effort into the vague hope of a massive payoff. And further, saying effectively zero is not false. The number of people who strike gold doing such things are so low as to be *effectively*, i.e. for all intent and purpose, zero.

@DJ_CUTY Once again, kindly put bit and bridle over those personal affronts.

1 Like

And @DJ_CUTY fanning the flames of an argument is not a practice I’d recommend. You always have the option of ignoring it, as the saying goes “Pay no attention to what the critics say; no statue has ever been put up to a critic.” Jean Sibelius.

@Drazen
Being a novelist is far different from being a blogger and Youtuber.
And oh I’m sooo sorry. I thought that when you came onto MY discussion bashing on MY dream, telling me that I had ZERO chance of living off my novel, and doing all of this SARDONICALLY, that you wanted to be treated in kind. I guess not. Here, have some cookies and a massage while you’re at it.

@Headhunter180
You have a good point, and normally I’d follow that, but Drazen basically waits for my discussions so that he can pounce onto them with a purely negative view and negative tangents.

Well, being a author is hard enough, but I think Drazen was referring to your aspiring as living mostly off CoG games. Because those are fairly niche, it’s harder to make money off them than something as mainstream as Youtube. The levels of exposure are completely different, no to mention the demography of Cog is not the same as Youtube’s, or regular books, for that matter.
There are more people who will buy a book than a CoG game, if they hear about the game at all (casual games sites like Gamezebo and JayIsGames are your friends here)

Of course, the niche part means there is less competition, so there’s that. It’s really about how many people you can appeal to - since your target audience is fairly small to being with, creating a highly specific contemt (a game about the mating habits of toads, for example) won’t work. So there is alot to think about beside the inherent quality of the work.

By the way, ignoring critics altogether is not advisable either… It’s simply that it’s no use getting upset over it, or letting critics (or audience) dictate the content. Criticism is one of the most important tools of any creator.

1 Like

@Jackrabbit
I’m also going to write conventional style novels. But even so, that doesn’t mean he has to tell me that I have
“0” percent chance of living off it. He hasn’t seen the sales, because they haven’t even happened yet and yet he’s already bashing on them. I seem to remember that Choice of the Dragon has sold like 3 million units

“A proper job”.

@Drazen Apparently working your ass off under a boss you abhor for ten dollars an hour 40 hours a week is now considered proper, (quite sad, but that’s another story for another time). I’ll simply say my opinions differ, obviously, and leave it at that.

@DJ_CUTY If you don’t want honest criticism, perhaps its not wise to post your dreams onto forums meant for exposing ideas for criticism.

And in all honesty, I’ve simply said exactly what others have, here, in a more direct manner, - and given your persistence in trying to direct this conversation into a torrent of abuse against myself, I think that as merely a humble user, its time to step aside and let the administration moderate the tone of this discussion themselves.

@Jasonstephenhill, @Havenstone, @Reaporea, @CJW, @JimD, @Fairygodfeather.

@Drazen
So, support is out of the question? Hmm.