How much work did you put into a game?

I don’t really like this poll. I mean, given the days you might not be able to write, just averaging 1000 words a day would be an achievement.

(Mine was about 500; 140k words from mid-June to January 30).

9 Likes

You know, i asked how “addicted” so that means that people almost nonstop (if they can) write in choicescript.

My average is 1k words per day, but it can vary a lot. Some days I only get 0.5k, and the most I’ve done in one day is 7k, if I’m remembering correctly. During the last couple months of the CoG contest, I wrote like 2k per day, which was insane.

3 Likes

The most I ever wrote in one day was 4k! But most of the time it’s more like 500-1000. And sometimes it’s nothing :woman_shrugging: And sometimes I do work on the story that isn’t directly writing it, like outlining.

1 Like

You have no idea how badly i want to pick one :disappointed_relieved:

2 Likes

This is a tough one. I’m more of a coder than a story writer and I find it difficult to stop myself going over bits of code to improve them and work out better ways to do things. I guess I’m just doing the easier bits (for me) first so my word count is not very high, so far :roll_eyes:

Difficult one, as it depends how busy I am at my job… it can be anything from 1000 to 4000 (that second one is a maximum though, after that I feel I’m going into the burn-zone, and if I stay there for too long I sometimes need to detox for weeks). I think that it is better to really look at monthly max. During May 2016 and 2017 I started Tokyo Wizard and Birth of a Hero, and in each of those months I managed to write half of the final stories (about 40000 words each, over 20 days -I started late-, or about 2000 words a month). Then, I had to detox June for an entire month… so, I guess 2,000 words day x 20 days is my limit!

2 Likes

I agree with most of the others in saying that I can’t really put a number to it. If I’m on a creative binge and the ideas are just coming to me then I could write more than 2k words in day. Normally that leads to me moving on to another story because I burned out all my creative fuels for that one though. If I’m busy then less than 1k. And then there’s those monthly breaks and when life responsibilities come knocking.

1 Like

What sucks is that the number of hours I have to write doesn’t really equate to the amount of writing I get done, even if I’m well rested and I take breaks every so often. It usually takes me about an hour to write 1k, but I wouldn’t get close to 4k in 4 hours because the longer I write, the more exhausted I get, and the more my creative juices run out. :confused:

5 Likes

I think that, while writing Lawless Ones, I was writing an average of 2000 words a day towards the end… But that wasn’t so much out of addiction, rather necessity to meet the deadline. :yum:

3 Likes

You could’ve just moved the deadline right?

It was an entry for the CoG comp, so… No. :yum:

5 Likes

Well then, what place did you make it to?

The contest results are here.

1 Like

Cool, with my game i’m making right now, i’d probably place somewhere in the lower middle (I don’t know why i added that lol)

I have frequent bouts of depression that cause all energy and inspiration to leave, but when I can write, it’s generally a good volume. Last time I picked up The Imperial Shadow I hammered out and edited about 2k words in two hours. It helped that I had a clear outline of what I wanted for the scene, and it helps even more that I err on the side of compact prose, otherwise I’d be even further set back by my brain troubles.

1 Like

I got like 5th place in the competition. :stuck_out_tongue:

4 Likes

Obligatory I Am Not An Author (or IANAN) but I can churn out like 2k words a day maybe? But that was on holiday, and as a teen my responsibilities, such as bills, work, etc. Are super limited.

It also helps that I’m at the beginning of my game where I can say almost anything-- later on I’ll have to make sure I don’t contradict myself

The pro’'s are that over my super long upcoming summer holiday I can finish my game, the cons that I have little experience (unless fiction essays count haha)

1 Like

I was one of three finalists, following three winners and an honorable mention… So I guess that could be anywhere between 5th and 7th. :blush:

4 Likes

That is… A random thing to assume. :yum:

Besides the winners, the finalists and the honorable mention though, the judges don’t really say what order the games placed in.

3 Likes