How to get a different scene depending on stats?

I’ve searched everywhere but I can’t seem to find a solution to my exact problem.

I’m currently creating a game where you branch off in to different stories (scenes) depending on your stats. For example if your relationship stats with person A is higher than with B and C, you will end up with person A. If your relationship is higher with B than with A and C, you will end end up with B and so on.

My first try of coding this was supposed to be who you’d dream of (depending on the stats) and looked like this:

*label A
*if (A > 0)
	*if (A > B)
		*if (A > C)
			*goto dreamA

*else
	*goto B

*label B
*if (B > A)
	*if (B > C)
		*if (B > 0)
			*goto dreamB
*else
	*goto C

etc...

I don’t think it’s correct considering I always get an error: It is illegal to fall in to an *else statement; you must *goto or *finish before the end of the indented block.

Could somebody explain how to do this? Sorry in advance if this has been asked before.

Make sure to have a *else for every *if you have. When the code gets to *if (A>B) and this is incorrect (A isn’t bigger than B), there will be an error.

1 Like

Tried it, still get the “you must *goto or *finish…” error on *else *goto B

your missing some additional *else and *goto

*label a
*if (a > 0)
	*if (a > b)
		*if (a > c)
			*goto dreama
		*else
			*goto c
	*else
		*goto b

*else
	*goto b

edited to add:

You could probally simplfify the code a bit by simply doing this.

*label a
*if (a > b)
	*if (a > c)
		*goto dream_a
	*else
		*goto dream_c
*else
	*goto b

*label b
*if (b > c)
	*goto dream_b
*else
	*goto dream_c
5 Likes

Yes, thank you that seemed to solve the problem overall. :slight_smile: I assume there’s no easier (or other) way to do this?

It depends on how much the dream changes.

If you’re essentially checking for the highest stat out of a, b, or c, you could try:

*label a
*if ((a > b) and (a > c))
  *goto dream_a
*elseif (b > c)
  *goto dream_b
*else
  *goto dream_c

If A, B, and C are equal, they’ll be directed to C (or if A and B are equal and greater than C, it goes to B). Otherwise you could do something like:

*label a
*if ((a >= b) and (a >= c))
  *goto dream_a
*elseif (b >= c)
  *goto dream_b
*else
  *goto dream_c

That would prefer A, then B, if two or more stats are equal.

2 Likes

I never thought of this, will definitely try it. In this case it’s not just A, B and C, I have about 4-5 labels so I would need to use a lot parentheses for this :slight_smile: thank you nevertheless.

1 Like