Ideas for Dealing with Writer's Block - Master Thread

do a mental puzzle, that helps you to focus.

1 Like

Think outside the box.
I mean, i’m not much of a writer so what i can tell you is that you need to give birth to the craziest ideas that come out of your mind atm related to the story. Then you separate those ideas and start thinking on how you could work with them, only after this you start thinking and giving logical background to these events.
If this doesn’t work, then go out reading, listening to music or whatever it is that is related to what you’re writing.

1 Like

Wolven storm is wonderful. Actually used to fall asleep to it when I had racebrain.

Another thing I do when I’m stuck on something in particular is to just keep it in my mind and kind of tell my subconscious to “think about it”, then I’ll go and do something else, like stinky work, and every so often give that idea some thought, or even just remind myself what I’m trying to solve. Usually, within the day my subconscious will hand me the answer on a shiny silver platter, and I yell out “GENIUS!!!” regardless of the current situation and number of strange people around (Ps - The whole yelling thing is totally made up). I find it to be quite effective. Sometimes it does take a while when the issue is more complex, but it always seems to work itself out somehow. I swear my subconscious does more writing then I do…

Hey there, it’s me again seeking help from my fellow writers. I’m stuck with this dilemma and I hope that you guys help me out. So, I’m planning to write this novel for a year now, and I haven’t gone past Chapter 1. I did a bunch of revision and even deleted the prologue and rewrite it.

I got so burnt out that I took a few weeks break and just got back to writing my draft a while ago. At first I was having no problems with my writing, until insecurity struck me and hindered my progress. I started thinking that everything that I’m writing is shit. And it discouraged me in finishing my first draft.

How do you guys get past this point? What are some helpful tips you can give me to stop being insecure and keep writing. No matter how many times I spend writing and brainstorming I always land in the conclusion that I wrote something bad and end up ditching my draft and not writing for days or even weeks. Any feedback is appreciated :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Woah, I have been in the same position and kinda still am.

1. If you hit the block, do something else. Write a different part. Think of another game or story. Go outside and take a walk in the forest. These 3 helps me always.
  2. I had this cycle of:
    Write->think its neat->read a book in evening->compare to my writing and think I’m horrible->stop writing->after while getting hopeful and write again-> cycle repeats.

One thing how to get out of “I write badly” is to think about it as training. As it is. First work will never be good (most cases). So just go after enjoying what you write, not thinking how good or bad it is or comparing to how pro writes. I always remind myself that back in middle school I was the slowest boy in sports. Couldn’t run fast if my life depended on it. Then 3 years training in athletics I could outrun anyone in my class. So yeah, don’t worry. Write. Think. Read.

1 Like

(Posting my reply, since the original Topic was closed)

But why do you think it’s bad?

Personally, I don’t have that kind of issue. Cose, I know my short coming. I know how I suck, and that is that. Can’t be helped.

But a story must be told, no matter what.

To me at least, thinking about an idea for a story, the process goes like choosing what to eat.

‘‘Hum…I’m hungry. I could go for some chicken wings? Nah. Maybe a pizza? Nah. Oh how about some Lasagna? Too hot! Too heavy…okay! okay. Got it, stupid brain! Oh I know! How a cheeseburger! Its easy to make, you can eat it while standing, and even a lazy ass like you…can make it fast! So go! get on with it!’’

damn, now I’m hungry.

ahem where was I? Oh yeah. So, pretty much…you may need to build more enthusiasm for your story and from your idea.

Like say ‘‘Oh and the hero will be on the roof of the Hospital! and an Helicopter land, with a sick patient! Oh no, now they gotta watch how to use their powers!’’

Brain: that suck! Ever heard of gravity?

‘‘Shush you! Where was I? And with the wind flapping it’s cape, the hero fire a wire from his hand like Spiderman! And ZOOM! Jump and down they go! ending in a crowd of startled gawing idiots’’

Brain: That’s Plagiarismmmm! Only Spiderman can do that!

‘’ The Hero can see the vilain in the crowd! What a nasty glare! they chase them, as they try to get out of the still gawing idiots of a crowd! Nice Spandex one say! Another is pulling on the cape!! Hey hey hands off! The vilain is getting away!’’

Brain: Snortfest…Zzzz wake me up when it get interesting…

It’s an endless battle against insecurity. But I would recommand to tell the brain to shuttup, and hold tight on your ideas. You can’t be a judge of your own work. It aint your job, you have no training in the departement , and you are making characters cry. I betcha you don’t even write ‘Kleenex’ for them.

Leave the critic to your public. When the voice say you suck! tell them to shuttup, and keep writing. Your characters want to play! they want to live! Keep going for them, and for yourself. You’ll be proud of yourself when you finally do it. :wink:

With this quarantine I can’t do the walks I do before this whole shitstorm happened. I used to stay at a coffee shop near my area and start writing. The reason I am so insecure and a bit perfectionist with this work of mine is because I want to impress myself and also the people around me. I want to let them know that I am good at something, that I am not a useless person. In short this story is also a validation for myself lmao.

Thanks for the advice tho.

2 Likes

Your monologues kinda sums up my thought process. Whenever I’m writing I pause and think if the dialogue fits the character, if the said character’s action are believable etc etc. That causes me to hold back my writing and later on give up.

Thanks for the advice tho. I’m writing an urban fantasy that’s why I’m very meticulous about this. But then I’m an inexperienced writer, I’m new to the field. I shouldn’t expect to write a masterpiece straight away.

1 Like

If you’re experiencing a writers block, find something to eat. because that’s what I do.

Summary

And also you need to watch our for your motivation and asses whether or not you’r making an excuse or not.