How do you play Choice of Games?

I guess that depends on what you want out of the games? I think for most people (myself included), we are all interested in the plot and how we would behave in the story as ourselves, so this is a good place to start with if you’re not sure.

I also love playing stories to become a powerful character. What can I say, playing as someone powerful is fun and cathartic XD Others may also take to the opposite. Playing as a “weak” character can let you challenge many obstacles.

If you’re more into plot, the characters, the romance, etc, try sticking to one personality within your character throughout the whole book. Maybe not yourself, but as another person/character entirely.

And of course, you can always play a game again if you want to explore more choices! (There’s also the fact that some of the games just aren’t…great, whereas others are kickass, so it’s also a matter of just finding the right game too.)

Usually my plan is to run through the game once or twice as a “roleplay run”, where i roleplay as close to myself as possible…then i aim for exploration/achievement hunting.

…In practice I die again and again. Think that says something unsavoury about my odds if I actually was actually living in the game’s universe, lol.

hullo, fellow newbie!

I’m trying to avoid this issue myself, and having a difficult time of it. The short story I’m writing, about a student attending a magical academy, has sixteen magical disciplines, three of which are avaliable to the player, Necromancy, Enchanting, and Transmutation.

So far I’m neck deep into the Necromancy route, and I’ve barely touched the other two routes. Similarly the RO that’s attached to the Necromancy route has a lot of in-depth character development, while the RO’s for the other two routes are practically non-existant.

I did manage to complete a romance option for the Generalist route, but I’ve been told by a friend that it’s mean, brutal even, for a supposed slice of life romcom game.

I’ve not been talking to my friend as much since then, because he keeps pestering me to write them a happy ending for the character. It’s just as well there’s a pandemic going on right now, I reckon they’d stop by my home and attempt to pull a “Misery” stunt on me.

At the this point I’m thinking that I might just scrap them, it would feel too much like a betrayal to the story to re-write them.

So, yeah, the Necromancy route is definitely setup to be the canonical route of my story. I’m not sure how popular Necromancy is, if it can stand on it’s own merits, maybe I’d be better of making the story about a school of necromancy, instead of a school of magic.

That’s definitely where my passion is (I loved the Necromancer class from Diablo II), but I’m not sure how many people would be interested in that.

If the character is a blank slate waiting for input, then I usually play them as an expy of myself.

If the character is already “semi-formed” and just needs a name/gender/orientation then I usually play them with the best of intentions; Like a parent guiding their child.

If the character is completely formed, and I’ve given almost no control over how they act or feel, then I usually play them with the worst of intentions: They will be a blight upon their world.

I can`t do anything but play in the most idealistic way possible - helping out whoever I can, trying to save as many people as possible, improve the world.

1 Like