How would you tag/label a multi-genre story?

I’m trying to go for a kind of story where the player will basically be immortal and will have to look over humanity somewhat. You can focus on your character being more magic focused or technology focused, and it’ll impact how humanity progresses if you decide to use/share your skills with them. Weird thing is that, since the world the player shapes can be wildly different each playthrough, that means that the setting isn’t really fixed. I can’t really label it an urban fantasy, a high fantasy, sci-fi, steampunk, or anything like that since it’s mostly dependent on the player. Sure, they can go throughout history and interact with people there, but there’s also nothing stopping them from just being a Hermit for a few thousand years either and coming out when it’s the early 2000s, so I’m not sure if I should put in Historical genre in there too.

I think my problem is that I’m giving the player too much freedom in deciding what the setting of the story will be (What period they’ll start off in, whether or not magic is common and normalized or hidden and bizarre) and am not sure how to tackle it, given how ambitious it is for me.

Do I just leave it at “Customization, Management, Movement” or something, or am I just overthinking?

Based on your description, the genre you’re aiming towards is god-simulator (god-sim). It is not a tag the forum has, so I’d write that down and explain it manually in the post instead of tagging them.

3 Likes

I agree that going into detail in the OP is the best course of action, but I believe that creating new tags should still work. At least, I remember being able to create tags when messing around the #game-development:hobby-projects category.

@Novice_Hummingbird If, when you finally post, you find that you can’t create a god-sim tag, let me know and I’ll see what I can do.

No promises though, because Discourse’s tagging system is notoriously glitched.

I personally against creating any new tags since clutter is the bane of a sophomore. The exception is if there’s a lot of usage of it, ofc.