How many hours/days it takes you to finish a COG/HG novel?

It is just a reality of the situation :slight_smile: However, for most authors, they figure if someone enjoys their work, that is the most important thing of all.

2 Likes

I know, I know… :confused:

1 Like

But think about it this way: if it takes an author 10,000 hours to make a story, and it takes one person about two hours to play through it, all you have to do is get 5,000 people to play through it and it’s basically equal!

Sorta.

1 Like

The hours people have spent playing Choice of Rebels probably passed the hours I spent writing it within the first couple weeks of release. I’m happy with the ratio. :slight_smile:

8 Likes

Havenstone, your game is actually one of the very few that I’m still replaying to this day lol

2 Likes

Everytime i buy a new one i always say to myself - “No matter what, I will never restart. I must see how I would actually do without knowing anything.”

And every single time - I always end up restarting

8 Likes

Usually? About two hours if it’s on the longer side. Occasionally three but I think it’s more likely to be less than that then more.

It’s weird because I don’t consider myself a “speed reader” really, but I tend to read CoGs/HGs much faster than I do anything else, ahaha.

I dunno, I kinda like it because it can sometimes be a good indication that someone got really into the story and just ate it up. I know that’s what happens to me when I love a book, I read a lot faster because I really want to know what happens next. I guess to me the best thing to know is whether or not someone had fun with it- rather than the fact that it took them several months to read as it did write, ahaha.

4 Likes

I’m a fairly slow reader because I really like to digest what I’m reading. My mind likes to multitask – as I’m reading about how Character A did such-and-such, I’m remembering how Character B did something similar and wondering about the connection. I also have pretty significant visual issues that make reading in general quite difficult, so that slows me down as well.

It took me three days, I think, to play Heart of the House the first time, but that was with a lot of stopping. Subsequent (non-sped-through playthroughs) took me an hour and a half? It took me the same amount of time for XoR for my first playthrough – subsequent playthroughs were about two and a half hours or so? I tend to skim parts I’ve read before and slow down for new content.

It takes me a bit to really get into a book (or gamebook). It can take me a few tries, and then I often put the (game)book down when the pace slows or even if it is too exciting and I need a moment to process. I do like taking breaks when I first read/play something, as it does let me think about it all with a bit more depth, which therein lets me appreciate it more.

2 Likes

I will state to you now I am an anomaly in the system. The matrix is displeased. Personally it only takes me 2 hours to read anything and this is no different. If I really get into the game though and play it all the way through? It can take me days. I’m the person that makes all genders, all different choices, explores every romance option, every power or weapon/stats. It really depends I think how much of a “perfectionist” you are.

2 Likes