Hosted Games Superhero Universe (MCU style)

I’m in

1 Like

@Oliver_Fell I would be interested in doing this.

Ok looks like we are definitely going to have more than 6 people who want to do this.

I think the best thing to do right now is for everyone who is interested to send me a link to a piece of writing or something on this forum, if you don’t have something like that then just send me a concept for a superhero/supervillain

Wanna ensure that everyone gets a fair shot and that I’m not just picking the first six people who join.

Gonna tag everyone just to make sure you all see this (everyone who has asked to be part of it so far)
@Jaylond_Figures
@Bourbon_neat
@Been
@Blattella
@Aaron_Jacobs
@QuincyAdams
@ailch68
@KwokodileDundee

Also thanks for all the support on this. I’m keen to get down to writing this.

4 Likes

Like, just a general sample? I’ve got a WIP up right now.

It’s a great idea and whether or not I end up participating I’d love to see what you do with this.

Yeah a link to that will be perfect

And thanks :smile:

Yes, my hefty ploy to promote my own story worked. Now you will all see.

3 Likes

If you want my suggestion (and even if you don’t), I would consider picking some alternates. The ratio of WIPs started to WIPs finished is not great, so if you pick just six people for this you have a decent chance of only seeing two or three completed.

To that end, I can’t do this right now since I am finishing my second story, but I would be interested I volunteering as an alternate for whoever the first person is that drops. By that point I would be available, and I have a pretty good idea for a superhero story that is kinda unique to this medium.

11 Likes

I agree, and I would also like to volunteer as an alternate if someone drops.

4 Likes

That is a really awesome idea. Im totally in it. (as a reader. Im not a author)

4 Likes

Same here. I’m not interested in participating, but I’m so eager to watch it develop :grin:

3 Likes

I am a big proponent of the idea of authors teaming up on projects, so I wish you the best of luck on this!

To echo what @hustlertwo said, the attrition rate for WiPs is…well…very high. I think your greatest hurdle will be finding the right number of people who actually finish their sections. If you accept 6 people, you’ll probably only get 1 or 2 of them to deliver (based on math only, not a slam on anyone of course).

And I guess I’m confused about the logistics. Does the reader/player play as each different hero in the different chapters? So they would bounce around being 6 different characters? And then in the penultimate chapter they play as…who exactly?

I just thought it might be good to nail these specifics down before you go too far down the road.

16 Likes

Is this “for fun” or for a planned full scale HG release? Just be aware if it’s a planned release, that if one of your authors disappears part way through the project, decides they don’t like where it is going or for what ever reason can’t or won’t fill in all the paperwork COG requires, get tax treaties etc, it may not be possible to publish it unless you completely rewrite any of the sections that have their character in it. If it’s just for fun, go for it :smiley:

For inspiration, if you look at the other two finished group HG’s: Starship adventures and Lost in the pages, they’re written in a modular/episode like format with the same core characters. It makes things easier to splice together at the end, and isn’t as much of a drama if not everyone gets their section done- you just leave it out or get someone else to write it.

15 Likes

Yeah those are great points too. As a planned HG release, this would be nearly impossible to ever complete because of all the logistical and legal issues. People pop up in these forums and disappear all the time, and there’s no way to track them or find them if they do (unless everyone shares personal info).

Then you have to verify where everyone lives (because of tax treaties and the like)

Then when people inevitably disappear, you have to replace them with new people, but every time that happens, that keeps the remaining people from moving forward with the ending. And as Jaci said, you can’t just use a section of story if the original author ghosts somewhere along the line. It has to be tossed or completely rewritten to exclude all of the “ghosting” author’s contributions. If/when all the story elements get combined, it basically becomes “everyone’s” IP (everyone meaning all the participating authors) so if one person becomes an issue, everyone is screwed.

11 Likes

Wouldn’t the team up book be betterbif you just choose from the beginnign what hero you want to be. Likenfor example book 1 is iron man 2 is captain america 3 is thor 4 is hulk. And then you just follow the avenger story but say if you picked thor then you only follow thor in that playthrough and start from when he captires Loki and fights iron man or if you play as Hulk you start from where hes a doctor in india.

Woildn’t it be that each author owns their own character and then they all give permission for them to be used in the collective work?

Maybe, if everyone…and the Rock means everyone…actually executes legally binding agreements that CoG/HG would view as sufficient to protect their interests (i.e. them not getting sued by someone later claiming they own part of the story but never got paid).

What are the chances of people here being that precise and professional with contracts?

(Sorry for thread-jacking, I will stop!)

2 Likes

I’ve got a barebones wip up right now, it may not illustrate my story writing abilities to the best level as it’s too early to have much story. (But it definitely shows I understand choicescript!) However, I’ve got a superhero concept for you. Keep in mind this is purely me taking down notes with a bare hint of actual writing in it, so don’t take her description as a full example of my writing as this is mostly unedited and was there just to make sure I knew my character’s backstory before starting the table top game. Also I don’t know if our character needs to be the one we’d use for this project or not. If you really like her specifically I wouldn’t mind using her, but I was mostly sending this as an example of what I’m able to develop and would likely want to make a new character for this project!

WIP:

Character:

(Let me know if that character concept document is viewable!)

Character Concept:
Raul Jacobs took the Armageddon superhuman serum, giving him a massive body transformation, making him stand at 8 foot and becoming extremely muscular, He gained Superhuman Strength, Superhuman durability, regenerative healing factor. the limit to his superhuman strength is unknown.

1 Like

Thought I sent the link through a private message but it didn’t seem to have sent so I’ll just hop on the bandwagon and post it here :grin:

This goes to a WIP that I currently have a prologue for. Demonstrates some of my writing style and how I like to structure a CS game.

This seems like a great project…that I probably cant/wont do haha. As I’m pretty sure someone said, I’d be interested in maybe being an alternative for somebody who wants to drop out. Good luck with the project- it seems like itll be fun! :slight_smile:

1 Like