I'm Sorry, But I Think We Should See Other People - ROs You Hate

Totally agree with you, I love A’s route in Wayhaven so much. When it takes a while for the relationship to progress, it feels slightly more realistic and I root for the characters much more.

In Evertree Inn, although Lamuel/Leah is an absolute sweetheart, some of the scenes shared between mc and L were just way too fast paced for me and personally I disliked it somewhat.
Not sure if I can consider that hating the RO either.

I’m hopeful they will grow on me by sordwin. :slight_smile:

10 Likes

Yes! Exactly this! Well-written slow burn romances are just :ok_hand::sparkles::sparkles:

4 Likes

Hasn’t it gotten beyond slow burn at this point? All the way into the sixth game seems like it would just be stretching it to unrealistic proportions

26 Likes

I hate them for one reason: for me, “slow-burn” is double-speak for “needlessly dragged out until you don’t care anymore.”

I’m human, which means I’m mortal. I’m also not ten (not implying that everyone who loves slow-burn is, but I’m making a point), so I’ve seen enough of the world, of life and love, to realize that I am going to die at some point, and that point may be sooner rather than later, so wasting my time pining over shit for months or years hoping something may come of it simply does not compute for me.

That was fine when I was a young teen or pre-teen and figured I would live forever. Once I hit 25 (which seemed to be the point where I suddenly realized I was not immortal and I did not know everything), I had no patience for it.

Now, if “slow-burn” was actually a slightly slower-developing relationship, then fine. That’s kind of normal. But the whole taking a year for a hand touch or peck on the cheek is ludicrous to me. And I can’t comprehend not knowing how you feel about someone until years pass and you, maybe, have managed to touch their hand. I know how I feel about people within minutes of meeting them, and though that may change over time, it doesn’t take that damned long. But, then again, I’m very instinct-driven, so YMMV.

To those who love reading about the needless angst of “oh, but I can’t!!” or taking years before the MC actually goes on a date with the person they love, more power to you. But when I see that, it feels incredibly alien and ridiculous to me.

It also makes me want to write fan-fic where one of the couple dies before they can get together as a lesson not to wait so damned long and to make up their minds!

49 Likes

I agree with all of this, there’s a difference between slow bird and needlessly dragging out a drama for angst purposes

22 Likes

Maybe that’s a cultural thing? I can totally understand taking a few years before a complete stranger turns into a person you’re comfortable with hugging. It’s not angst though.

12 Likes

Well, I guess realism is relative, because to me it’s more realistic to meet someone, agree to go out and beeline straight to bed not long after or before :rofl: You don’t usually spend months pursuing the same person while they keep rejecting you or don’t seem interested, at least I hope nobody reading this does.

15 Likes

Ngl, this is why I like reading through these topics: it’s always interesting to see how people’s opinions differ.

I’m the exact opposite, because I hate fast burn romances lmao. For me fast burn is extremely unrealistic and comes off as rushed and contrived, and it doesn’t give me the satisfaction of seeing the two parties growing to like each other.

The really funny thing is, I dislike fast burn and insta-love romances so much that I have genuinely thought about writing a fanfic where two people get into a relationship too fast and it goes bad because they eventually realize they rushed things/their SO wasn’t who they were expecting them to be initially.

Though mind you, for me “slow burn” isn’t necessarily associated with “will-they-won’t-they-done-to-death”. For me it’s more “seeing the relationship slowly evolve and develop into a romance”. I love seeing the developing trust and understanding between the two parties as they get to know each other better and rely om each other more intimately.

Now, in A’s case, I don’t see the romance as just slow burn. I see it as a slow burn and angst romance, if that makes sense? Basically it’s slow burn, but it’s :sparkles: angsty :sparkles: slow burn.

Obviously I can see why people don’t like the angst and the “but I mustn’t!!” stuff, and I agree that if it goes on for too long it gets tiring. But seeing it in fiction always fills my sadistic little drama queen heart with joy haha

15 Likes

Imagine if you JUST HAD to romance A before you can Unlock M! Oy Vey! :rofl:

2 Likes

But that’s the thing though, that’s very realistic :rofl: And it happens all the time.
Unlike in romance, sex and kissing aren’t a culmination of an arc for most people, they aren’t a reward after a long soul-searching and getting to know one another. They are just things people do.
I agree that insta-love is often portrayed as fairy-taleish and cheesy, though it isn’t completely unheard of - but fast burn? Passion? It’s almost common.
That doesn’t mean the couple or possible couple knows one another, it’s just the beginning.

15 Likes

Well, like you said, realism is relative. Irl, I’m not personally comfortable with meeting someone and immediately agreeing to go out and sleep with them. I’d much rather get to know them first, even if it takes time.

And that point of view also seems to be the general consensus in my entourage, which means I’ve interacted with a lot more people who preferred to take their time with relationships than people who enjoy faster relationships or one-night stands.

So I guess it also depends on what you’re used to seeing and what you grew up with irl

28 Likes

I think this is one reason slow-burn drives me nuts. I want to see the relationship, not a never-ending build-up where they finally get to kiss at the end and then the story is over. I want to see after. I want to see them dealing with problems together, living day-to-day life with each other (and how they relate that way). In other words, I want to see their life together, not just how they got together. Especially not if “how they get together” is a whole lot of pining, angsty bullshit that could be avoided if one of the parties involved actually speaks up and says something about what they want or how they feel.

I guess it boils down to the fact that I don’t see “romance” as longing looks, giggles, and pissy avoidance of getting together. That, to me, is just childish bullshit. Romance, for me, comes after the initial “gee, I think I like you” part and is the actual relationship and strengthening of it through experiences together.

It’s definitely not unheard of. My husband and I had that… and have been together longer than a lot of you have been alive. He often says it’s obvious we’re soulmates since I haven’t beaten him to death with an iron skillet yet. He’s not wrong…

Bingo. Couldn’t have said it better myself. Also applicable for me.

I’d romance F with my incompetent, 20-year-old, “I don’t wanna grow up” detective and be done with it. I couldn’t suffer through beginning A to get to M. Wouldn’t be worth it (since I’ll probably be dead before we get to b6 when we get a relationship with A!).

28 Likes

It feels like a lot of media has a weird hatred for portraying loving relationships in general.

Oh, two characters got together in book one? Sorry! Looks like they hate each other now.

47 Likes

The funny thing is, way back in the earlier posts of this thread, that was one of the big complaints we all had about Wayhaven making you choose a romance to lock into at book one: there’s six other books for us to decide we actually hate this person, and you want us to lock in now?!

12 Likes

Okay yes, this also drove me mad.

Like?? I tend to avoid picking the flirt options for the “I-dislike-fast-burn” reasons stated above, so when the time came to choose an RO, my character basically just went from “Lmao let me do my gd job” to “My heart :sparkles: pounds :sparkles: everytime I’m near you”, which is honestly gd hilarious to me

14 Likes

YOU SHUT YOUR GODDAMN MOUTH!!!

:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

11 Likes

Please dont give author such ideas :sweat_smile:

8 Likes

I love this idea, just because it would make so many people squirm

4 Likes

And those of us who don’t like A or M would be laughing our asses off.

8 Likes

As soon as you click the demo link, you are compelled to try A romance. The whisper urges you, you cannot resist. Give in, one of us! one of us! one of us! :rofl:

11 Likes